Bad Sugar - Pilot

Is anyone watching this? If so, what's your opinion of it? Reviewers aren't raving about it, but is that because this type of comedy is an acquired taste?

I saw plenty of good reviews for it. I enjoyed it a lot, though it certainly took a good ten minutes to get going, but when it did, very funny. Looking forward to more now it's settled in.

It's only a pilot so far, with a series to follow next year.

Yeah...looking forward to more too. I saw a few reviews that said it went on a bit, but complimented the comedy talent of the three main actresses. I didn't find it a chore to watch...I'm a fan already. It's my kind of thing...so, yeah, looking forward to it.

Kevin O'Sullivan will be reviewing Bad Sugar on The Wright Stuff at around 11am. It will be interesting to see what he says.

I liked this, very funny I thought.

Thoroughly peculiar. I'm not sure what to make of that at all. Fantastic performances all-round though.

Excellent performances, a variable script with some complete and utter gems but not enough of them. Whether the style would sustain over a series is another matter.

Was this longer than half an hour? I think for the series it would be better to restrict it to thirty minutes.

Yeah...I think it was an hour. Kevin O'Sullivan reviewed it on the Wright Stuff and said he felt disappointed as he was expecting a lot more given the three women fronting it, but he didn't totally slate it. He just said he might not give it much more time...I bet he will, though.

I felt the pilot gave everyone a good taste of what's to come and I'm already eager to see more. I get the humour and love all those women!

Quote: italophile @ September 3 2012, 7:11 AM BST

Excellent performances, a variable script with some complete and utter gems but not enough of them. Whether the style would sustain over a series is another matter.

Think I may have to agree with this summary.

The pilot was 50 minutes. 36 without adverts. If they're going to keep it that length they're going to have to really tighten up the writing or people will be switching off as if watching it could give you AIDS.

Quote: Aaron @ September 3 2012, 10:22 AM BST

Think I may have to agree with this summary.

The pilot was 50 minutes. 36 without adverts. If they're going to keep it that length they're going to have to really tighten up the writing or people will be switching off as if watching it could give you AIDS.

I usually like to watch things like this again on DVD at a later date, when they're broadcast on a channel with adverts. I like to stay with it for the duration, not be distracted by people trying to force me to send my phones and jewellery to complete strangers and adopt talking dogs.

I bought all of Nighty Night and Human Remains and other similar DVDs. I can easily sit through one after the other...non-stop. My brain likes it.

The telenovelas being lampooned have cursory but ludicrous plotting. I think future episodes of Bad Sugar will need to work harder on story to keep viewers interested, while pretending to barely tell a story at all.

Missed this when it was on but watched it on 4od. I absolutely adored it: the hammy acting, the so bad it's good dramatic dialogue, the uneasy darkness. I am so excited for the series to get going.

When I saw who was starring in it I was worried that it would be too much, that it couldn't live up to expectations. But I am absolutely gagging to get to know these characters more!

Well, it sounds as though this is not going ahead after all. A shame. I was looking forward to seeing more.

From the Olivia Colman interview here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/class-act-is-olivia-colman-britains-most-versatile-actress-8513853.html

Rev returns at the end of the year, although Bad Sugar, the telenovela pastiche co-starring Julia Davis and Sharon Horgan, surprisingly won't be progressing beyond the pilot stage that was shown on Channel 4 last year. "It's been decommissioned," she says. "I think there might be some new blood and it's not their baby... I don't know... politics."

Disappointed, I really did enjoy it! Cracking cast too.