Bless This House

Mentioned in the Steptoe thread a bit, and it's my personal favourite sitcom (Sid James is brilliant), so I thought it deserved its own one.

I know it's probably not everyone's tastes, but I just really love it. Hilarious, especially Sid's song in S5E1, They Don't Write Songs Like That Anymore. The scene just cracks me up every time. Their expressions can't be beaten.

I love Bertha Brown,
She's the biggest girl in town,
It's her bust that made the fellas all turn round.
It's a pity that she's lop-sided,
It's the way that they're divided;
One ways nothing and the other weighs 10 pounds.

I bought Series 1 on DVD a month or two ago and through time I hope to buy more Series as I've always liked Bless This House as it has the comedy master Sid James and the delectable Sally Geeson in it.Great comedy as well.

I resorted to *cough*eBay*cough*, due to not being able to afford the DVDs (and not all series have been released (or certainly hadn't at the time)). I do, however, fully intend to buy the proper DVDs when I can. :)

That will be the Network DVD releases that are out at the moment then.No doubt that once they have released all but one series they will then announce the release of the complete boxset with every series in it.That's what they've done with On The Buses.

Yep, very annoying! (Luckily, I've waited for OTB. Not sure if I should do the same with Please Sir though...?)

I've waited for the OTB Boxset as well and have ordered it online.I'd say check which company are releasing Please Sir.

Very sad news to hear that today Diana Coupland,star of Bless This House,has passed away at the age of 74.She starred alongside the great Sid James in the smash hit sitcom playing his wife who battled to keep him on the straight and narrow whilst defending her two children.

Another star from the golden age of comedy has passed away.

R I P Diana Coupland

Nooooooooo! :'(

Diana Coupland obituary from The Guardian. Better late than never, I suppose.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,1955942,00.html

Quote: Craig @ November 8, 2006, 1:22 PM

I've waited for the OTB Boxset as well and have ordered it online.I'd say check which company are releasing Please Sir.

That's a very sad loss. She always looked so warm & friendly.

If Bless This House was on the box every night, I still don't think I would get tired of it, exceptional comedy of it's time!! ... It's funny, I used to have a mate who would come over for a couple of beers, where instead of the typical night you would expect, we would always end up watching Bless This House (or Bottom)

I got the complete series from Ebay about a year ago for £15. Look out for it on Ebay, because many people record the episodes on Paramount Comedy 2. I loved the first 2 series, I liked series 3, Series 4 and 5 it started to lose it and series 6 was a bit poor. It's not a patch on the superior James/Powell/Driver sitcom Two in Clover, but much better than the James/Powell/Driver sitcom George and the Dragon.

Yeah, that was my source too. ;)

(Ditto Two in Clover, but in my own defence, I'd never heard of it so didn't even think to check if it was available commercially! (And, in fact, much of BTH still wasn't at that point.))

I'm not sure I'd quite agree with the comparisons to Two in Clover and George and the Dragon, but I don't really know how I would rate them exactly either.

I have enjoyed watching Bless This House and have all of them so far that have been released on DVD.

I also have George & The Dragon and Two In Clover and they are just as good! If you like Sid James then you will like these too!

:)

I think it's all out on DVD now, isn't it?

(BTH, that is.)

Sid James was and always will be nothing short of brilliant. I remember sometime in the late nineties - when I was eight upwards - I started watching all those old black and white comedy films and he was a regular - and I must have seen every one he's been in: Too Many Crooks, The Big Job ... to many to mention.