Blackadder returning to screens? Page 2

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ August 4 2012, 4:41 PM BST

Am I the only person who thinks the first series was the best?

I wouldn't say it's the best...it's a completely different beast. It has a completely different approach production- and performance-wise. I think it's great (and Brian Blessed is in it as well!!!)...but as already said: it's a complete different show. If you consider Blackadder as a unit made out of the four available series and you're a fan of...let's say..."Goes Forth", then you technically "HAVE" to slag off the first series because it doesn't live up to the stylistic and humouristic standards of "...Goes Forth". But treat them as two different shows (as I do) then they're both great. I even prefer the Series 1 version of Percy to that one of Series 2 ("My Lord, you know they do say that the Infanta's eyes are more beautiful than the famous stone of Galveston").

I'm a fan of both The Black Adder and Blackadder Goes Forth. So ner! :P

Quote: Aaron @ August 6 2012, 3:57 PM BST

I'm a fan of both The Black Adder and Blackadder Goes Forth. So ner! :P

Same here. But I'm not that fond of "Back & Forth" (although it has its moments!)...so I'm not sure if a new reunion-special is such a good idea. I hope that "Twitter-Gate" was not started by the real Rowan Atkinson. But then again...if they really do a new special I'm the first to watch no matter how crappy it will be. l'd most probably even watch a "Ben Elton presents: THE BLACKADDER-MUSICAL" ;)

It won't have the same venom as the originals. They're no longer angry young men taking shots at the establishment, they are the establishment.

I'd much prefer to see someone like Dylan Moran (or someone younger) portray a Blackadder style character. Someone who still has fire in their belly.

I love Rowan Atkinson but if it was anything like the last special, it will be an empty stab at nostalgia with nothing to say and nowhere to go. Essentially pointless.

Isn't this all bollocks anyway?

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 6 2012, 4:15 PM BST

Isn't this all bollocks anyway?

You wish!

:D

But, seriously, it's not really coming back is it?

No, it's not. The account is fake.

Quote: Lee @ August 6 2012, 4:13 PM BST

It won't have the same venom as the originals. They're no longer angry young men taking shots at the establishment, they are the establishment.

Exactly, and they were the establishment even back in 1999 for "Back & Forth". It was a nice nostalgia trip (they even re-visited old settings and characters with their time machine)...we don't need another nostalgia trip.

The "Sex Pistols" were mean & dirty in 76/77...then they cashed in in 2001 pretending to be still mean & dirty; but that was ok. But we don't need those reunions every ten years or so, when the protagonists don't have nothing new to tell.

Quote: Aaron @ August 6 2012, 4:19 PM BST

No, it's not. The account is fake.

Right. *avoids waste-of-time thread*

The whole thing appears to be a hoax but in respect to an earlier comment I don't need Blackadder to "say" anything. I just want it to be funny.

Quote: Poirot @ August 6 2012, 10:38 PM BST

I don't need Blackadder to "say" anything. I just want it to be funny.

This. :)

Quote: Poirot @ August 6 2012, 10:38 PM BST

The whole thing appears to be a hoax but in respect to an earlier comment I don't need Blackadder to "say" anything. I just want it to be funny.

Oh, there doesn't have to be a message. But without inspiration, what drives great writing?

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ August 4 2012, 4:41 PM BST

Am I the only person who thinks the first series was the best?

No, I don't think so. I've always thought that most dismissers of the first series probably weren't around to see it or were too young to remember it. With a several year gap, the next 3 were made within a very short period and I think that makes most fans think that 'was' Blackadder, when really it was a revised version of Blackadder.

I think the stories of the original series were the best, the characters bar BA were the best, the guest actors were the best. The fact it became incredibly slick, much more like a sitcom with closed sets and BA himself was a totally different much more advanced, involving lead character, blinds many to how much better the original series was, darker, more filmic, more atmosphere, more history.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 7 2012, 9:42 AM BST

. With a several year gap, the next 3 were made within a very short period and I think that makes most fans think that 'was' Blackadder, when really it was a revised version of Blackadder.

Actually, the first series was shown 1983; second series, 1985; third series, 1987; fourth series, 1989.