Which current radio comedies would work on TV?

A few radio comedies have transferred to TV recently, with seemingly mixed results. Just A Minute, And The Winner Is... and Bleak Expectations are some recent shows to make the move.

With these recent moves, I've been trying to think what shows currently on the radio might work on the telly.

Personally, I think that The Unbelievable Truth might make a successful transfer. In terms of how, I think that what you could do is have the lecturer giving their lecture from a podium and talking to camera. Perhaps there could be a screen displaying topics the lecturer is talking about (like in QI where they have the screens behind the panel).

Good topic Ian.

Cabin Pressure is crying out for a TV transfer I think!

Bigipedia could be really good; so much you could add visually.

I'd agree with both of those, especially Bigipedia. After all a website is mainly a visual medium so it would make sense to see the website as well as to hear it.

Quote: Mark @ April 15 2012, 1:12 PM BST

Good topic Ian.

Cabin Pressure is crying out for a TV transfer I think!

I disagee with you Mark. Excellent though Cabin Pressure is (and it's light years ahead of most R4 comedies) it would require recasting because Ben isn't a small red faced man. It also would fail mightily if it were say submitted to a competition such as Laugh Track because it's not a studio based sitcom. Try doing Douz on the small screen. Leave it on radio so that we can love it and enjoy listening to the word games and using our imagination as to what the interior of Gerti really looks like and whether Snoopadoop really is as ridiculous as Herc claims.

As much as I hate it, Clare In The Community would probably transfer fairly directly.

Quote: KLRiley @ April 15 2012, 2:34 PM BST

I disagee with you Mark. Excellent though Cabin Pressure is (and it's light years ahead of most R4 comedies) it would require recasting because Ben isn't a small red faced man. It also would fail mightily if it were say submitted to a competition such as Laugh Track because it's not a studio based sitcom. Try doing Douz on the small screen. Leave it on radio so that we can love it and enjoy listening to the word games and using our imagination as to what the interior of Gerti really looks like and whether Snoopadoop really is as ridiculous as Herc claims.

It would just mean a few tweaks here and there; it would be pretty simple to do.

So who are you casting as Martin then Stott? That is not a minor tweak and it wouldn't work simply transferring the radio cast. As it is we're all in on the joke that of course BC is very tall and attractive to women, whereas Martin isn't. And there's a lot of script built on the fact that Martin is who he is. I again invite you to consider the logistics of making Cabin Pressure. It's more likely that cost would prevent it transferring unless Mr Finnemore wrote completely new stuff, which would be a shame as we could end up losing the wonderful lunacy which is the commentary on the passenger derby as why would we need it if we could see it? No. If you're reading this John, don't do it. It works beautifully on radio. Don't turn it into another Bleak Expectations or H2G2.

Quote: KLRiley @ April 15 2012, 3:43 PM BST

So who are you casting as Martin then Stott? That is not a minor tweak and it wouldn't work simply transferring the radio cast.

Then recast that role for TV. There, done.

I again invite you to consider the logistics of making Cabin Pressure. It's more likely that cost would prevent it transferring unless Mr Finnemore wrote completely new stuff

Well of course he would have to write some new stuff, you wouldn't just tranfer all the radio scripts to TV, you would adapt it for the new medium, taking bits of what has gone before and adding new stuff.

As it is we're all in on the joke that of course BC is very tall and attractive to women, whereas Martin isn't.

Martin is unattractive to women primarily due to his nervous, somewhat weedy demeanour, even moreso in comparison to the charismatic Douglas, not because he's short and red-faced.

A description of the character, BTW, that I'd entirely missed and/or forgotten. I've been picturing him more or less as Cumberbatch for a number of series now, and it works perfectly well. No need to recast at all, and as long as they put the right team behind it, a perfect candidate for TV IMO.

Quote: KLRiley @ April 15 2012, 2:34 PM BST

It also would fail mightily if it were say submitted to a competition such as Laugh Track because it's not a studio based sitcom.

... Wait. Are we actually talking about the same series? Cabin Pressure NOT a studio sitcom?! Ok, the sets would require a bit of inventive production design to get right, but a studio sitcom with an audience's hearty and riotous laughter is EXACTLY what it is!

Less convinced on Bigipedia. I'd really like to see some short internet sketches and see how it works, but - as a total TV lover and devotee - I think that the visual element would end up detracting from the series. The inter-linking lunacy couldn't be done in a way that any commissioner would agree to put on their channel.

Cabin Pressure, could work on TV but I think it might need so much adapting it wouldn't be the same. And while I don't think they'd need to recast visually, I doubt they'd get all that cast available for TV. Which would suck.

Thing I think would be great on TV would be Alex Horne's Horne Section - could work almost exactly as it does on the radio - band, jokes, guest performer etc - would be good fun.

The Unbelievable Truth would also make a good transfer - not quite sure what TV would add but I'm sure it'd be hilarious.

Claire in the Community was originally developed for television and would transfer easily.

Quote: Hennell @ April 16 2012, 4:34 PM BST

Thing I think would be great on TV would be Alex Horne's Horne Section - could work almost exactly as it does on the radio - band, jokes, guest performer etc - would be good fun.

They were on BBC4 at this Fringe BBC Showcase. Works very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSt9vuM9b4s

Just the antithesis of this question for a moment . . .

Please, please, please NOT Count Arthur Strong !

Oh the opposite. He would work wonderfully on TV!

He has already, actually.

I think the character of Count Arthur could work well on TV, but a direct adaptation of the radio sitcom I would have a few reservations about.