Forgotten Comedians

I was just thinking of some of the great comedians who seem to have been forgotten. Many were hugely popular in their day, people like Jimmy Edwards, Freddie 'Parrot Face' Davis, Hugh Lloyd, Ronald Fraser, Dave King etc. Some, like Arthur Haynes, thanks to Network DVD releases are now back in favour. I wonder what it is that makes some comedians like Max Miller last, whilst others like Rob Wilton are lost to the archives. Can any one else remember any comedy greats that have unfairly been consigned to the bin of history.

Jewel and Warriss are hardly a duo to drop off the tongue any longer.

I know this is not an obscure claim to fame thread, but since his name is unlikely to ever come up again, I will take this opportunity to mention that I was born and grew up in a house the previous occupant of which was Ben Warriss.

Ah yes Jewel and Warriss, I suppose we can file them alongside Mike and Bernie Winters as double acts lost in Morecambe and Wise's headlights. Incidently I had a real soft spot for the Winters brothers, when younger I preferred them to Morecambe and Wise. There is little left of Jewel and Warriss's work, a couple of 'Up the Poles' and an obscure film I can't remeber the name of. Jewel of course went on to have a very successful solo career.

I remember loving Phil Cool as a kid, he seemed to be pretty big and on TV a lot; then he was just gone.

Norman Evans
Frank Randle
Arthur English (in wide boy mode)
Tommy Trinder
Charlie Chester
Dare I say perhaps Dave Allen even ?

I used to like Marty feldman, Harry worth and Arthur Askey
I went to see Cannon and Ball when I was a kid. Dreadful. I think my Dad took me because the Nolans were on too and he wanted to see them.

;)

Oh and I have a signed pic of Freddy Parrot Face somewhere - I think I met him on a train but can't actually remember now.

I suppose we could add Will Hay, Charlie Williams and out of the modern and still working comedians, Brian Conley, once an ITV Saturday night staple. Wave

Dick Emery

I liked Lennie Bennett years ago and he sometimes used to have a northern comedian called Albert Pontefract as a sidekick.
If a pretty girl came on he used to say to Lennie ' byyy, she were an 'ot un Mr Bennett.

Quote: Loopey @ September 7 2012, 1:23 PM BST

I went to see Cannon and Ball when I was a kid. Dreadful.

I was thinking of going . . . .

http://www.grandtheatre.info/WhatsOn_focus.asp?ShowId=620&sC=page10

:|

Maybe they've got better.

Mai oui ! . . . . how could I have missed the man with the greatest sketch of all time . . . Jimmy James !

Definition of a contradiction in terms

Wolverhampton Grand Theatre

God yes Jimmy James with Roy Castle and Eli Woods, wonderful! Laughing out loud