QI - Series J Page 11

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ November 5 2012, 12:38 AM GMT

QI absolutely does my head in: Stephen Fry, glued to his notes and autocue, reliant on the research skills of undergraduates whose reach extends no further than Wikipedia. Sometimes I suspect that the researchers deliberately feed him the wrong info. Some of the answers he gives are not just wrong, they're 100% head-to-tail wrong:

1) The cause célèbre question;

2) What colour is an orange?

..and then, the latest "unique card-shuffling" demonstration: Stephen Fry, bless him, obviously has no knowledge of the laws of probability, as he averred that no sequence of 52 cards would be repeated until all the possible permutations had occurred and that his shuffle was "unique" and had never been done before. Any systémier or decent bookie would tell him that this is nonsense: a sequence, however improbable it might be, could repeat consecutively. The more a sequence continues without repeating itself, the likelihood of repetition increases correspondingly. When half the number of possible permutations has occurred without repetition, the probability of the next sequence being a repetition is 0.5, or 50-50. Once more than 50% of the number of possible permutations has occurred without repetition, the probability of subsequent repetition becomes more than 0.5 - more than 50%, or "odds-on" as a bookie would say, i.e. it would be more likely to repeat itself than not.. and this probability increases with each subsequent shuffle. This is basic probability.

..and how would he ever know if his own shuffle sequence had never occurred before? Who's been checking every single shuffle of a pack of cards since the 52 card pack was devised?

QI's sell-by date has long since passed by, in my opinion. Harry and Paul should do a spoof of it.

Spot on. Fry's got an intricate knowledge of a number of topics, and a bloody good memory to retain an awful lot of other nonsense. But little wisdom. You can know all the facts in the world, but unless you truly understand them, you're still a chump.

Quote: Freddy Sanger @ November 11 2012, 8:04 PM GMT

I concur! :-)

With what? Are you intending to spam us? 'Cos it'll take me just one click to wipe your account clean.

Man, I really, really don't enjoy this show anymore. I don't know if my tastes have changed or it's really getting worse, but the comedy is just SO lame. I absolutely never laugh at QI anymore. And there is always some bit in the middle where all the panelists latch onto to some stupid, lame joke about tits or farting or something like it's the funniest thing in the world and guffaw about it, making lame puns and self satisfied remarks until it's completely run into the ground. Truly awful. Alan Davies particularly seems to be content to mostly just sit there and do nothing these days.

8 Out Of 10 Cats and WILTY may not be educational but they are sure as hell a lot funnier and more entertaining these days.

They makeotoo many of them, Alan Davies is on autopilot, Stephen Fry tries but what can he do when the teams behave like a group at a pub sitting around a table. It needs to ensure it has at least one person who can reliably supply some humour on the panel, I thought Jack Whitehall was alright, but how about people like, Andrew Lawrence, Stewart Lee and Henning Wehn to kick it up the arse. These bland types they have on now just sit there like shop dummies.

Quote: Pingl @ November 12 2012, 9:27 AM GMT

Stephen Fry tries but what can he do when the teams behave like a group at a pub sitting around a table.

Fry is no stranger to embarrassing knob gags.

But Fry is the host, he cannot do everything, he can only work and respond to what he is given. Jimmy Bloody Carr and his startled peacock look is really getting on my tits.

Maybe they should try what HIGNFY does. taking people outside of the comedy circuit. Politicians, journalists and other clever people. Some comedians proved the're not suited for QI, (that Khorsandi/Vegas episode was awful), self satisfied trying to be funny but completely fail. Maybe they should take some really intelligent people with a sense of humour but not comedians who try to translate their stand up gig onto that format or freeze and don't say a word.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 12 2012, 9:54 AM GMT

Maybe they should try what HIGNFY does. taking people outside of the comedy circuit. Politicians, journalists and other clever people. Some comedians proved the're not suited for QI, (that Khorsandi/Vegas episode was awful), self satisfied trying to be funny but completely fail. Maybe they should take some really intelligent people with a sense of humour but not comedians who try to translate their stand up gig onto that format or freeze and don't say a word.

That is what they do on the radio version. Museum of Curiousity, but I'm not sure that would work on TV. Get rid of Davies and possibly Fry and use some reliably funny people, Bill Bailey, Jack Dee etc as well as the best of the new.

Quote: Pingl @ November 12 2012, 10:10 AM GMT

That is what they do on the radio version. Museum of Curiousity, but I'm not sure that would work on TV. Get rid of Davies and possibly Fry and use some reliably funny people, Bill Bailey, Jack Dee etc as well as the best of the new.

Eddie Izzard could be host...but I think he wouldn't do it.

Thinking about it, I don't think there's a single consistently top quality panel show nowadays. There's lots that seem to be losing their way and getting lazy.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 12 2012, 9:33 AM GMT

Fry is no stranger to embarrassing knob gags.

Thankfully. Those have produced some of the best laughs of the series so far.

Quote: Pingl @ November 12 2012, 9:27 AM GMT

how about people like, Andrew Lawrence, Stewart Lee and Henning Wehn to kick it up the arse. These bland types they have on now just sit there like shop dummies.

Wehn? Thought you didn't want bland.

Quote: Aaron @ November 12 2012, 11:35 AM GMT

Thankfully. Those have produced some of the best laughs of the series so far.

Wehn? Thought you didn't want bland.

I think Henning is hilarious, always good value, never bland and a lot more entertaining than bloody Jimmy Carr etc

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 12 2012, 9:54 AM GMT

Maybe they should try what HIGNFY does. taking people outside of the comedy circuit. Politicians, journalists and other clever people.

They do include people outside of comedy - Prof. Brian Cox, Dr. Ben Goldacre, Jeremy Clarkson, Gyles Brandreth etc.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ November 12 2012, 11:54 AM GMT

They do include people outside of comedy - Prof. Brian Cox, Dr. Ben Goldacre, Jeremy Clarkson, Gyles Brandreth etc.

Well out side of comedy, well outside of entertaining too. :O

I thought Clarkson does a lot of comedy in his work...I'd describe Top Gear as a crossover between a car-junkie and comedy show.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 12 2012, 12:39 PM GMT

I thought Clarkson does a lot of comedy in his work...I'd describe Top Gear as a crossover between a car-junkie and comedy show.

Clarkson thinks he's funny, but not really a comedian. I prefer James May myself, but I don't want him on QI either.