A Bargain.

There is a shop near me that sells every item for a pound. It is called 'The Pound Shop' for that very reason. It is a place where many excellent bargains can be found. But not always. Oh no.

At the weekend, I was looking for Sellotape and the pound shop had a pack of two rolls (120 metres in all) for £1. Not bad when you compare it with the post office where one small roll is about £2.

But I was not convinced to buy the £1 pack and I went off to Tesco where they had a pack of two rolls (120 metres in all), slightly wider than the pound shop's stuff and for only for only 72p (reduced from the normal price of 88p).

So hooray for Tesco if you're like me and use a lot of Sellotape.

This is a clever psychological trick. The fact that everything costs just 1£ (or dollar or euro; this works in every country) seems to imply that's it's cheaper than elsewhere which is actually right for certain products but the majority can be found cheaper in "normal" stores. This is a case for Inspector Watch Dog! ;)

Quote: Jasmine @ September 3 2012, 11:16 AM BST

So hooray for Tesco if you're like me and use a lot of Sellotape.

What do you need all the sellotape for, Jasmine?

Quote: chipolata @ September 3 2012, 1:27 PM BST

What do you need all the sellotape for, Jasmine?

Did you ever watch the "Bottom" episode with the burglar??? :D

It's a great observation Jasmine and thanks for highlighting the crafty activities of these pound-emporiums to the community.

It's a practice that I've been familiar with for some time.

I'm currently searching the market for sticky back plastic tape - so your information is very much appreciated. The 28% saving at Tesco (I'm ignoring the 'slightly wider tape' aspect of your findings on account of it not being necesarily always a bonus aspect - although at times - maybe so) is well worth taking advantage of.

Poundland are actually charging 38.9% MORE for their sticky backed platic tape than Tesco are - yet we are so quick to lambast Tesco for many of society's ills.

Someone please write to Anne Robinson.

Even though my flat is directly above a branch of Poundland (I'm actually a branch manager for them - even with 2% staff discount it's a no-brainer), I'm now off on a 17 mile round trip to Tesco in my Hummer to take advantage of this deal.

PS I see, like me, you are quite new hear to Jasmine. Can we be friends? (you have lovely eyes)

PPS To the community. why don't we all 'buddy up' officially. Perhaps a 'let's buddy up' thread where the ins and out of my proposal can be debated and any necessary rules/guidelines/procedures drawn up?

I do like the Pound Shop, though. Not so keen on the 99p Store, though. They seem to have overzealous security guards that follow you around, watching. If I'm going to shoplift, it isn't going to be something that costs 99p.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 3 2012, 1:31 PM BST

Did you ever watch the "Bottom" episode with the burglar??? :D

No. :P

[quote name="chipolata" post="909200" date="September 3 2012, 3:26 PM BST"]I do like the Pound Shop, though. Not so keen on the 99p Store, though. They seem to have overzealous security guards that follow you around, watching. If I'm going to shoplift, it isn't going to be something that costs 99p.

Yeah aren't those guys a joke?

In their beige shirts and chocolate brown caps/epaulettes/ties/Nylon trousers - with obligatory white tennis socks. You can see they get off on it. They're probably doing more nicking than any staff or customers.

Old thread reviver here.....................again. :D

Now this is unlikely to impress most whippersnappers on here, but I do like a good nostalgia wallow from my childhood when the only entertainment over the air was the radio...................

Just bought off Ebay NINE CDs of 1930s, 1940s and 1950s hits of those decades for ONLY £4 inc.post. ALL are MINT and in fact, one of them is still in its wrapper.

Listening to Winifred Atwell at the moment, and yes a lot of you will know her piano playing with the "Black and White Rag" from the old TV series Pot Black, with her wink and BIG smile.

Ahhhhh, I'm in heaven - take 3½ minutes of your life to watch this, and if your feet/hands are not tapping then you are dead.
LOVE THIS LADY!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJagAMtp6AE

"Churchill wasn't black"...

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th May 2019, 12:32 PM

Old thread reviver here.....................again. :D

Now this is unlikely to impress most whippersnappers on here, but I do like a good nostalgia wallow from my childhood when the only entertainment over the air was the radio...................

Just bought off Ebay NINE CDs of 1930s, 1940s and 1950s hits of those decades for ONLY £4 inc.post. ALL are MINT and in fact, one of them is still in its wrapper.

Listening to Winifred Atwell at the moment, and yes a lot of you will know her piano playing with the "Black and White Rag" from the old TV series Pot Black, with her wink and BIG smile.

Ahhhhh, I'm in heaven - take 3½ minutes of your life to watch this, and if your feet/hands are not tapping then you are dead.
LOVE THIS LADY!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJagAMtp6AE

And you f**king criticise me!

Quote: Chappers @ 29th May 2019, 11:38 PM

And you f**king criticise me!

What, for reviving old threads or listening to old music? :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th May 2019, 12:09 AM

What, for reviving old threads or listening to old music? :D

Yes!

Quote: Chappers @ 30th May 2019, 10:02 PM

Yes!

Upset Dave time, and this time only a 2 year thread (second) revival. :D Hi Dave Wave

Picked up on eBay for my wife so she can identify the birds on our bird feeder gizmo - The AA Book of British Birds, a huge 384 page 30x24 cms. tome in near mint condition with excellent dust covers for only £3.99 post paid**. Price inside cover is £24.99.

** And, it came via Royal Mail, which if I had to post it to someone, it would have to go as a small parcel at a cost of £3.20 - the World of Books (with over 7¼ millions feedback!!) must get one hell of a discount from RM.

Forget Aldi, Morrison's is the place to go for bargains

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th November 2022, 9:18 AM

Forget Aldi, Morrison's is the place to go for bargains

Well, of course they were able to fund that reduction - and still make a profit - by short-changing me...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 3rd November 2022, 11:26 AM

The self-service check-out at Morrisons failed to eject my 2p change.