Midland mirth masters/mistresses untie

Hi All,

I have tried this before but I notice an increasing number of midlands based writers posting on here of late so I am hoping the time may be right. Also, I have decided that for me personally the time is right to put more energy into this.

I want to set up a midlands comedy writers group. Logically Birmingham would be the place to meet - although as I am not based there I am open to suggestions.

The aim would be to meet monthly to do stuff like table readings (sketches or sitcoms) and offer supportive critique and create a forum for individuals to work together to polish their material. I would also be looking to develop something like a sketch troupe to perform some of the material generated either in a recorded form or live. This would either use members of the writing team if they are interested or set up links with local performers/actors.

I have a venue or two in mind, links to a couple of good quality amateur performers, access to good quality sound recording equipment and ideas on accessing video equipment and a wider performing talent pool.

I realise this is not the best time to get people together as we enter the holiday period, but I want to get a drum beat going on this as soon as possible.

PM me if you are interested or want to know more.

PM'd. Thanks for sticking with trying to organise this.

Hi All,

The meeting of the Birmingham Comedy Writers group will take place tomorrow (29th August) at 7pm at The Old Joint Stock pubon Temple Row West. If anyone wants to pop along who has not yet let me know please feel free. I am expecting 6 to 10 people along with interests in stand-up, sketch comedy and sitcoms, so pretty broad ranging. This meeting is about setting out what the group is for and suggesting how we might best pursue that as well as having a few drinks and getting to know each other. PM me for more details (sketchy as they are).

Sorry for the short notice, but I've been gadding around for the past few weeks and just got back today. hope to see some of you there.

Quick reminder for anyone thinking of joining us.

Today (29th August) we will be meeting for the first time at 7pm at The Old Joint Stock pub on Temple Row West, Birmingham (ten mins from New Street Station).

Even if you haven’t already expressed an interest please feel free to turn up and join us. We’re a friendly group, …ok I’ve only met me so far, but I’m a friendly group.

See you there.

How did this go? Bit annoyed with myself as only just discovered the post.

Will you be doing a second meet?

Thanks for reminding me Twitchy.

The meeting did go ahead and was small but perfectly formed, and a lovely time was had by all. And, perhaps more importantly, we have developed some ideas for actually moving forward. We're planning to get together again in a couple of weeks to confirm our thoughts with a, hopefully, larger group and move things forward.

PM me with your email and I'll add you to the list for more details.

How'd it go?

If you ever want to organise a Birmingham Sitcom Trials (to compete with the shows in Bristol, Manchester & London) I'd love to help. I'm performing at the Old Joint Stock soon myself (with the Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre) and it would be perfect as a venue. All you need now are some actors and you're away. Let me know if you're interested.

Kev F
Sitcom Trials

In fact this did come up and would potentially be of interest. We need to get a few more people together to talk about stuff before it were to go any further, but hold that thought.

Quote: Twitchy @ September 4 2012, 4:26 PM BST

How did this go? Bit annoyed with myself as only just discovered the post.

For me it was great to meet up with other writers (and a writer/director/actor!) and a really useful evening.

Looking forward to this month's meet-up. Hope to see you there Twitchy.

Anyone else from here (regular or lurker) thinking of coming this time?

In Birmingham this Friday evening (21st September) we are holding our second meeting of the Midlands Writer's Group. If you would like to join us please PM "Ponderer" or myself before Friday.

We are open to all ages, levels of experience and are from locations spread far across the Midlands.

If you would like to join us but are feeling a bit nervous about posting here please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Hi Writers.

I won't be able to make tonight's meeting; but to all those who are thinking about going, we had a very productive and fun meeting last time so please go. I will be there next time hopefully. Have a lovely evening tonight and I'll catch up with you soon.

As Ponderer has kindly done all the organising up til now, I have volunteered to sort out the next meet-up.

We hope to return, and in greater number, to Birmingham, on Thursday 18th October at 7.30pm in the The Old Fox Theatre Pub opposite the Hippodrome.

If you can make it on the 18th please PM me, or post here, so that I can get an idea of numbers.

If you're nervous about attending or have any questions please PM me.

So far, I can reassure you that we're all friendly people, we don't bite or smell bad ...so far.

I have not yet taken a shower today so technically the above post is now temporarily untrue.

This is not just a shameless attempt to bump the thread.

Quote: Die Hard @ September 25 2012, 10:41 PM BST

As Ponderer has kindly done all the organising up til now, I have volunteered to sort out the next meet-up.

We hope to return, and in greater number, to Birmingham, on Thursday 18th October at 7.30pm in the The Old Fox Theatre Pub opposite the Hippodrome.

If you can make it on the 18th please PM me, or post here, so that I can get an idea of numbers.

If you're nervous about attending or have any questions please PM me.

So far, I can reassure you that we're all friendly people, we don't bite or smell bad ...so far.

Another quick reminder that our next meeting is on the 18th October, details above, for anyone interested in joining us. Please post any questions here or feel free to PM me. :)

...unless that question is a variation on "How come your script for the Halloween Sitcom Trials got all those votes but was so shit?" Teary

Quote: Die Hard @ September 25 2012, 10:41 PM BST

Birmingham, on Thursday 18th October at 7.30pm in the The Old Fox Theatre Pub opposite the Hippodrome.

One more quick reminder. Any more for the 18th?