Have I Got News For You - Series 43

We're a few episodes in now, and for yet another series the prevailing feeling I get is how utterly pissed off Paul seems when anyone else gets a laugh. It's been commented numerous times on this message board that he seems to have been 'coasting' for the last few years, but his reactions to others are now just a bit depressing to watch. It was particularly evident in episode two, I thought. And perhaps even more disappointing than that being his reaction, is that the director cuts to it?! Unless he's trying to show Paul up, why would he do that? Confusing.

On a more positive note, Ian's as faultless and biting as I remember him being in the 1990s heyday, and Susan Calman was fantastic in last night's episodes. Hope they invite her on a lot more from now.

I like it when they do jokes about the Tories being posh.

I'm amazed - we're three episodes into this current series of HIGNFY and not one joke about Eric Pickles being fat has been made yet.

I don't agree about Paul Merton. He made me laugh out loud several times in HIGaBMNFY episode I just watched and he seemed amused and joined in with other's jokes. He's always had that deadpan look, and anyway he's not obliged to laugh in a bullshit showbizzy way if he hasn't been made to laugh, and often I think he's considering if he can add anything so is thinking rather than reacting.

The question I always ask myself - is Merton value for money? He's not the funniest comic or the most politically insightful or cuttingly satirical. I suspect he's only on HIGNFY as the acceptable face of the working class and that by changing to a new team captain, the increasingly elderly audience for the tired old show might have a heart attack.

When HIGNFY first started, it was fresh, subversive and most importantly, funny. Now it's about as controversial as going to your Nan's for a cup of tea.

Does everything have to be edgy and controversial though? I still really enjoy watching it. If they were changing the lineup every five minutes to follow the edgy trends it wouldn't be the same show. I like it as it is.

Quote: AJGO @ April 30 2012, 7:01 PM BST

I don't agree about Paul Merton. He made me laugh out loud several times in HIGaBMNFY episode I just watched and he seemed amused and joined in with other's jokes. He's always had that deadpan look, and anyway he's not obliged to laugh in a bullshit showbizzy way if he hasn't been made to laugh, and often I think he's considering if he can add anything so is thinking rather than reacting.

That.

Admittedly the latest series hasn't been brilliant so far, but to blame it on Merton, or even to suggest there's something blameworthy - well, I don't get it. It's always been hit and miss with so many variables - guests, regulars, the type of news. It's still one of the few shows I always watch.

I don't agree about Paul Merton. He made me laugh out loud several times in HIGaBMNFY episode I just watched and he seemed amused and joined in with other's jokes.

He's not unfunny, and it was far less apparent in the most recent episode.

He's always had that deadpan look, and anyway he's not obliged to laugh in a bullshit showbizzy way if he hasn't been made to laugh, and often I think he's considering if he can add anything so is thinking rather than reacting.

Sure. But there's a big difference between not reacting, and looking actively pissed off that someone else has got a laugh, which I found to be the case on numerous occasions! In any case, it's not so much him I criticise - whilst it's disappointing, he's a comedian in a vaguely competitive setting - but the choice of the director to cut to him looking so utterly moody when the audience and other guests can be seen and heard laughing. *shrug*

Quote: zooo @ April 30 2012, 10:55 PM BST

Does everything have to be edgy and controversial though?

No, the One Show and the Hairy Bikers don't need to be controversial and edgy - but a satrical and topical news programme that promotes itself as edgy and controversial does need to be.

Whether the audience has become so languid, undemanding and apathetic that they enjoy being regularly spoonfed a mixture of inoffensive humour and polite banter isn't my concern. What concerns me is that there isn't a single capable and intelligent satrical programme anywhere on the BBC schedules.

Comparing the old HIGNFY - in which they genuinely flew in the face of both government doctrine and court rulings to ridicule the rich and powerful to the new HIGNFY - bored comics phoning in mock outrage in exchange for a paycheque - is quite pitiful. The fact that some people still praise this show is the most controversial and edgy aspect of this moribund debacle.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 1 2012, 1:35 PM BST

Whether the audience has become so languid, undemanding and apathetic

None taken...

It was always going to lose a bit of the 'bite' when they descended into guest hosts. It turns the show into a bit more focussed on the personality and any gimmicks they might be able to provide, rather than centred on the news.

I think Paul Merton has been reacting like that since the show started. If anything he seems to do it less now than he did years ago. I always assumed it was just part of his dead pan delivery style which he has been gradually losing over the years.

You think? It's not something I recall noticing much before the past few series... Maybe I'll have to dig out some old episodes and have a look.

Quote: Aaron @ May 1 2012, 3:19 PM BST

You think? It's not something I recall noticing much before the past few series... Maybe I'll have to dig out some old episodes and have a look.

Honestly. If you go back to the Angus Deyton years, when someone else makes a joke that gets a laugh, Merton is often completely blankfaced. If I'm wrong I will humbly apologise.

I really enjoyed this week's episode but only because of Ian and Paul having a go at Jeremy Clarkson. A lot of Ian's comebacks were brilliant.

Nancy Dell'Olio was a complete waste though but not as bad as I thought she was going to be.