Citizen Khan - Series 1 Page 15

This discussion is now getting rather ugly, and very far away from Citizen Khan. I'm closing this thread so that everyone can cool down.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 3 2012, 10:45 PM BST

'Nick' left My Family to do stuff like this...?

Not unless he could see 7 years ahead.

So far I like it.

I find it amusing, the stereotyping is a big finger up to all the idiots who say you can't laugh at certain things.

It's no different to people falling down the stairs, we shouldn't laugh, but we do.

What next? No funeral scenes in sitcoms in fear of upsetting people who have just attended one?

I hope and pray that it gets a series 2.

But if it was white people creating these stereotypes we wouldn't get away with it. And he's taking the piss out of gingers. Are we offended? Only gingers may be.

I rather like this quote from a website called Pakistan News Watch: "Shows like Citizen Khan are essential in multicultural societies and help put all communities on an equal footing - if everyone can have a laugh at everyone else's expense, then no one can claim superiority."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19511191

Quote: Aaron @ September 7 2012, 7:02 PM BST

I rather like this quote from a website called Pakistan News Watch: "Shows like Citizen Khan are essential in multicultural societies and help put all communities on an equal footing - if everyone can have a laugh at everyone else's expense, then no one can claim superiority."

Well that should be highlighted and shown to all those holier than thou "do-gooders".

Quote: Aaron @ September 7 2012, 7:02 PM BST

Some other quotes from the same article:

"in every shot of the series, it has been ensured by the BBC that Pakistani flags are hanging in the background to ensure that the viewers get a definite idea that the characters and the stories are about Pakistan and not be confused generally as Asians."

"an assemblage of stereotypes"

"racist"

"offensive to Islam"

"If we see the names of the actors it's pretty obvious, of who they are and what is the agenda that they are following"

"masterminded" by Hindus

"Do you think that such egregious going ons in our communities should be depicted on comedic gags for laughs? ...Shaming the sanctity of the Koran so people can 'har har' is intolerable in my opinion."

"too bland and hopelessly dated to have any kind of cultural impact."

"This would be very funny in any Muslim-majority country, but in a country where people [are] still uninformed about Muslims and end up discriminating and hating them, this kind of show is actually very harmful."

Quote: Chappers @ September 7 2012, 2:52 PM BST

But if it was white people creating these stereotypes we wouldn't get away with it. And he's taking the piss out of gingers. Are we offended? Only gingers may be.

It's a bit like how Adam Hills can make jokes about disabled people but Frankie Boyle gets in trouble. The difference is when the joke is coming from another member of the same group the joke is about, good faith is assumed. In a perfect society, anyone could make jokes about anyone and noone would assume bad faith. The problem is that people who feel discriminated against and treated like second class citizens interpret any jokes about them as an attack.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ September 8 2012, 5:26 PM BST

The problem is that people who feel discriminated against and treated like second class citizens interpret any jokes about them as an attack.

Not necessarily only the "discriminated minority". There's always some self proclaimed "saviours of the weak" that shout "racism", "discrimination", "blasphemy" or something like that. And those are at least the ones with good intentions. But there are also politicians that pretend to protect the minorities but in reality give a shit about them. They only want to promote their own career with this "good deed".

Didn't like it at all, but it's definitely not racist.

Well, I feel almost (but not quite) ashamed to say, I liked this. It's not the best thing ever but at least it's a bit different from most of the stuff on at the moment.

Contrary to what some people are saying about the characters being one dimensional, I found it was a very warm show. The scenes inside their family home felt authentic and realistic, just like any family, whatever their race: a mixture of resentment, mild annoyance and love.

I thought episode 2 was an improvement over episode 1. Liked it a lot. It's old-fashioned sitcom yes, and seemed quite contrived, but it was still very funny.

Main issue for me (unlike millions of others, it seems) is that Mr Khan is getting all the gags, with everyone else merely giving him feedlines. Only exception is Amjad, his son-in-law-to-be, who is gloriously silly in all his innocence.

Quote: Aaron @ September 3 2012, 11:56 AM BST

The religion has such an intrinsic influence over the culture, that it's impossible to extracate the two.

*extricate. Aaron Brown! I hope this is mentioned in the usual 'grammar nazi' intro to What Are You Laughing At?

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ September 10 2012, 4:33 PM BST

*extricate. Aaron Brown! I hope this is mentioned in the usual 'grammar nazi' intro to What Are You Laughing At?

I shall scold myself forthwith.