Best Keeping Up Appearances episode

What is the best Keeping Up Appearances episode? I think Sea Fever because it's funny, it makes you laugh so much.

Quote: kall @ August 29 2012, 1:49 PM BST

What is the best Keeping Up Appearances episode? I think Sea Fever because it's funny, it makes you laugh so much.

From what I've seen I have the impression that the "KUA" episodes are a bit samey, it's hard to distinguish them from each other (but that's not a complaint per se). It's an either-you-hate-it-or-love/like-it show. You like its spirit or atmosphere not the actual plot or the jokes (which are more or less the same in every episode almost like mantras). I had the same feeling with "Are You Being Served?". If you miss an episode it's no catastrophe the next one will deliver the goods anyway (or not; depends on your tastes).

Yeah I think the same, certainly can't think of a stand out episode off the top of my head, the same way I can't with EDC, Open All Hours or The Good Life, all good sitcoms but as you say, all pretty similar storylines throughout made them feel a bit samey overall. Or maybe they just didn't have the killer episode that 'great' sitcoms have?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 30 2012, 10:16 AM BST

Or maybe they just didn't have the killer episode that 'great' sitcoms have?

Yes, that's a good question. Are they just "not very good" (whatever that means)shows? I'd like to think of them being written deliberately that way: Look at pop music, there are bands with an eclectic sound or songwriting that is sprinkled with twists and turns (Beatles, Elvis Costello, David Bowie...at least during their glory days) and there are bands that have a constant and reliable sound without any surprises (AC/DC, Black Sabbath etc). You wouldn't call the latter ones bad (unless you really hate them), it's just another way of making your art, your "thing". I'd like to return from time to time to that reliable stuff...also in comedy. Sitcoms that aren't cutting edge or surprising but just put a smile on your face.