Animal cruelty for comic effect Page 4

I bet you didn't feel sorry for Jaws, but then a bear is furry. :P

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 31 2012, 7:45 PM BST

I'm talking about comedy scenes. Of course I can't sit there with a stoney face if an animal gets hurt or killed in a "serious" movie. I cried many tears about dramatic scenes in which an animal died (especially when I was a kid)...even with "Turner & Hooch"

Good good, as long as you have a heart! ;)

I do feel sorry for Jaws when they blow him up, actually. It's not his fault all these meaty morons are faffing about in the sea.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 31 2012, 7:44 PM BST

But the bear in question is supposed to be 'a killer' iirc. Do you feel bad for the killer in a horror film if they get their comeuppance?

No because people know it's wrong to kill, animals don't!

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 31 2012, 7:46 PM BST

I bet you didn't feel sorry for Jaws, but then a bear is furry. :P

That fish was really out of order, wasn't he? :D

Well, that's ok then, as long as you're consistent.

Quote: zooo @ August 31 2012, 7:48 PM BST

I do feel sorry for Jaws when they blow him up, actually. It's not his fault all these meaty morons are faffing about in the sea.

Then what do you think about King Kong?

King Kong is too sad to watch. :(

Quote: zooo @ August 31 2012, 7:51 PM BST

King Kong is too sad to watch. :(

I had to cry when I was a child. As you say, first they bring him to New York to exploit him then they shoot him cause he's dangerous. Wasn't his fault. Didn't like the Peter Jackson film though, the older ones were better.

Totally agree. Older ones much better.

In "The Simpsons" they don't treat animals all that well. I remember me laughing when Homer crams a horse/pony into his car.

What about when he puts Pinchy in a hot bath and accidentally cooks him and then eats him. "It's what Pinchy would have waanted!!" Haha! Love it :D

Quote: Lee @ September 1 2012, 5:57 PM BST

What about when he puts Pinchy in a hot bath and accidentally cooks him and then eats him. "It's what Pinchy would have waanted!!" Haha! Love it :D

Yes, that was really macabre. That reminds me of that "Malcolm In The Middle" episode I mentioned earlier. Francis not only set the cow on fire but afterwards he serves it to his boss who doesn't realises that he's just eating his favourite cow which he treated as a pet.

The Goodies had probably at least half a dozen episodes that involved cruelty to animals for good comic effect. Most memorably Bill Oddie snapping the leg off a brown dog, which prompts Graeme Garden to nail on a crude wooden leg, while demanding his animals be "treated with kindness and respect" - and then telling the dog to "Die for the Queen" as he belts it off a table with a mallet. Stoking a fire of a burning live cat and machine-gunning a stick insect were also memorable from the same episode. And Bill driving a tractor over a horse.

Monty Python had the old crone beating a mewling black cat against a wall in Holy Grail.

Quote: zooo @ August 31 2012, 2:23 PM BST

They are ALWAYS killing cows in TV and films. It has become a thing. Any twister film, it takes a cow. Any monster or alien film, it eats a cow. Any film with frat boy types in, they blow up a cow.

Hollywood hates cows.

Mars Attacks, Twister, Lake Placid, Three Kings, Me, Myself and Irene are just a few films where cows get offed in various ways.

Another "cow-cruelty scene"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJbqnbXI0Po

Nathan Barley's tragicomedy with the cat was amazing! The naming of the cat as 'Elizabeth' was also a masterstroke