Forgotten Comedians Page 4

Quote: Pingl @ September 7 2012, 11:05 PM BST

Bernard Manning,I remember him demolishing Peter Cook

But who is remembered as a comic great and held in the very highest of regards? It ain't Manning.

But that's mainly why he did it, it was pure envy I thought.

Yes but I feel death has been kind to Manning's reputation, many who despise his material now seem to aknowledge his gift as a joke teller, I think his clips on YouTube have stunned a lot of modern stand-ups and wannabe stand-ups. Ironic in a way that the uncool Manning had a lot more to teach new stand-ups than supercool Cook. Watch a Manning set and not be impressed by his mastery!

I agree about Manning's reputation, but Cook was a creative Genius. It is true to say that Cook's best years were long behind him when he died, but many recall his tour de force on the Clive Anderson show shortly before his death. Manning was a honed and skilled performer; resolutely old school, the antithesis of Cook's cool sophisticated comedy. I think there is a case for saying that Manning was more subversive than Cook, who for all his satirical credentials was, I have always thought, very much of the establishment.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 8 2012, 3:22 PM BST

No one's mentioned a woman yet I don't think. Marti Caine? Went from nowhere to huge stardom overnight and then vanished as quick as she appeared. She was everywhere on TV for at least three years I remember, just before the whole TV comedy scene changed from the old to the new.

I think Marti had to pack up because of the cancer, then made a comeback but didn't have long left.

Quote: Pingl @ September 8 2012, 5:13 PM BST

Nix the Rita Rudner thing I've just checked and she is alive and well, I was thinking of Gilda Radner. DHOOO

Glad to hear that! (Not about Gilda obviously, but I already knew she had left the building).

Kelly Montieth was another American big in the UK who no longer seems to darken these shores.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 7 2012, 12:47 PM BST

I remember loving Phil Cool as a kid, he seemed to be pretty big and on TV a lot; then he was just gone.

Last time I saw him he was one half of the folk duo Nicol and Cool, with the former Albion Band guitarist Ken Nicol.

Here us some rather shakey footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o9WWlojE38

Kelly Montieth was brilliant especially his first couple of series. From what I can gather he moved back to America and still performs, he also seems to produce, distribute and star in his own films. I'd love to see those shows again.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 8 2012, 3:22 PM BST

No one's mentioned a woman yet I don't think.

Joyce Grenfell
Hylda Baker
Thora Hird

Quote: Mark Nicholas @ September 7 2012, 3:39 PM BST

As someone else mentioned Brian Conley.

I used to have a stand up show on video that made me laugh a lot.

I wonder if we forget them so easily because they are not on TV or radio anymore.
Brian Conley has a very successful stage career.

Ted Ray was a Big Star, but now he hardly ever gets mentioned.

Ryan Davies could have been a Global Star, but is largely forgotten.

Robert Ross is writing a new book on this very premise. I would argue that not all of his forgotten heroes are forgetten and that not all of them are heroes: http://unbound.co.uk/books/forgotten-heroes-of-comedy

Ha ha. Largely my instinct too. But let's allow Rob his indulgence in exchange for the rest. ;)

What about Roy 'slither ... spook!' Jay ?

Quote: Agnes Guano @ October 8 2012, 12:53 PM BST

Robert Ross is writing a new book on this very premise. I would argue that not all of his forgotten heroes are forgetten and that not all of them are heroes: http://unbound.co.uk/books/forgotten-heroes-of-comedy

It seems a little like an encyclopedia of the forgotten, some of them are best forgotten. But I'll buy it out of interest. How well a book like this will sell is another matter, it's a pretty niche interest.

Quote: Pingl @ October 8 2012, 8:31 PM BST

it's a pretty niche interest.

Yeah, us basically.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ October 8 2012, 9:59 PM BST

Yeah, us basically.

Yep :)

Quote: Pingl @ September 8 2012, 7:13 PM BST

Kelly Montieth was brilliant especially his first couple of series. From what I can gather he moved back to America and still performs, he also seems to produce, distribute and star in his own films. I'd love to see those shows again.

Just saw this thread and thought immediately about Kelly Montieth.

You can see clips from his BBC days here: http://www.kellymonteith.com/BBC_Series.html