Cardinal Burns - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: zooo @ May 14 2012, 11:47 AM BST

Why should she change her name? Weird.

My wife Bridget Christie, whose main area of interest is being continually referred to as Stewart Lee's wife everywhere and often by female journalists....

http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/latestnews.htm

Quote: Jinky @ May 14 2012, 11:37 AM BST

(By the way, you'd increase your chances of being called by your real name and not 'Stewart Lee's wife' if you at least met the public half-way and started calling yourself Bridget Lee instead of Bridget Christie)

Yeah, you tell her!

Quote: zooo @ May 14 2012, 11:47 AM BST

I still haven't seen this! Must give it a go.

You should do, there's some good stuff in it.

In the interests of balance, I suppose he could always start calling himself "Bridget Christie's Husband"

Anyway, I've quoted above the bit on his website where he was complaining about 'wifegate' and I've offered a practical solution.

I care.

Quote: Jinky @ May 14 2012, 11:51 AM BST

http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/latestnews.htm

I don't think his main point there is about her name. More that she is a person in her own right, rather than someone's wife. Saying she could solve that by changing her name to her husband's is possibly missing the point a bit.

People in the public eye who are closely related - particularly married - to someone else in the public eye who is more famous than them, will always be referred to in such terms. It's not to say that they're less of a person or not autonomous, it merely helps create a link and position their relevance in the public's mind. Fact of life.

Quote: zooo @ May 14 2012, 12:27 PM BST

Saying she could solve that by changing her name to her husband's is possibly missing the point a bit.

Or might possibly be 'ironic'.

(I bet Richard Herring and his wife would love to have this problem)

Anyway, Mr and Mrs Lee ought to solve this once and for all by becoming a double-act. When was the last married double-act?? The Krankies???

I would LOVE another Krankies!
Preferably without the weird sex maniacs element.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 11 2012, 11:21 AM BST

According to Bussell earlier in this thread, Cardinal Burns have a dynamite live act, but poncying about on stage in front of a group of drunken trendies, you know, the kind of idiots that laugh at meerkat insurance adverts when they're shown at the cinema before a film

Good guess, but the stage show I saw was pretty trad. Guys pretending to be girls, spoofs of This is Your Life, that sort of thing. A bit Two Ronnies if anything - not really comedy for your New Media crowd. Unless they're into that kind of comedy now. Stott, are we into that?

Literally just watched this on 4oD.

Opening zombie sequence lacked a punch.

Office flirt - Slow start but made me laugh, especially the physicals.

Audition, was going okay until the final punchline.

'Dreams' show sketch. Not for me.

Switch - Great idea. Some laughs from me.

Puking police detectives - I found this funny.I may need psychiatric help.

Banksy - Okay.

Trained fly - An idea there, but failed in the execution.

Queen sketch - Where was this headed ?

Closing sequence (The fly's ashes) - No.

Will watch second episode to see how it goes.

This 'rock star' sketch is too funny!

Very very dark twisted humour and you really need a dark side to enjoy this, I found the sketch where they're puking up absolutely hilarious.... unless you're into murder / crime shows or a generic dark sense of humour, this aint for you...

3/10 as far as good comedy goes.

Quote: cjdelphi @ May 16 2012, 12:38 PM BST

Very very dark twisted humour and you really need a dark side to enjoy this

I wouldn't exactly say it was Jam...

The sketches were all premise and no gags; there was really very little you could actually laugh at. Burns (or possibly Cardinal) is extremely accomplished a playing irritating characters; at least I found them irritating if that was the intention.

Rock Star training sketch was good, though it still just seemed to be missing something, which is what I'm thinking in each and every one of the sketches.

I mean, the guy laughing at everything Seb said. What was that about?

I think either I'm missing something or they're missing something and everyone gets it except me.

Dan

I enjoyed this, not as much as last week but I like what they are trying to do and can go with it.

The two cabbies were hilarious.