Nina Conti - A Ventriloquist's Story

Her trip to the US in this BBC Four documentary showed this was a more vibrant art form in America.

Nina Conti is the only person in the UK I can think of who still does a ventriloquist act.

Why should this be? Were we all traumatised by the pure awfulness of Orville and Nookie Bear or do people just find it creepy, having seen Dead of Night and Magic a bit too often?

I only find those old fashioned man dolls creepy. I've always quite liked her act with the monkey thing.

I'm a fan. Her hypnotism skit always makes oi larf. I like her sense of humour.

I don't think she's very good, at ventriloquism or comedy.

I do! Very good, in fact.

In response to Ian: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003SNJDMW/comedyguide-21/

The docu was fascinating. Touching, funny, worrying, and yes, I'll go there: thought-provoking.

Quote: Aaron @ June 12 2012, 9:25 PM BST

Touching, funny, worrying, and yes, I'll go there: thought-provoking.

This.

Can I add one more? Brave.

Respect in the house.

I only heard this last week and thought how strange?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/mar/15/nina-conti-ventriloquist-ken-campbell

Best doc I've seen for a while. I really rate her as a performer, mainly because she has strong material.

Quote: blahblah @ June 13 2012, 9:42 PM BST

I really rate her as a performer, mainly because she has strong material.

You need strong material for puppets, or they can tear.

Thought it was brilliant TV - interesting that the Exec Prod was Christopher Guest (Spinal Tap etc). I had the pleasure of working with Arthur Worsley many years ago - on stage Arthur only spoke through his puppet Charlie Brown - off stage Arthur never stopped talking. lovely man.

Quote: Roy Gould @ June 17 2012, 1:09 PM BST

Thought it was brilliant TV - interesting that the Exec Prod was Christopher Guest (Spinal Tap etc).

Nina (and monkey) did feature in For Your Consideration.

I didn't know that - haven't seen it -Thanks

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 12 2012, 9:04 PM BST

I don't think she's very good, at ventriloquism or comedy.

Just watching her on Live At The Apollo, and laughing my socks off, idiot.

You now what's quite hard for a Ventriloquist dummy to say?
Nepotism.

I do think she's quite good actually.
But I can never watch her without feeling very uncomfortable for some reason.

Watched this today and it told a fantastic story. Really interesting the difference over and in America and how the 'puppet' provides an outlet for the ventriloquists true thoughts.

Hopefully seeing Nina next month.

Strangest part of it was that I found myself sympathising with a puppet monkey.