Blackadder returning to screens?

Apparently so...

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/08/03/blackadder-back-on-our-screens/

Let's hope it's good. But I'd rather have a new funny thing than a vaguely amusing nostalgia trip.

This 'news' is based on a Twitter account that looks very likely to be a fake. Hoping for confirmation perhaps later today.

Almost certainly a fake. The account also seems to have disappeared.

EDIT: Nope, checked, account is there, but still seems fake... It's @RAtkinson1955 if anyone wanted a look.

I doubt a guy as vain as RA would put his birth year as his account name....
Dunno?

Looks very fake to me. Set up on the 31st July, bad grammar and faux poshness.

Do you really think RA would do Twitter? Hardly the most outward going of celebs is he?

A good twist might be to have a new series starting, circa 1981, with Rowan as the latest of the Blackadder line, and a struggling would-be writer, as unlucky as his predecessors. While struggling to get his big break, he is also researching his family tree, during which he finds out all sorts of strange incidents involving his historical forebears, which enables the story to weave in and out of an almost contemporary era to various historical settings. The denouement could be that Blackadder ends up inspired to write a sitcom about his family.

Blackadder gets paid for the first Blackadder series, but lets Richard Curtis be credited as writer, until he is certain of how it gets received critically, having been promised his name will go on the credits for a second series, if the first is a success. He ends up relieved he wasn't credited as writer, when the first series is panned. He then writes another sitcom on another subject entirely, not the Blackadders, that seems certain to be commissioned by virtue of the support some dimwitted patron high up in the BBC, who is kindly disposed towards him (Fry or Laurie?)-only to be enraged when his second attempt at a sitcom is passed over, and the series that is commissioned instead becomes a roaring success-this being Richard Curtis and Ben Elton's second series of Blackadder

I'm not sure if this news is true. But if it is true I think they could only ruin the Blackadder legacy...imho "Back & Forth" was just acceptable at best...but an ok episode to bring it to a full circle and end it all. they should should now leave it as it is...

Am I the only person who thinks the first series was the best?

I couldn't stand Queenie in the second series. Hugh Laurie was good in the third and the fourth series was pretty funny and biting but even if this news turns out to be true I don't hold out much hope for it being any good.

Harridan's notion of a "a vaguely amusing nostalgia trip" would probably be what it would amount to. Maybe I'm just a nay-sayer but 'tired', 'off the boil' and 'past its sell-by date' spring to mind. Along with 'flogging a dead horse'.

Still, perhaps it would stop Richard Curtis making films for a bit.

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ August 4 2012, 4:41 PM BST

Am I the only person who thinks the first series was the best?

Probably not the only one, but one of a very small, select number. Like people who think Frasier really started getting good once they got Niles and Daphne together.

I'm trying to imagine Blackadder updated, to be 'edgy' in line with the current comedy zeitgeist: with jokes about paedophiles, gays and the disabled. Perhaps Baldrick, instead of saying, 'I have a cunning plan,' might say, 'I can think of a cunning stunt,' to which the others might make appropriate innuendoes, which Balders of course innocently and hilariously misinterprets....

Also, I'm pretty sure that account has already been exposed as a hoax.

My biggest fear or nightmare would be that Ben Elton writes a Blackadder-Musical... :S

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ August 4 2012, 5:02 PM BST

My biggest fear or nightmare would be that Ben Elton writes a Blackadder-Musical... :S

ha! A totally dreadful scenario!