Live From Kirrin Island

For those of you that liked Newsjack, you may or may not be aware of a similar radio show put together mostly by the power of BCG. It's very NJ in tone and was first broadcast on Surrey-based internet radio station Brooklands Radio. It's available now in podcast form on the iTunes, and has since broken into the Top 20 comedy podcasts.

If you like the iTunes way of doing things, you can click here to download: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/live-from-kirrin-island/id539347438

(If you're Apple-averse and can't stand anything they represent, well done you, and you can listen and/or get the MP3 at the Kirrin Island website)

Have a listen

Dan

Front page of the New and Noteworthy Podcasts on iTunes!

Kirrin Island proud to be 100% BCG!

100% BCG-evolved comedy sketch podcast Kirrin Island Summer Shorts episode 1 is now available to download.

http://www.tinyurl.com/kipoditunes http://www.tinyurl.com/kipodmp3 http://kirrinislandpodcast.com/ki-summer-shorts-one/

Go on! It's only twenty minutes out of your day!

Dan

Having just listened to Kirrin Island (anag. Nadir. Risk Nil)
I can say that Kirrin Island is spectacularly unfunny, it doesn't take any comedy risks and it is a bit of a nadir. To describe it as 'Middle of the Road' would be like describing Quantum Theory as a 'a bit of a brainteaser'. There's some very weak and bland comedy in there; it's the type of show that seems to want to please everyone, thinks it's being a little bit naughty sometimes, but is just being painful. Not surprising that I've only just heard of it.

Did they turn down one of your sketches, Cap?

Axe crap antic?

Captain Carex (anag: a inexact carp) great these online anagram generators ain't they? :)

Plus dear boy you can't have a bit of a nadir. ;)

And you didn't think it was 'spectacularly unfunny' as you said you found it bland and didn't take any risks. Language can bite one if one doesn't have it leashed when trying to be clever in a critique.

Quote: Captain Carex @ August 15 2012, 4:23 PM BST

I can say that Kirrin Island is spectacular

No I haven't submitted anything to it. You can have a 'bit of a nadir' in comedy surely (that's the attitude...) Yes, anagram generators are great...

Twats.

Peak is the top of things, Nadir is the absolute bottom. So no, not at all. Read the brief for the family friendly, home grown show from people from here and perhaps you might grasp what they were setting out to do. Whether it works or not is a different issue and critique along those lines is, I imagine, welcome. But criticising a camel for not being a horse, Captain, ends up with the finger being pointed back at you I guess.

Good luck with your generators.

Can people please stop drawing attention to someone who is drawing attention too themselves. And Captain oh my captain; dejavu hello its you!

Kirrin is a decent little topical comedy show, in terms of writing and production its one of the better podcasts and up there with a lot of entry level stuff the BBC does in radio comedy. Although its sterling performers do a great job they aren't professional performers. Infact middle of the road is bloody hard. As evidenced by the endless range of wacky, sweary unlistenable podcasts. Kirrin Island is a pleasant and amusing way to spend half an hour. And that takes some serious skill which should be recognised.

Maybe though its time to recruit some actual actors?

Hello all,
Despite Sootyj's plea, I ought to have a right to reply to the Capt's remarks as the muggins who set about producing Kirrin. Thank you guys for your friendly support, I really appreciate that.

As it happens, we've not been shy of criticism (including plenty of our own) in terms of what works, what needs more work and what simply doesn't cut it. And the learning experience and fun of bringing comedy alive (from many contributors on BCG) is the essence of the project.

The biggest self-criticism over episode 1 was performance (truth was we totally underestimated the timelines to allow a decent degree of rehearsal) but more importantly (as Sootyj notes) we needed proper performers. That journey is iterative as you start to have something tangible to offer "real" performers. I genuinely think we made some progress on our first Summer Shorts with some new actors and they appear again for the second Summer Shorts - for which we're currently gathering one-liners from fellow BCG-ers. Loved the LinkedIn line by the way Sootyj. And the second live show in September will introduce another higher performer performer.

But as Marc says, constructive criticism is welcome. We've put the first few episodes together around someone's house with budget equipment and lots and lots of effort, commitment and enthusiasm. And if we can provide some entertainment for others (as a free of charge podcast) it makes it all the more worthwhile. I don't think any of us are "twats" but I sense, Capt, you might have history on this website! However, as a BCG member, you are very welcome to contribute material which if it's up to scratch will get on. If anything, I'm fair and don't carry grudges ;) And if you can add anything that pushes the boundaries (that meets BBC editorial standards - which is where we chose to set a meaningful bar), then that'd be great. After all, it's a vehicle for all of BCG to try out new things and hone writing skills. And in that regard if it's holding in there on iTunes, that's great.

But in the meantime it's back to Monkhouse's skitcomp where I'm hoping for a result.

Alison :)

Twat Bingo Update: David Bussell 1, Marc P 1, Badge 1 (with a half outstanding for a 'f**k off')

Just to echo other's comments, the point of KI is for comedy writers and afficionados to have an opportunity to practice writing and be involved in a home-grown project. What with an appalling dearth of meaningful places to submit to, this is very much welcome. And kudos to Alison for bothering.

How do people submit, BTW?
I missed the birth of this particular baby.

It's very unpleasant that someone who dissents from the collective view has been jumped on so roundly. This is not a communist state.