Why members have been banned thread Page 5

Quote: zooo @ August 31 2012, 12:07 PM BST

Basically, you can't ban people until you have a concrete reason to do so. (Well you could, but that's not the way this site is run). We don't want to risk banning perfectly innocent, if odd, people, as collateral in trying to get rid of people we suspect 'might' be trolls.

It's not always as simple as 'checking their IP'.

I completely agree with that policy. Can you satisfy my curiosity though, why isn't it as simple as checking IP? Obviously a troller can use a different computers but that's going to get old for them fast in terms of effort. The only other way I can think of to confuse the IP issue is to use a proxy, but I know that's a bannable offence in itself.

I'm a bit thick about computers, you'd have to ask someone cleverer than me about the specifics. But some trolls are sneaky little buggers (with a lot of time on their hands).

Quote: David Bussell @ August 31 2012, 12:12 PM BST

Obviously a troller can use a different computers but that's going to get old for them fast in terms of effort.

Laughing out loud You have NO idea.

You don't have to use a different computer, most ISP don't give you a static Ip number so every time you reset your router you get a new IP number, Then there are IP shields. Blah blah technical stuff.

Some people seriously live for trolling. Some use shell accounts, which allow them to 'bounce' off other people's servers. There are lot of very computer savvy trolls out there. Some are just blatantly doing it for no other reason, than a need to get attention. Sad really. To be honest...they do sometimes start a good bit of banter and some good discussions about certain subjects, but that's soon ruined when they decide to predictably trash the thread they originally started. I think a good job is done all round here where mods are concerned. It's harder than you think to control a forum.

Gavin how do I avoid splashing my trousers at a urinal?

Quote: Gavin @ August 31 2012, 12:24 PM BST

Then there are IP shields. Blah blah technical stuff.

Where would I purchase such a device?

Quote: Lee @ August 31 2012, 12:18 PM BST

Laughing out loud You have NO idea.

I'm not sure that's true. Having used this forum for many years I'm well aware of the efforts the offending person is prepared to go to (accounts so numerous they'd require a spreadsheet to keep track of, some of which are set up years in advance to avoid suspicion when they're activated fully at a later date) but even so there's still effort required switching between machines, particularly when that person is using two accounts to have a conversation with himself. So long as there are multiple IPs and he's not using a proxy I can only imagine he's currently studying/working somewhere with banks of machines. Like Zooo I'm no expert at how this all works exactly, but I'm at a loss to think how else he could do what he does and not get caught breaking the site rules.

I realise I've probably spent more time than I should thinking about the technical aspects of this but it beats thinking about the sort of life a person prepared to spend their Christmas day trolling a comedy website must have had. That way lies true madness.

Quote: Gavin @ August 31 2012, 12:24 PM BST

You don't have to use a different computer, most ISP don't give you a static Ip number so every time you reset your router you get a new IP number, Then there are IP shields. Blah blah technical stuff.

Right, so maybe it is just an admin issue then - that the mods aren't able to police the system when someone is that determined. Or at least they have better things to do with their time.

Quote: David Bussell @ August 31 2012, 12:33 PM BST

Right, so maybe it is just an admin issue then - that the mods aren't able to police the system when someone is that determined. Or at least they have better things to do with their time.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 31 2012, 12:01 PM BST

I think there should be a "Make an unfounded claim as to why a member was banned" thread. Where's Sunshine when you need him?

Laughing out loud

Quote: zooo @ August 31 2012, 12:04 PM BST

That's basically what this thread is already!

Laughing out loud

Quote: Ben @ August 31 2012, 12:09 PM BST

Why is Will so intrigued? Is he planning to commit the most bannable offence possible?

Will is just a f**king nosey bastard.

I predict that, a perfectly pleasant, someone who has turned up today will be banned within' 100 posts. #justsayin

Your membership has been terminated.... PERMANENTLY!

In other news the bloke who voiced The Count in Sesame Street recently croaked it. R.I.P.

:(

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 31 2012, 3:52 PM BST

I predict that, a perfectly pleasant, someone who has turned up today will be banned within' 100 posts. #justsayin

I'd like to see a long term member banned. It'd be more fun seeing zooo or Billwill lose it and have to be terminated.

Quote: chipolata @ August 31 2012, 4:32 PM BST

I'd like to see a long term member banned. It'd be more fun seeing zooo or Billwill lose it and have to be terminated.

Any predictions for a contender? I can see Ben going down in a blaze of glory.

Quote: David Bussell @ August 31 2012, 4:42 PM BST

Any predictions for a contender? I can see Ben going down in a blaze of glory.

Ben's too oblique. I''ll go for Stott. The endless Doctor Who abuse will finally snap him.

Quote: chipolata @ August 31 2012, 4:44 PM BST

Ben's too oblique. I''ll go for Stott. The endless Doctor Who abuse will finally snap him.

That can't be true - I never visit that thread but Stott assures me he's universally loved there. Are you saying this isn't the case?