Forgotten Comedians Page 3

Most forums I read people see to hate Jim Davidson. Saw him many years ago in theatre and he was brillaint. Yes he is racist and sexist perhaps a dinosaur of comedy but hey I like him

I think the difference between Hancock and comics like Arthur Askey etc is that Hancock made definable half hour, self contained show each telling a story.

Also. popularity at the time was relevant. Hancock emptied pubs as people went home to listen to the show, I don't recall that ever being said about the others.

But then, I'm a Hancockian !

Will Hay is forgotten by most. As is the Clitheroe Kid.
Laurel and Hardy are not on the TV anymore so there must be a generation who don't know who they are .

I have heard the same said about Frankie Howerd when he was on Variety Bandbox; as well as Steptoe and Son, whom Harold Wilson tried to have rescheduled in the 1964 General election, I often wonder if these stories are apochryphal.
As for Jim Davidson, I know where you're coming from; he has all the skills, timing, talent etc but I can't stand him and not just because he's politically incorrect. But each to their own.

Quote: Pingl @ September 7 2012, 10:24 PM BST

As for Jim Davidson, I know where you're coming from; he has all the skills, timing, talent etc but I can't stand him and not just because he's politically incorrect. But each to their own.

Where does that leave Bernard Manning?

It's easy for people to take the racist misogynist fat bastard route, but by any measure he was one of the finest stand ups this country has ever produced.

So who was Charlie Farnsbarns?
I thought Oldrocker would know, but now I may have to resuscitate Chappers for the answer

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 7 2012, 10:41 PM BST

So who was Charlie Farnsbarns?
I thought Oldrocker would know, but now I may have to resuscitate Chappers for the answer

Google tells me . .

The Charlie Farnsbarns Show was a comedy sketch series shown on ITV in the United Kingdom. The series starred Sam Costa in a variety of short sketches and he was joined by series regulars Avril Angers, Sandra Dorne and Kenneth Connor.

But I have absolutely no recollection.

I told you he was forgotten.

Bernard Manning,I remember him demolishing Peter Cook on the Joan Rivers Show, Again he had all the gifts and was an provacative comedian, did I find him funny, no. Can I see why others did, yes, was he a dinosaur, yes. A comedy Great, no.

Quote: Pingl @ September 7 2012, 11:05 PM BST

Bernard Manning,I remember him demolishing Peter Cook on the Joan Rivers Show, Again he had all the gifts and was an provacative comedian, did I find him funny, no. Can I see why others did, yes, was he a dinosaur, yes. A comedy Great, no.

Did you see him on the Mrs Merton show?

On YouTube.

No but I will. Funnily enough I often drive past the Embassey Club, where Bernard's smiling face appears in a mural above the entrance.

What about that bloke - you know - he was in thingamijig. A few years back but you must remember him.

Quote: Pingl @ September 7 2012, 11:05 PM BST

He did that more than once then, I think Parky was it, had them on together too. Very cruel scheduling for a depressed alcholic Cook who was naively trying to tiptoe his way back into the limelight. Manning seized his chance to upstage him and then insult him. He hated Cook for being celebrated when he wasn't. It's that hard uncompromising streak that made Manning both successful and very unpoplar. I think many more now admire him without liking him.

No one's mentioned a woman yet I don't think. Marti Caine? Went from nowhere to huge stardom overnight and then vanished as quick as she appeared. She was everywhere on TV for at least three years I remember, just before the whole TV comedy scene changed from the old to the new.

Rita Rudner seemed to disappear.

As far as I know Marti Caine was hosting New Faces at the time of her tragically young death. She also had a BBC 2 sitcom which if I remember rightly was called 'Hilary'.

Rita Rudner also died tragically early, but as to the circumstances I'm not sure.

Nix the Rita Rudner thing I've just checked and she is alive and well, I was thinking of Gilda Radner. DHOOO