Current kid's TV Page 2

The kids are getting into I-Carly at the moment and they seem to like it. The constant 'rolling' laughter bugs me a bit though.

For a formulaic American kids comedy show there are some good lines on Zeke and Luther and even Kicking It has it's moments.

You can see how much influence Friends has had on the writers of these shows with zinger after zinger meaning we're creating a generation of smart mouth punks who want bringing down a peg or two!

I won't hear a bad word said against In the Night Garden. Great show for tots with plenty of singing along and you can't beat the quality of an Iggle Piggle falling over gag.

My two love watching Rainbow. We've got a DVD and a load taped off Nick Jnr Classics. I'm telling you it's well dodgy. Health and Safety would of closed this down in a flash if it'd have been on now.

Plus some great gags.

Err. Who remembers Spangles?

ps - I would expose Barney the Dinosaur to a naked flame. See how 'Super-de-Duper' he thought that was.

And that wee runt Sean.

Quote: longtime firstime @ July 25 2012, 9:42 AM BST

You can see how much influence Friends has had on the writers of these shows with zinger after zinger meaning we're creating a generation of smart mouth punks who want bringing down a peg or two!

Hah! That's a good point.

I love Rainbow, so many happy memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrDgXE8QHE

In the Night Garden is absolutely terrifying. It's like a fever dream that has somehow been broadcast. The Macca Pakka song pushes me over the edge.

Quote: Harridan @ July 25 2012, 9:51 AM BST

I love Rainbow, so many happy memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOrDgXE8QHE

In the Night Garden is absolutely terrifying. It's like a fever dream that has somehow been broadcast. The Macca Pakka song pushes me over the edge.

Rainbow so many 'best' bits.

Freddy walks in.

Freddy 'Have you seen my maracas?'
Zippy 'Pardon!'

Zippy's constant exasperation.

Some good cameos too from Jane Asher (woof! woof!) and Roy Barraclough.

And the one where there all doing a co-ordinated excercise routine on the floor is absolutely priceless. You can see they're all dying to burst out laughing - even Bungle!

I was at a Sportsman's Dinner once and the speaker was the 'original' Bungle. I have never laughed so much. The guy had some great stories.

It's amazing how subliminally invasive Night Garden is. One minute you're not paying any attention to this piece of nonsense and then you're all sat around going 'Makka Pakka Akka Wakka Mikka Makko Moo'

It's like joining a cult.

Could never admit to this if you knew my real name but I find something sexually exciting about the Irish one (is she the mum?) off The Tweenies which is mostly awful.

Anyway. Put the little sail up, light the little light, this is the way to teh Garden in the Night. Oooohhuuuu, Oooohhhhuuuuu, bom bom bom!

I think it goes.

Why is it so much kids TV is brilliant, whereas so much grown-up TV is rubbish?

Dunno,

Is it because the makers are left to get on with it more than writers of adult comedy?

Perhaps the producers know that writers sitting down to create say a Horrible History sketch will automatically know where the boundaries are and trust them to stop at snot and puke.

By the time we've moved to adult telly there are too many people with a vested interest of sticking their oar in and 'advising' what is and isn't acceptable.

However that's where the good stuff comes from. Like I say there's plenty of guff out there. Let's take the Hi-5ers and the Wiggles for a start off. I'm positive this show is made up as they go along. Songs about 'The Popstar Parrot' and 'Bob the Estate Agent' are just an insult to the children they're aimed at.

'It's for the kids' is NOT an excuse to churn out The Mattel and Mars Bar Quick-Energy Choc-O-Bot Hour hoping that mum and dad will just plonk their kids in front of the goggle box while they go on Facebook.

This dad takes a great interest in the programmes his kids watch and tries to give them a good televisual education.

You have been warned Australia.

Non pre-school, Wingin' It and Phineas and Ferb are probably my favourites at the moment.

My two (13 and 9) watched Balamory this morning for the first time in ages, it's like an old friend from their preschool days...'Hello, I'm Miss Hooley', love it :)

Quote: Splodge @ July 25 2012, 7:40 PM BST

Non pre-school, Wingin' It and Phineas and Ferb are probably my favourites at the moment.

I would not have guessed that from your avatar ;)

Quote: longtime firstime @ July 25 2012, 9:42 AM BST

Health and Safety would of closed this down in a flash if it'd have been on now.

!

As for why kids' TV is often better: it's not as high profile, so there's not as much interference from above, and less "my show's cooler than your show" competition between those working on the production.

Quote: Aaron @ July 25 2012, 9:00 PM BST

!

As for why kids' TV is often better: it's not as high profile, so there's not as much interference from above, and less "my show's cooler than your show" competition between those working on the production.

There's one that sticks in my mind where there's a story about a group of friends who live near a farm.

They wave bye to an adult who's happy to let them go and have tremendous fun playing in a barn, jumping on and off a massive hay-stack, playing with matches and throwing stones at a wasps nest.

One girl falls in puddle so she can get all mucky but the puddle is full of bricks and boulders - they couldn't even be arsed to clear that out for her before asking her to go head first into a stagnant, Denge Feever riven pond.

The bit about the matches and the wasps are made up (or perhaps they were cut from the original in the edit to save time) but can you imagine now if Mr Bloom was inviting kids into his barn?

'Dear BBC I am FURIOUS!'

Quote: Shandonbelle @ July 25 2012, 8:51 PM BST

My two (13 and 9) watched Balamory this morning for the first time in ages, it's like an old friend from their preschool days...'Hello, I'm Miss Hooley', love it :)

I just can't get away with Archie the Inventor. Especially the episode where he 'invented' a book. What? You own the patent to books now do you? Just sit back and let the countless royalties roll in.

Although the children's show Dani's House is bad. I like the character Ben a lot. I find him really funny.

Yesterday during a break due to rain I introduced youngest to.

Trap Door, Jamie and the Magic Torch, Chorlton and the Wheelies, Ivor the Engine and The Flumps.

Hooked.

What Small Films and Cosgrove Hall could do with zero pounds those hacks at Dora could only dream of.

Tell you what's awful. Thomas the Tank Engine.

I have never sat down to watch a show that's so full of bitterness, bile, envy, jealousy and downright badness than this.

The fact it was farted out by a priest hasn't escaped my notice.

Haha! Looking back, Thomas was all about revenge and jealousy. Every episode seemed to be about each character getting the one up on each other lol.