Blackadder returning to screens? Page 3

Okay, I thought it was 1982, 86, 87, 88/89. It certainly felt like a longer gap between 1st series and next lot. Didn't feel like just two years between series 1 and 2. And the fact the next three feel like a different package probably adds more to the distancing effect from S1 than time itself. (There we go, last bit of plaster on there.) I maintain it feels very different and fans who constantly dismiss or ignore series one (as happens a lot) are clueless! :)

Quote: Poirot @ August 6 2012, 10:38 PM BST

The whole thing appears to be a hoax but in respect to an earlier comment I don't need Blackadder to "say" anything. I just want it to be funny.

I'd agree with this, but "only funny" is not enough for a worthy Blackadder-Reunion. "Blackadder" in its prime had this certain spark...edge..or call it sarcastic magic. But only bringing back the old characters, re-visit old settings and catchphrases and give them "family-friendly" jokes which seem to be the business of Curtis and Elton nowadays would be disappointing...at least for me. I don't want a "Blackadder" episode with "My Family"-like jokes!
But anyway...it seems to be a hoax, so as Del Boy would say: It's all epidemic now! ;)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 7 2012, 9:42 AM BST

No, I don't think so. I've always thought that most dismissers of the first series probably weren't around to see it or were too young to remember it.

It is on DVD, y'know.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 4 2012, 5:02 PM BST

My biggest fear or nightmare would be that Ben Elton writes a Blackadder-Musical... :S

(imagines)

Baldrick: (singing) 'I haaavveee a cun-ning plaaannn...!'
Chorus:'Oh yesss! A cun-ning plaannn....!'

Quote: zooo @ August 7 2012, 11:28 AM BST

It is on DVD, y'know.

Yeah but for those who didn't see it when it aired it just looks too different from the rest, nowhere near as funny or snappy and they seem to quickly dismiss it. But if you saw it when it aired then you will I think have much more respect for it, and remember how great this new thing was.

I was attempting to suggest that many of the series one fans probably saw it first time around. Those who didn't don't know how groundbreakingly good it was. I can still remember friends (yes just) in the pub shouting 'fresh horses'. That it became eclipsed by a different sitcommier take on it should not take away from how good a thing in itself it was. I still think it's a better series than the others.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 8 2012, 8:56 AM BST

Yeah but for those who didn't see it when it aired it just looks too different from the rest, nowhere near as funny or snappy and they seem to quickly dismiss it. But if you saw it when it aired then you will I think have much more respect for it, and remember how great this new thing was.

I was attempting to suggest that many of the series one fans probably saw it first time around. Those who didn't don't know how groundbreakingly good it was. I can still remember friends (yes just) in the pub shouting 'fresh horses'. That it became eclipsed by a different sitcommier take on it should not take away from how good a thing in itself it was. I still think it's a better series than the others.

It's the same as with legendary rock bands. Most kids who get to know seasoned rock bands by their NEW records often dismiss the OLD ones not realising how groudbreaking and important they once were and that the new records (or new acts that were influenced by that band) couldn't have happened without the old records.
I think "The Black Adder" was and still is a great show but it's very different from the later stuff. And let's face it, the Blackadder-Saga became succesfull and legendary because of series 2-4. Many people who got to know Blackadder by these series don't appreaciate or get series one!
Edmund is dead, long live Edmund!!!

"The Black Adder" wasn't utterly terrible, but the successive series were certainly more refined. One criticism of all was the tendency to drag a pun a bit too far. I didn't think "Back and Forth" was that bad. I'd love to see another series.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 8 2012, 8:56 AM BST

Ah, I see what you mean.
With me, I just watched them all on video when I was little. I didn't really have any concept of what order the series were supposed to be watched in, or which episodes were newer. And yet I still like that series the least.
It's still brilliant though!

Oh why not it couldn't possibly worse than the shite Elton and Curtis have written in the past two decades.

Quote: youngian @ August 12 2012, 2:03 PM BST

Oh why not it couldn't possibly worse than the shite Elton and Curtis have written in the past two decades.

Couldn't agree more! Elton & Curtis wanted to become rich (can't blame them for that) but that meant that they had to produce shit for the masses.
With comedy genius you become infamous and poor...with mundane drivel you become famous and rich. There might exist some exceptions: Ricky Gervais seems to be doing what he wants and gets paid with shitloads of money for that.

My fear would be that Elton and Curtis would take this old (and brilliant) show and write stuff for it in the way they did the last two decades...

Quote: ToddB @ August 12 2012, 11:11 AM BST

" I didn't think "Back and Forth" was that bad. I'd love to see another series.

"Back & Forth" wasn't terrible but it clearly pointed the direction modern day Curtis & Elton would possibly go if they produced another series. Recycling of old gags and locations, none of the old venom & fire but a broader humour for the masses...sellout

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 12 2012, 4:17 PM BST

Couldn't agree more! Elton & Curtis wanted to become rich (can't blame them for that) but that meant that they had to produce sh** for the masses.

Blackadder was a programme for the masses though, showing people will respond warmly to quality.

Another analogy would be Curtis/Elton were Christopher Nolan now they're Michael Bay.

Quote: youngian @ August 12 2012, 7:26 PM BST

Blackadder was a programme for the masses though, showing people will respond warmly to quality.

Another analogy would be Curtis/Elton were Christopher Nolan now they're Michael Bay.

OK, Stanley Kubrick* > Steven Spielberg would be another possible analogy. I'd argue that Blackadder was some sort of surprise success, even in those days. But now that they want a "sure thing" the whole thing would be more calculated...but It would be at least more interesting than...a reunion of "Two Pints Of Lager..."

* Stanly Kubrick had with "A Clockwork Orange" a smash hit what not everyone would have predicted due to the very dark theme etc. So I^d say that "Blackadder" is Curtis/Elton's "Clockwork"...but soon after they transformed into Spielberg; at least Curtis...maybe Elton transformed into Andrew Lloyd Webber *arghhh*

Hugh has two films coming out soon and will be filming his role as the bad guy in the new RoboCop movie, for which he is being paid 3 million dollars. So he's busy, and that means this is a hoax.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 12 2012, 4:17 PM BST

with mundane drivel you become famous and rich. There might exist some exceptions: Ricky Gervais seems to be doing what he wants and gets paid with shitloads of money for that.

Failing to see the exception?