Cockneys in comedy films Page 2

Wot abaht that geezer, Danny Dyer (pronounced Dire), he's proper cockney he is, guvnor, and no mistake...

Not to mention Peter Sellers in The Wrong Arm of the Law and The Ladykillers, and Bricktop in Snatch. And Sid James in Carry On Cowboy.

In sicknes 'an 'ealth? - 'Carry On' films wiv Babs Windsor??

I think almost any of the Carry On films has at least some sort of cockney in them, Joan Sims in shrewish wife mode or Barbara Windsor (any of her films, she's common in them all)

Barbara Windsor has a lovely Sunday afternoon show.

Minimal chat, lots of show tunes.

Thanks to everybody who replied already. I started researching on some of the movies.
Still I think I need to be more specific. It has to be a film, not a series or anything and has also been shown in cinema. Otherwise, the films usually weren't dubbed.
I'm happy for all the help I can get.

For a pretty terrible cockney accent Audrey Hepburn in my Fair Lady.

Also pre-war Hollywood films that required a cockney for Sherlock Holmes films would call on some Australian bit part actor, whose I cannot recall, but is legendary for his peculiar intepretations.

A rather good cockney accent is James Fox in Performance.

And turing up often in more recent films with Danny Dyer and Alan Ford are Geoff Bell and Frank Harper.

Has anyone mentioned Ray Winstone, who like Michael Caine has had trouble doing any other accents but cockney.

Quote: Hehm @ May 21 2012, 2:50 PM BST

Thanks to everybody who replied already. I started researching on some of the movies.
Still I think I need to be more specific. It has to be a film, not a series or anything and has also been shown in cinema. Otherwise, the films usually weren't dubbed.
I'm happy for all the help I can get.

I think nearly all of these suggestions were in films at the cinema.

Quote: Chappers @ May 21 2012, 10:53 PM BST

I think nearly all of these suggestions were in films at the cinema.

Daylight Robbery might work for you http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0893401/

Quote: Kenneth @ May 21 2012, 7:28 AM BST

Not to mention Peter Sellers in The Wrong Arm of the Law and The Ladykillers.

What about I'm All Right, Jack?

I thought Wrong Arm of the Law was a sequel to Two Way Stretch but Sellers seems to play a different part...

Rotten to the Core was kind of a sequel to Two Way Stretch, at least Dudley Sutton and Kenneth Griffith inherited the names Jelly Knight and Lenny the Dip from David Lodge and Bernard Cribbins. Sellers' Dodger Lane criminal mastermind character was replaced by Anton Rodgers as The Duke. It was a bloody awful film.

Quote: Tim Azure @ May 22 2012, 5:04 PM BST

What about I'm All Right, Jack?

I thought Wrong Arm of the Law was a sequel to Two Way Stretch but Sellers seems to play a different part...

Those 3 films may be the best way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon.

well that and The Man in the White Suit

Till Death Us Do Part. Steptoe and The Sweeney, they all dropped their aitches on the silver screen...

Anyone this side of the pond has certainly gone out of their way to forget Dick Van Dykes 'cockney'.

Quote: David Bussell @ 20th May 2012, 11:34 AM

Dick Van Dyke's performance in Mary Poppins is the cockney benchmark.

Quote: Barry Cross @ 30th January 2017, 12:39 AM

Anyone this side of the pond has certainly gone out of their way to forget Dick Van Dykes 'cockney'.

Obviously not.

'Ow about 'Arry Fowler?