A Liar's Autobiography

Is this the new Monty Python product we were looking for? What do you think about it?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/a_liars_autobiography/videos/4214/a_liars_autobiography_official_trailer/

I liked the book when I read it about 20 years ago. More recently I also enjoyed Calcium Made Interesting and Looks Like a Brown Trouser Job. I wonder if Eric Idle's absence from this new film is due to antagonism with John Cleese? I didn't think much of He's Not the Messiah, despite my pretensions of snobbery.

I liked "I'm Not There", the alternative biopic of Bob Dylan. There were several strange scenes that represented Bob Dylan's life without ever mentioning him. It was strange and funny.
Maybe this one is in a similar vein. Strange episodic tale telling that somehow portrays Graham.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 10 2012, 9:36 AM BST

I liked "I'm Not There", the alternative biopic of Bob Dylan. There were several strange scenes that represented Bob Dylan's life without ever mentioning him. It was strange and funny.
Maybe this one is in a similar vein. Strange episodic tale telling that somehow portrays Graham.

I thought it was just a bunch of 3D cartoons portraying various events recounted in Chapman's autobiography, with Chapman providing the narration (having recorded an audio version of his book), and the other Pythons (except Idle) doing the other voices. And maybe some of his anecdotes from Looks Like A Brown Trouser Job.

Did the Bob Dylan biopic mention Phil Ochs? Or show Dylan's disdain for being labeled an "anarchist".

Quote: Kenneth @ September 10 2012, 2:22 PM BST

I thought it was just a bunch of 3D cartoons portraying various events recounted in Chapman's autobiography, with Chapman providing the narration (having recorded an audio version of his book), and the other Pythons (except Idle) doing the other voices. And maybe some of his anecdotes from Looks Like A Brown Trouser Job.

Did the Bob Dylan biopic mention Phil Ochs? Or show Dylan's disdain for being labeled an "anarchist".

It's this "cobbled together" feel why I associated the Chapman film with the Dylan one.

I can't remember all the details of "I'm Not There" but I doubt Phil Ochs was mentioned cause the film was (veeeeeeeery) loosely based on Dylan's life. But they definitely used original quotes and put them into a different context.
I liked the scene with the character played by Cate Blanchett (she really looked like young Dylan) where the journalists desperately try to get any statements of this shy, tight-lipped but also cynical rockstar/artist guy (like Dylan).
Jounalist: "Please, a word to your fans"
Dylan/Blanchett: "Astronaut!"

Ha, she really does look like him!

And also slightly like Dexter Fletcher...

It's a very funny (in places) and deliciously deranged film.

Want to see this. liked the book

I didn't know it was so old.

Quite amusing but not sure I can watch an hour and a half of it.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 10th September 2012, 3:40 PM BST

Dylan/Blanchett: "Astronaut!"

Looks like Dory Previn.

I'd never heard of this, but I thought it was a really good effort - I especially liked the way they'd adapted the self-wrestle routine for symbolic puposes - yeah, alright, sophomoric stiff, but I thought it worked well; and morphing into the Black Knight was cute.

Highly enjoyable, in short.

I feel, as with the original book, the ending is a bit pointless - "I went to California but didn't like ti all that much" seems a drab way to end an interesting life story.

I was disappointed by it. :(

It was kind of tied to Graham's narration of the book, Curt. :|

True.