Looks a very promising and official sitcomp... Page 3

Quote: elmonstro @ September 24 2012, 11:55 PM BST

Do you think if one only sent in a script but no synopsis with said script the idea would be instantly killed - even if, as in this case, it was hilarious?? :$

The rules seem quite specific.

Anyway, if it's hilarious it ain't got no chance!

According to the just re-read Ts&Cs "Any scripts arriving after this date, or not featuring the proper criteria, will not be accepted." Well, there's another fine mess I've not got myself into. BALLS!

I submit my entry with fifteen minutes to spare - I am somehow medically incapable of writing until a deadline is looming like a giant looming thing.

Well done to Shortlist as it's great to have a competition like this - they're sadly few and far between - but I wish they could have acknowledging reciept of entries... I've no reason to believe that my entry won't have reached them, but you never know...

Huh?

Majorly mis-judged how quickly I could do all of this in. Submitted at 11:56pm...looked at the criteria and noticed my script didn't have a header/footer with the title on each page, nor did I include my DOB or address. I re-sent the same entry with my contact details at 11:59...but didn't have time to send the header/footer version.

Really gotta think ahead next time.

Also, didn't include scene numbers but I only didn't do that because the Friday Night Dinner script they used as an example didn't either.

Forgot I had to reformat it so I was two scenes short, possibly the best scenes, never mind. Got the finale in, I thought that was probably the most important factor with such a short excerpt going in. 6 pages of script.

I also forgot to put name, email, address, phone no. So I sent another at 12-10. I'm hoping they'll be a bit lenient with deadlines, it pays them to be after all, getting more entries in. I'm sure most comps aren't as strict as they state in the rules. My last one was accepted over an hour late.

PS. Didn't see anything about header/footer or page numbers myself, and mine didn't have any.

Got mine in with the deadline, think I'm ok formatting wise - big learning for me from this process was just how much you can add to each page of script in re-writes. As I was just focusing on the six/seven pages I submitted, every time I revisited it I wanted to make it stronger and add more depth/plot/character. Not sure I've entirely nailed it, another read this morning has left me wanting to make a lot more changes which is disappointing, but that's all part of the process.

I have very little idea where the rest of the episode will go though!

Good luck to everyone on here, let us know if you hear anything - really enjoy it when someone gets some success from the forums!

My outline just gave the general gist of it, what the story I want to tell with a first series is, then short bios of my main characters under it.

So more flavour than detail, but there's minor specifics in there.

As for contact details, I didn't put them in a header or footer, oops. I put my details on the page with the outline (top right corner, like on a formal letter).

The only time I put details in a header is with my Newsjack submissions.

I didn't really give much thought to the outline, wasn't the focus for me at all - probably spent 15 minutes on it. I just introduced the concept and touched on some of the things they wouldn't have seen in the first 6 pages - I'm always in two minds about providing character bio's as the audience will never get to read them, so I only tend to write what the judges can't "see" in the script (i.e. age/any visual oddities...if important)

I don't envy the task of the judges, reviewing what must be 1,000's of scripts must be a complete pain in the arse. It also means that they could miss stuff, so I won't be too dismayed when I get the "no thanks".

I went for a 7 page extract from the middle of 30 min sitcom. A large part of the outline was therefore context for the extract. The rest focused more generally on the concept. My characters and their motivations tend to be significant part of this, so I'm confident they were adequately described.

To be honest, the outline/treatment is always a bit of a gamble. Particularly when the competition rules are bit vague. Similarly, I might have taken completely the wrong tac by going for an extract from the middle of the sitcom (even though I thought it was the best bit). But then if I don't get anywhere, I just try again. It means I can blame failure on the packaging rather than the content, and my self-esteem remains intact!

Anyone keep a note of the schedule page? The original link on Page 1 has died!

Quote: Antrax @ October 2 2012, 11:21 AM BST

Anyone keep a note of the schedule page? The original link on Page 1 has died!

This is what it said:

After the initial script-reading process, the judges will reduce the list of scripts down to 40. These will be revealed in early October, so you can see if you've made it.

The final 40 scripts will then be cut down to four. The writers behind these will be revealed in late October.

For two weeks after that, our finalists will spend time workshopping their sitcom with an established writer. The winner will be announced in November.

* I'd love to know how many entries they received. I'm guessing 800 - it's such a great opportunity.

Yeah, sitcom comps get loads. Laughing Stock and Sitcom Mission both got in excess of 1000 in 2011 didn't they? Even with the entry fee, Sitcom Mission this time round got a fair whack of entries too (wasn't it something around 500?)

Top 40 scripts will be announced on Oct 25th, according to Shortlist Twitter account.

Top 40 was originally early October, must have had more entries than expected.

So what do we rekon, 800 to 1000 cut down to 40? Either way, if you make that list, that's a big achievement in itself.

I've done what I always do, absolutely love something, then read it again 2 weeks later and detest it...it's because I'm improving at such a vast rate right?!