Amazon Sitcoms

Amazon are moving into making comedy.

Story from Chortle http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/05/03/15319/amazon_to_start_making_sitcoms?rss

http://studios.amazon.com/getting-started/series/?ref=hp_r1_tvwriters

This seems almost too good an opportunity, so would appreciate if somebody could find the 'non-US writers need not apply' clause that I have been futilely searching for.

Dan

Amazon now have Chortle and the BCG to thank when they recieve several thousand awful sitcoms to wade through! :D

And my work here is done!

Dan

I thought this was going to be another Miranda thread.

This looks awesome : )

Quote: swerytd @ May 4 2012, 10:57 AM BST

Would appreciate if somebody could find the 'non-US writers need not apply' clause that I have been futilely searching for.

Nope....

Amazon Studios is open to ideas from around the world. We are proud to have recognized talented writers and filmmakers in the US, Canada, the UK, China, Zimbabwe, the Dominican Republic and other countries.

http://studios.amazon.com/getting-started/faq#what_comedy

This seems the most terrifying thing of all.....a contest with no built-in excuses for failure.

Ahhh...I knew it was too good to be true....

All submissions should be in standard television script format with Courier 12-point font and standard script margin.

I'm out.

I just had this clause pointed out to my by my helpful legal eagle:

12. Similar Content. Given the open nature of Amazon Studios, Amazon Studios participants may develop and contribute scripts, movies, shows and videos that are similar to each other. In order to prevent legal claims that could be disruptive to Amazon Studios participants and impede the ability of Amazon Studios scripts, movies, shows and videos to be developed and released, you agree to irrevocably and forever waive any legal claim you may have under any theory of law in any territory, including, without limitation, copyright infringement or breach of implied in fact contract (idea submission), that your rights were infringed due to any similarity between your Content and any other content that is or may become available on Amazon Studios, unless there is substantial similarity of protectable expression under United States copyright law between your Content and the other content and the other content includes a verbatim copy of a material portion of your script or other written material, if your Content is a script or other written material, or a re-use of a material portion of footage from your movie, show or other video if your Content is a movie, show or other video. Note that the Account Agreement includes additional waivers of claims related to Content that apply to the Amazon Parties, as defined in Section 22.3 below.

She is literally an eagle. This is where she lives. It's eerie.

Kev F

^^^^^^^

Does that basically mean that once you submit your idea it's no longer your idea and they can pretty much do whatever they want with it?

I think this is mostly boilerplate.

They don't want to film a sitcom set in a school (for example) and have 30,000 people claiming that they sent in a 'school based sitcom' and have therefore been ripped-off.

I think our fears are natural, as British people are happier with 'Women's Institute' style competitions. This is a bit like the UFO's in Independence Day...giant scary things from the USA that we aren't used to because the scale is beyond our comprehension. We are happier with '16 quid and a slice of cake', not '60,000 dollars and a development deal'.

I think it's a fair clause. There's enough idiots who come on here wailing that their sitcom featuring "a man and a woman in a relationship" has been stolen by the BBC.

Quote: Ben @ May 11 2012, 11:05 PM BST

their sitcom featuring "a man and a woman in a relationship" .

Hey, I told you that idea in confidence!

Damn, I had that too but just didn't think to put them in a relationship

<smacks forehead>

Dan

I remember saying "good luck with that" when this was first announced. Thing is I wasn't being sarcastic, like everyone else.

So, how did this work out for everyone?

See, that sounded sarcastic again. It really wasn't meant to.

Kev F
Sitcom Trials

Quote: writer for hire @ May 10 2012, 5:31 PM BST

^^^^^^^

Does that basically mean that once you submit your idea it's no longer your idea and they can pretty much do whatever they want with it?

But this is the case anyway. You can't copyright an idea.