Newsjack - Series 7 Page 2

Nope, but re-writing an old sketch for that 'New Scenes' show got me back into the swing of it slightly, realised I hadn't done any radio script since last Newsjack!

Gonna be writing for Newsjack as of Wednesday.

Quote: groovydude89 @ September 10 2012, 5:38 PM BST

Has anyone started writing material for episode one yet?

I was planning to, I thought I'd watch a bit of the tennis first. What a rick that was.

No harm in writing sketches now - it's good practice, and you can send them to Kirrin Island, Newsrevue or the Treason Show which are all seeking stuff now. But nothing you write before next Thursday will be used on Newsjack. It's topical, folks.

I think he means this coming Thursday. At least, I hope he does...

Dan

Does it start next week? Oops.

Straight from the horse's... erm... website:

"The deadlines for episode one are as follows:
For sketches, it is 12pm on Monday 17 September.
For one-liners it is 4pm on Tuesday 18 September."

Dan

I knew those dates, I just didn't realise we were that far into September.

I'm a little bit puzzled by the One Liners. Is this the same definition of one liners say in the context of a Jimmy Carr or Tim Vine joke?

Quote: Russell Greeno @ September 11 2012, 1:05 PM BST

I'm a little bit puzzled by the One Liners. Is this the same definition of one liners say in the context of a Jimmy Carr or Tim Vine joke?

Ah no, definitely not! The main one-liners are:

JackApps - Short one-liner as if the phone-in opinion of a member of the public (or occasionally a famous person)

Corrections - Short apology for a fictional mistake in the show / last week's show

Best thing to do is probably look at the rejects column for last series in Critique as an example of what works well. Although there is a LOT in there.

Sure somebody did a round-up of the best ones somewhere...

Thanks Stephen, I'll have a looksie!

Actually it took me a while to find it and we need a new one soon so I've started up a new series 7 reject thread in Critique. I've added a few random examples choosen by swerytd at the start so you can see the style:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/25483#P912118

Anyone planning on going to a recording? I might go to one or two of the last 3 myself.

Dates and ticket links here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/shows/newsjack_autumn_2012

I'll probably be at the 3rd October one. The one not at the Radio Theatre.

Dan

I've applied for tickets for most weeks (only live 2 stops away) so if you're going give us a shout. Always better not to drink alone at the bar.

----------

And some good advice on the Newsjack twitter feed today - bit like a Q&A session really.

Have a look but key bits I pulled out are:

One-liners - no more than one page of these
Justin's Intro - offically declared as a one-liner and make it short, about 10 seconds max.

Hello once again everyone.

I love embarking on these 6 weeks full of ideas, anticipation and disappointment (or not!) - good luck to all