Not Going Out - Series 6 Page 8

Quote: Aaron @ April 9 2013, 5:50 PM BST

This is certainly not a series I would describe as even nearing "hyper-reality", and that is the sole such mistake I have noticed out of all 35 (and a half) episodes broadcast to date. Poor acting, yes, and a single example of sloppy direction, but I shan't be condemning the series on that one isolated incident.

I do not recognise any woodenness in Mack either. He is not an actor and yes it shows on occasion, but his performance has never jarred nor caused me to question the programme. It may indeed be far more notably out of place were he to appear in a Rising Damp or a Steptoe And Son, but for Not Going Out it works just fine.

Thank you for your serious reply. I will certainly watch the next few episodes of the series and then make up my mind again. As I said, I was enjoying it on the whole...and maybe, who knows, it'll become one of my "modern" faves. But I certainly won't give up on my DVDs of classic sitcoms.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ April 9 2013, 3:49 PM BST

It's not just "Not Going Out" but things like the Sue Perkins show and various others just have me constantly thinking "why would she do that?" or "why is he saying that?".

That's the main reason why I've loathed everything Ricky Gervais has done since The Office.

His miserable sitcoms are littered from start to finish with the exact thing your talking about and it gets right on my tit end.

This is why Daisy is a poor character. It's like "She simply would not ever ever say that!"

Is it lazy writing or just shit writing?

Maybe both.

I think Daisy's like that as being dim is a cheap source of laughs. That's the problem I had with Reg in Goodnight Sweetheart and the three farmers in The Green Green Grass. When dimness is done right, like Trigger in Only Fools, it can be very effective and funny, but Daisy is often cringe-worthy. Still, she's very pretty.

Quote: lofthouse @ April 9 2013, 8:08 PM BST

This is why Daisy is a poor character. It's like "She simply would not ever ever say that!"

Is it lazy writing or just shit writing?

Maybe both.

Agree. I have to admit I've hated Not Going Out from day one.

IMO, comedy should be rooted in truth. NGO doesn't have an ounce of it.

Feel free to disagree.

The first episode was fantastic however I thought the lack of Tim was bad and without Tim I really miss this show. But it was enjoyable to watch and I will be watching the rest of the series and see how it goes. But great acting from Lee Mack. I really miss Tim. I cannot wait for the 7th series it could be funnier than the rest. Well done NGO for an excellent episode!

Quote: David Smith @ April 10 2013, 7:16 PM BST

The first episode was fantastic however I thought the lack of Tim was bad and without Tim I really miss this show. But it was enjoyable to watch and I will be watching the rest of the series and see how it goes. But great acting from Lee Mack. I really miss Tim. I cannot wait for the 7th series it could be funnier than the rest. Well done NGO for an excellent episode!

I agree, David!

Quote: David Smith @ April 10 2013, 7:16 PM BST

I really miss Tim. I cannot wait for the 7th series it could be funnier than the rest.

Don't you want to watch the 6th first?

Rather amusing final 10 minutes or so, but very slow until that point. Not a patch on Rabbit.

Yes, I was enjoying it. I'm surprised about the "animal cruelty" in this show...it was my second ever episode; already three violently killed animals. I like that but I thought p.c. kills such things these days.

Not at all. It's just a nice change that it's not a kitten on the receiving end.

:D

Quote: Aaron @ April 12 2013, 10:00 PM BST

Rather amusing final 10 minutes or so, but very slow until that point. Not a patch on Rabbit.

Same here. I had a feeling this was the shark-jumping moment but luckily it got better.

Lee had 2 or 3 "Basil Fawlty"-moments. Being slapped by a woman was one...and the way he reacted cynically shouting.

"I already removed her knickers! Never return to a lit firework" was a line I liked.

Good episode. Had some great humour in it. Not as good as last week though. The Security Men was funnier than this yesterday.

I think this was really funny - better than last week. A lot of shouting, though. And Daisy's right about that movie Frozen.