Looks a very promising and official sitcomp... Page 8

Yep. Unfortunately I fell at the last hurdle. I've known since last week but I was gagged and held captive in a basement until they'd officially announced it.

Anyway, it's a shame that I didn't win, but getting that close just makes me even more determined. At least the other Hull guy won I suppose! :)

Commiserations Martin. Good work on getting past the beginning though! (and Mr Stott too!)

As for Mr Hobden's script extract, I liked it. Good start. The end of it reminded me of Spaced when Bilbo was telling Tim about the story of the man and his wealth-smelling dog. And that's a good thing.

Quote: Martin H @ November 28 2012, 8:37 PM GMT

Yep. Unfortunately I fell at the last hurdle.

The worst hurdle to fall at.

At least you were told you didn't make it. Much better than the 'silent treatment' writers often get nowadays.

Anyway, you'll get there next time.

Better luck next time, Martin.

Well done Mr Hobden.
The extract was interesting, definitely potential.

Is that Martin holmes who used to have a yellow smiley as his avatar? Congratulations Martin. I remember criting something by him about five years ago.

The wining extract is very weak.

I'm guessing that reaching the final hurdle gives you a lot more chance of getting your script seriously considered by production companies. The competitions aren't all about winning.

Pity they didn't post the whole ten pages from the winner; the script sample doesn't show much except that the writer can write naturalistic, awkward dialogue, along with probably at least a couple of hundred other scripts. I'm assuming over the other seven pages there's a bit more hint of interesting plot development and I'd quite like to see what it is that caught the eye.
(Unemployment is the topical subject of the decade, of course.)

Quote: enigmatic @ November 30 2012, 3:34 AM GMT

I'm guessing that reaching the final hurdle gives you a lot more chance of getting your script seriously considered by production companies. The competitions aren't all about winning.

Pity they didn't post the whole ten pages from the winner; the script sample doesn't show much except that the writer can write naturalistic, awkward dialogue, along with probably at least a couple of hundred other scripts. I'm assuming over the other seven pages there's a bit more hint of interesting plot development and I'd quite like to see what it is that caught the eye.
(Unemployment is the topical subject of the decade, of course.)

I agree. There was nothing in the extract that particularly caught me, but it didn't stop me from wanting to read more.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 30 2012, 12:43 AM GMT

Is that Martin holmes who used to have a yellow smiley as his avatar? Congratulations Martin. I remember criting something by him about five years ago.

The wining extract is very weak.

It certainly is that same Martin Holmes. And I do remember you critiquing a script of mine, although I have no idea what it was now.