The Midnight Beast - Series 1

So Flight of the Conchords meets Lonely Island without the humour or charm, but with lots of lots of swearing instead of jokes, so that's...good?

Not impressed with the first half so far, but will keep watching in case it picks up.

Well, watched the whole thing now. Probably one of the most badly written, unfunny, lazy, unlikeable bits of crap I've ever seen.

Perhaps the commissioners of E4 should spend less time watching You Tube, taking drugs and wearing stupid hats and more time actually reading scripts.

Piss, and indeed, poor.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 5 2012, 10:12 PM BST

So Flight of the Conchords meets Lonely Island without the humour or charm, but with lots of lots of swearing instead of jokes, so that's...good?

Not impressed with the first half so far, but will keep watching in case it picks up.

Well, watched the whole thing now. Probably one of the most badly written, unfunny, lazy, unlikeable bits of crap I've ever seen.

Perhaps the commissioners of E4 should spend less time watching You Tube, taking drugs and wearing stupid hats and more time actually reading scripts.

Piss, and indeed, poor.

Get with it, old man.

I mean, I imagine it's not aimed at people older than their mid-twenties. It's not for us. I bet there will be plenty of teens who will love it.

That post was so meek it made me miss slagga

Quote: sootyj @ July 5 2012, 10:37 PM BST

That post was so meek it made me miss slagga

What would be the point in me slating it? Or even being surprised that it wasn't for me?

No offence intended I love slagga you just reminded me of him

I didnt watch the show I was watching something about pooftahs getting married

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 5 2012, 10:34 PM BST

I bet there will be plenty of teens who will love it.

Plenty of teens love free cider from Muslim sex gangs, doesn't mean it's in any way redeeming.

Keeping Up Appearances and Vicar of Dibley aren't aimed at me, but I still 'get it'.

This mish-mash of stolen ideas, weak characterisation, threadbare plotting, passable performances, dull swearing and sub-par collection of dick and shagging jokes should never have seen the light of day.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 5 2012, 10:51 PM BST

Did you honestly tune in expecting anything else?

Wait, so this is my fault now? My expectations were too high? I was foolish in thinking if I tuned into a comedy programme, that it might be halfway decent? Are you saying that everything that E4 commissions is automatically going to be crap?

Mixing music and comedy is very difficult, but when you have acts such as The Mighty Boosh, Flight of the Conchords and Lonely Island doing it well, it is fantastically entertaining. The Midnight Beast are just an unimaginative pale imitation of these great acts and do the genre down.

This got on the telly because some people on You Tube liked it. Hopefully E4's Charley Bit My Finger or Sleeping Cat Falls Off Radiator sitcoms will be funnier.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 5 2012, 10:59 PM BST

Wait, so this is my fault now? My expectations were too high? I was foolish in thinking if I tuned into a comedy programme, that it might be halfway decent? Are you saying that everything that E4 commissions is automatically going to be crap?

Yes, that's exactly it.

So it's not the long overdue British answer to The Monkees then?

Quote: Mark W @ July 5 2012, 11:01 PM BST

So it's not the long overdue British answer to The Monkees then?

Lunch Monkeys maybe.

Songs were good, the rest was meh. I'll watch next week, just to see if it improves.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ July 6 2012, 10:13 AM BST

Songs were good, the rest was meh. I'll watch next week, just to see if it improves.

That. Although I may not bother tuning in next week.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 6 2012, 11:52 AM BST

Although I may not bother tuning in next week.

But you might miss the bit where one of the guys wants to shag a girl, chats her up badly, thinks he's definitely going to shag her, but doesn't get to shag her and then says 'f**k'.

It's comedy gold. Unimpressed

I took an interest in this as by merely existing it meant I had to scrap a 'struggling band' sitcom I'd been messing about with for nearly 6 months. On IMDB the sole writing credit goes to a Tom Edge who has absolutely nothing else to his name whatsoever. Seems a bit weird that E4 didn't want some experienced people working on this, especially as transitioning something that's basically YouTube sketches over to TV was always going to be tricky.

Correction: End of episode credits says it's Jason Hazeley and Joel Morris, both of whom have a lengthy list of Stuff I Don't Like attributed to them.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ July 6 2012, 12:21 PM BST

But you might miss the bit where one of the guys wants to shag a girl, chats her up badly, thinks he's definitely going to shag her, but doesn't get to shag her and then says 'f**k'.

It's comedy gold. Unimpressed

How come you've already seen the second episode? Is it online somewhere?