QI - Series J Page 7

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 1 2012, 1:55 PM BST

He's not the problem anyway, imo. Like I wrote yesterday...if they'd make the show trendier + younger and hire Russel Howard then it's "bye bye QI" for me.

Jesus, I don't want that. But I would like a little more acid, that's why I like the idea of David Mitchell. Maybe I should stop watching the XL and go back to the normal thirty minute crisper version.

Regarding QI supposedly not being as good anymore, I'd like to point out this. This is what everyone says, every year, over the slightest change.

People complain about the type of humour, the guests, the time slot, the channel. People complain about why they shouldn't show the 30 minute format and that they should just show the 45 minute version. People say the questions are too easy, or not interesting. People complain about Stephen and Alan.

Could the problem be that too many people are complaining? Could everyone just be getting in a fuss over nothing? When did QI start getting worse? What was the key moment? What is the evidence that you can show that it is no longer funny, and not just in your opinion but the opinion of lots of different people?

Also, I don't think you could never get rid of Stephen. People would complain.

You couldn't postpone the series for a year or two. People would complain.

You couldn't axe QI. I would complain.

Can we just lose the 'Goooooooooood evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening. Unimpressed

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 1 2012, 5:37 PM BST

Regarding QI supposedly not being as good anymore, I'd like to point out this. This is what everyone says, every year, over the slightest change.

I don't. In fact I think that this is the best series for 2 or 3 years.

Quote: fasty @ October 1 2012, 6:43 PM BST

Can we just lose the 'Goooooooooood evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening, good evening. Unimpressed

That is possibly the most annoying thing on television. Yes, even more annoying than ... Ant and Dec. Or him. Off of the thing. You know the one. Really annoying. Yeah, him.

Quote: fasty @ October 1 2012, 6:43 PM BST

No.

I don't get the need for any kind of drastic change to the show. Or any change at all to be honest. The episodes so far haven't knocked me over, but in all honesty, episodes of QI rarely do. It's a really good show, but it's pretty understated and modest, and that's what makes it better than other panel shows in my opinion. It throws all that out in favour of just being quite interesting.

If Stephen Fry did get to the point where he didn't want to do it any more (and to be honest, that probably will happen before series X, but then that will probably be quite a challenging series anyway) then I think David Mitchell would probably be the best choice. Or at a pinch Russell Howard.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ October 1 2012, 11:03 PM BST

No.

If Stephen Fry did get to the point where he didn't want to do it any more (and to be honest, that probably will happen before series X, but then that will probably be quite a challenging series anyway) then I think David Mitchell would probably be the best choice. Or at a pinch Russell Howard.

Oh yes, and Russel Howard will choose the questions:
-"How many penises are required to lift a car?"
-"what is the greek word for VD?"
-"What word rhymes with GITS?"

I'd go for Mitchell.

Rob Brydon seemed to lose interest, but I did like the way he dealt with Alan Davies usual MO of hijacking someone else's joke and making it less funny.

The Kiwi bint did not have much, but it can't be easy hitting your stride when surrounded by attention hogging comedy vacuums like Davies and Jupitus.

Quote: Tursiops @ October 2 2012, 11:07 AM BST

Rob Brydon seemed to lose interest,

He does lose his motivation if he's not at the centre of attention. He's not a team player.

The Kiwi bint did not have much,

It's not easy being a stranger in a strange land and strange show surrounded by strange people.
I wonder who got the idea to give William Shatner the job of a HIGNFY host. It felt strange seeing him reading jokes about Abramovich, NHS and whatever off a card. It's like me in school many years ago reading french texts in front of the class. I could spell the words correctly but didn't understand a f***in' thing of it.

... when surrounded by attention hogging comedy vacuums like Davies and Jupitus.

I wouldn't say that about Davies. But Jupitus is the kind of guy who thinks he has to give a solo intermezzo every 3 or 5 minutes even if it isn't in the slightest bit interesting or funny. But the audience seems to like it. But it's the same with MBB. Yell your bad jokes as loud as you can and the audience feels obliged to laugh and applaud.

MBB?

Quote: zooo @ October 2 2012, 11:28 AM BST

MBB?

Mother, Bring Beer...or Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Ahhhh, thanks.

Or, more commonly, Men Behaving Badly.

Oh blimey. This is why using just initials is bad!

Heed zooo QI

Laughing out loud