Looks a very promising and official sitcomp... Page 6

Quote: Martin H @ October 26 2012, 1:58 PM BST

Well I'll be damned! I didn't even realise I'd made the Top 40 until one the writers on my website told me!

Do they not email you separately then to say you made the Top 40?

You obviously weren't that bothered then?!

Maybe you could let your place go to someone more needy? Whistling nnocently

Congrats, Martin.

Good luck for next week.

Ha. I'm very bothered, I just assumed they'd email and when I hadn't heard anything I guessed I hadn't made it. Didn't think to check the website!

It is the best script I've ever written though, so it feels good for it to be recognised. :)

Congratulations Martin too! Best of luck!

Dan

Thanks Dan.

Trying not to get my hopes up too much. But I'm pleased to just have made the Top 40, although of course I'd love to make the Top 4. :)

Well done Stott! Well done Martin H too - I tipped you for the top years ago!

Ach, shit in my mouth.

Well done to Martin:

http://www.shortlist.com/home/final-five-sitcom-writers-revealed

Yes - big well done again, Martin. Awesome achievement :-) I liked the way they added a fifth spot too - was nice surprise. Alas, I still didn't make it but good luck to you.

All the best

Alan

Brilliant, well done Martin and commiserations Matthew.

Now, this can only come across as sour grapes, but it's really not meant to; but I think the way this comp has been run is a bit odd. I can understand them only wanting the first ten pages to start with, they'll get hundreds of entries, they can tell from the ten pages if they're interested, but why would you not then ask for the full scripts from the shortlisted writers? I kept waiting for an email requesting the full script, instead there was no direct communication at all.

But anyway, yes that seems like me being a moaning dick, just seems a bit odd. Hope you do well, Martin!

And thanks for the commiserations.

I think the reason they didn't ask might be because there's no guarantee everyone of those top writers has a full finished script. By not asking, you're not discriminating against anyone that quickly got something together for the competition.

Either that, or what you said.

Best of luck, Martin.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 31 2012, 5:59 PM GMT

Now, this can only come across as sour grapes, but it's really not meant to; but I think the way this comp has been run is a bit odd. I can understand them only wanting the first ten pages to start with, they'll get hundreds of entries, they can tell from the ten pages if they're interested, but why would you not then ask for the full scripts from the shortlisted writers? I kept waiting for an email requesting the full script, instead there was no direct communication at all.

Bad luck, Stott. Have to say I agree with your point though - when you've already read two and a half thousand scripts, doesn't it make sense to read the forty you've shortlisted in full? Not to knock anyone who made the final five (well done, Martin H!) but isn't there the distinct possibility of having shortlisted a handful of really good sitcom beginnings? The first ten pages is no promise that the ones to follow it will be as good. Isn't the real mark of the writer that they can bring their script to a satisfying conclusion?

Quote: David Bussell @ October 31 2012, 7:55 PM GMT

Bad luck, Stott. Have to say I to agree with your point though - when you've already read two and a half thousand scripts, doesn't it make sense to read the forty you've shortlisted in full? Not to knock anyone who made the final five (well done, Martin H!) but isn't there the distinct possibility of having shortlisted a handful of really good sitcom beginnings? The first ten pages is no promise that the ones to follow it will be as good. Isn't the real mark of the writer that they can bring their script to a satisfying conclusion?

The first ten pages should be enough to let the reader know what the story is, who the characters are, and whether it's funny. This competition (not involving me), like those that I've been responsible for, gets the writers together for workshops and mentoring, so that the finished script benefits from a development process. The judges, I'd say, were looking for work which demonstrates that the writers know what they're doing and can benefit from more experienced eyes to help them deliver the promise of their extract.

As a judge/selector/short-lister, if something grabs you and seems promising, it provides a foundation for further work. That work can just be tinkering with a full script, or a radical rethink. But always at the front of the mind is whether this is a show that can be produced.

Personally, I've always included scripts which would never be produced but are by writers who have an interesting and original voice, though this competition may be more focused on the idea than the writer. So anyone who didn't make the final five may have been really good but a hard sell.

Thanks for the thanks guys! :)

I've known since Tuesday but was told to keep it quiet until the official announcement. I'm super excited to have made the Top 5, it's a definite confident boost even if I don't win the overall competition.

Like Matt, I was also expecting them to ask for the full script once it got to the Top 40, but different competitions are run in different ways. Luckily I have the full episode written, in fact, I have two episodes written, which is rare because I only ever usually write a pilot and then move on to a new project, but I had interest elsewhere previously so wrote a second episode. :)

Congratulations Martin/Commiserations Matt & Alan.

I have to say I was in the 'first ten pages' written but rest of episode needed a lot of work very quickly if I got anywhere.

I have since re-read it and am wondering quite how I, quite remarkably, made those first ten pages as unfunny as I managed, and then quite enjoyed the subsequent pages that I hadn't touched for this opportunity. I am an unfunnying *machine*, I tell you!

Dan

Fantastic news, Martin!

Enjoy the workshop and mentoring and good luck!

Matt & Alan, don't look at it as you didn't win, more you just lost. :P

Anyway, if I had got through to the last (first?) five I would have felt a bit weird turning up with only page 11.