Not Going Out - Series 6 Page 6

Quote: johnny smith @ April 6 2013, 5:06 PM BST

Re-watching it on iPlayer I noticed that Lee said 'Duracell batteries' when talking about using a torch as a weapon. Last night I just assumed he mentioned the brand that has the bunny mascot - but then I've now quickly remembered that was for Energizer Batteries - so I don't if this is a mistake or not....or whether the joke is meant to be that if it was Energizer batteries as opposed to Duracell then that would be adding insult to injury - so he said Duracell batteries instead.

No , Duracell has the bunny mascot not energizer!

Actually I've just realised they both do http://tinyurl.com/czutfgv

http://tinyurl.com/bqejefk

...and it was Energizer that had the famous wind-up drum-playing bunny....

http://tinyurl.com/cm6akd4

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 6 2013, 11:27 AM BST

I think this is one of the rare cases where it's legal to say "It's a nice way of spending 30 minutes". Nothing more, nothing less. Lee Mack's wooden performance and the sloppy timing prevent this from being a classic in any way, imo. A real classic needs charismatic performances by the actors (you mentioned Porridge/Barker!) and a much less sterile atmosphere. But again. There are worse ways of spending 30 minutes. It was like one of the better American sitcoms. Great fun while it lasts...but nothing to remember years after the first watch. But then, like I said, this is my first episode of NGO...so I better keep my mouth shut.

My advice is, watch episode 1 series 1 because I think you might be a little bit a head of yourself here mate. You state in older posts that you don't know much about UK comedy, but you slag off one of the more successful comedy writers that the UK has seen for a good while, that's just ignorant!

And to be honest if it was that shit I don't think he would have managed to secure a deal on a 7th series, DO YOU!

I wasn't even aware I was slagging it off. If you re-read my post carefully or the one before that you'll see I enjoyed it (I just don't think it's a classic).
And your last argument isn't exactly a work of genius. Engelbert Humperdinck must have managed to release about 40 albums if not more: Would you say he's a music God just because of that fact?

Some people...

Quote: Nigel Ball @ April 6 2013, 7:10 PM BST

My advice is, watch episode 1 series 1 because I think you might be a little bit a head of yourself here mate. You state in older posts that you don't know much about UK comedy, but you slag off one of the more successful comedy writers that the UK has seen for a good while, that's just ignorant!

And to be honest if it was that shit I don't think he would have managed to secure a deal on a 7th series, DO YOU!

Are you Lee Mack's mum?

Commercially successful is no guarantee of quality is it? Or must everyone like what you like?

Quote: Sinon @ April 6 2013, 7:21 PM BST

Commercially successful is no guarantee of quality is it?

Exactly my point.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 6 2013, 7:23 PM BST

Exactly my point.

Yeah, sorry. Your post wasn't up there when I was writing mine. I was slightly surprised at the handbag swiping... Even from Mr Ball. I'm not sure if it's more or less "ignorant" than finding some comedy less than great, though!

Quote: Sinon @ April 6 2013, 7:27 PM BST

I was slightly surprised at the handbag swiping... Even from Mr Ball. I'm not sure if it's more or less "ignorant" than finding some comedy less than great, though!

As I said: Some people... ;)

First post - first impressions of the new NGO. I think the absence of Tim Vine might prove more problematic than we think. The dynamic created by the two diametrically opposed characters of Lee and Tim was, I think, a major part of what made this show so outstandingly funny and, more importantly, lent it a very wide appeal. It's true that NGO is really just a series of jokes stringing together a flimsy plot, but that's not very important in sitcoms; it's more the contrasts between characters' lifestyles that give rise to the humour and I suspect we're already seeing Daisy trying to take up some of the slack left by Tim's departure.

:) I don't think last night's first show without Tim was that bad at all. Not amazing, just not bad either. Yes some well formed gags as usual. It will be interesting as the full 8 shows go on how it will pan out giving Sally and Katy more screen and story time. To be honest Not Going Out is a guilty pleasure for most comedy snobs, that's why the ratings are still high. Most people who admit to liking it say it peaked at Series 5.

Quote: Aaron @ April 5 2013, 10:05 PM BST

Sweet baby Jesus that was hilarious. I didn't even notice the lack of Tim. And I do hope Lee's chosen to get Lee and Lucy together at the end of this series!

It was pretty pretty good. :) Shame about Tim but din't notice either really, thought that was just this ep.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 6 2013, 7:20 PM BST

Engelbert Humperdinck must have managed to release about 40 albums if not more: Would you say he's a music God just because of that fact?

Some people...

He's good. Ever listened to him?

Quote: Sinon @ April 6 2013, 7:21 PM BST

Are you Lee Mack's mum?

Are you 12 years old?

Superb show

However the Daisy character annoys me more and more

She's stupid

We all know that

But she's stupid to a ridiculous and unrealistic degree

Now, when Dougal McGuire was ludicrously stupid it was ok because Craggy Island is a surreal insane world

Not Going Out isn't - it's a more normal realist world they inhabit

So her utter utter mongyness seems way over the top and unbelievable

Nothing against the actress though - she's great!