Live from Kirrin Island #2

Hello all,

This is the calling notice for sketch submissions for the next Live from Kirrin Island which we're looking forward to recording in front of an audience at the end of September. The show and podcast remain a BCG inspired and produced event and all BCG members are invited to contribute.

If you'd like to submit, please put a maximum of two brilliant sketches up in critique prefixed with KI: so we know we have your permission to use (and edit) your material. The deadline for KI: submissions is 24th September. Comments from others on submitted sketches are welcome and encouraged on critique (in the usual way) and we will consider the latest version of a sketch. Therefore if you have an opportunity to improve it based upon comments, you increase the likelihood of it being used. The timescales for editing the final script is inevitaby tight so please give us worked up material that's ready for use.

A reminder that the show is (semi) topical capturing recent real life big news and developments as they impact on Kirrin Island and the islanders. A full writers' brief is worth reading and if you visit the homepage, you can "look around" the island. Nevertheless, don't be constrained by existing characters, just make your sketches a funny take on recent news. The podcast is categorised as not explicit and is aired on local radio so anything too rude can not be used. There's only so many knob jokes out there surely!

All material used will be credited "on air" and on the website. And - as last time - we are anticipating Brooklands Radio broadcasting the show.

A word about Newsjack. We had intended to avoid a clash with BBC Radio 4 Extra's Newsjack but we failed! Nevertheless that means there will be opportunities for submitting material in parallel to both shows and for us to use material that is "not required" by NJ. We shall drop material in the event it gets used by NJ (or at the very least edit it further). Please edit as necessary (including the intro) to set it on Kirrin Island before posting in critique.

We'll do a separate calling note for one-liners with a slightly later deadline in due course.

Thanks everyone. If there are any questions, post them on this thread. For further background info on the genesis of #KIPOD, the thread for the first Live from Kirrin Island is here. There's also a facebook page and twitter feed which can be accessed from the KirrinIslandPodcast.com website.

Alison

Can I submit sketches that have been used in Newsrevue in the past few weeks?

As long as it's updated enough to be relevant to Kirrin Island, that is not a problem. We don't want a load of sketches of David Cameron and Nick Clegg singing a song. An relevant, funny intro wouldn't go amiss either.

Dan

This is going to be good, people! Worth sparing us at least a NJ reject or two! ;)

But it helps if you understand the setting (Kirrin Island, or related to) and have heard the previous episodes - available on the website and on iTunes.

And as Dan says, tweak it for KI. Basically do as Dan says and you'll be fine. :D

Hi, are you guys looking for one liners at the moment?

Quote: Sean Bennett @ September 21 2012, 7:30 AM BST

Hi, are you guys looking for one liners at the moment?

Hi Sean. We're still focussed on sketches at the moment - but I'll open the window tomorrow with a KI one-liner thread on critique. Look out for that. It'll run until late next week.
Alison

Did you move the deadline for sketches? I'd entered it as Saturday 22nd on my diary...

Alison - for the one liners, can we post things that have been in/ are going in the Newsjack rejects thread, or should we choose one outlet or the other?

Quote: Judgement Dave @ September 25 2012, 1:44 PM BST

Did you move the deadline for sketches? I'd entered it as Saturday 22nd on my diary...

That's very efficient of you! Yes I did to capture this week's round of unused NJ sketches....

Quote: Bomsh @ September 25 2012, 4:56 PM BST

Alison - for the one liners, can we post things that have been in/ are going in the Newsjack rejects thread, or should we choose one outlet or the other?

Yes for sure you can repost something in the KI thread that's also in the NJ rejects. Perhaps take the opportunity to Kirrinise it if you can. We're still keen to use more of the Kwitter feeds examples with #hashtags - but that's not compulsory.

Quote: Judgement Dave

Quote: LippyAlison @ September 26 2012, 7:28 AM BST

That's very efficient of you!

Not so much efficiency as necessity!

Between stand up gigs, getting an improv/sketch group going and various writing and film-making comps there's been deadlines or appointments every day for the past couple of months. If it's not in the diary I'd only start missing things.

As it is I know what's coming up and panic at the last moment - a sort of chaotic version of Just In Time management.

Speaking of which... I must go and write my skit comp entry...

Has the deadline for sketches now passed?

Yep. It was Monday.

Dan

Great fun at the recording tonight - looking forward to the podcast, but the live show is such a great thing to be involved with. Thanks Alison

Quote: Big Jack @ September 30 2012, 1:50 AM BST

Great fun at the recording tonight - looking forward to the podcast, but the live show is such a great thing to be involved with. Thanks Alison

Well done everyone! It was lots of fun.

I think we started with less in the way of script than last time but ended up with more - so a very good writing day.

Well done, script eds Dan and Stu for pulling the scripts together and speed writing the famous five part.

Neil and Jamie (as well their own writing contributions) did a great job marshalling the one liners.

The cast were great - particularly the "new guys" Alex and Rachel. And of course Steve, who was stuck for so long on the M25 he had to pick up the script with almost no rehearsal, not that you would know!

And Big Jack himself did a great job hosting the show.

But most of all well done Alison - for making it all happen!

Looking forward to hearing the show.

Such an enjoyable weekend. Well done everyone, can't wait to hear it.

I assume everyone's realised the error of their ways in cutting the benefits sketch and we'll all be reconvening today to record it?

Tits!
Neil