Mockumentary Comedy

Just wondered what people's thoughts are on the mockumentary sitcom model and if they think this type of comedy has run it's course?

I remember Ade Edmondson's Comic Strip mockumentary about a rock band in the early 1980s that preceded and unfortunately for Ade was then surpassed by Spinal Tap.

Then at the beginning of this century it reappeared when The Office became a major player and Peter Kay built his career on it, yet Lucas and Walliams' recent Come Fly With Me had mixed results. Then of course there is Twenty Twelve and The Thick Of It.

So has mockumentary sitcom comedy's time in the sun been and gone or is there still room for another one somewhere?

I've never bee a fan of the genre. I've yet to see one that really amused me.

Ditto Harridan.

There's room in comedy for every type and style of humour, but with some particularly big hits a decade ago really redefining this particular style in the public imagination, much else has paled in comparison, and indeed many inferior series have attempted to jump on the popular bandwaggon and copy the formula.

Is The Thick Of It a mockumentary? Long time since I've watched any but I thought it was just 'realistic' rather than a mock-doc.

Has the mockumentary's time been and gone? Not forever, no, but certainly for now. It's a very stylised way of presenting humour and the market has been saturated. Writers desperately need to move on.

Ditto x2. I guess if someone has a great script that feels it should be in that style then fair enough (I did like Office and Thick of It), but the show would have to be recommended to me from several different sources because I wouldn't currently watch anything promoted or described that way.

There are several shows that are apparently mockumentary, and I've never even noticed (The Thick Of It, if it is one? And Modern Family for example). If it's unobtrusive enough I'm all in favour, but the more obvious mockumentary style can feel a bit dated to me now.

They do talk to camera in Modern Family, so yes that's definitely one.

Yeah those bits are clearly interviews. But they hardly ever reference it in the rest of the show. Maybe one character will wink to the camera about once every three shows. And the characters NEVER talk to each other about any cameras or camera men or anything. It's really weird how they don't use the conceit. (Am glad though.)

Well when those kind of fly-on-the-wall documentaries first became popular in the late 90s, people were explicitly supposed to not address or recognise the camera, so not doing so is keeping closer to the original source.

Ah, I suppose that makes sense.

Mockumentary can be great when it's satirical. But all too often it's just repetition with a laugh track. Yes Minister tried to get to the core of how the British electoral system worked and what it meant. The Thick of It just reflected it...smugly.

Quote: Phil Gwilliam @ March 19 2012, 8:35 PM GMT

So has mockumentary sitcom comedy's time in the sun been and gone or is there still room for another one somewhere?

All it takes is a good one.

The Thick Of It is not a Mock-Doc, is it? It's just shot in that style to make it seem more 'real' or off the cuff. Why would they let a doc crew follow them?

Quote: Harridan @ March 19 2012, 8:58 PM GMT

I've yet to see one that really amused me.

Really? Blimey. There's definitely been some good ones.

I think 4 Lions was stylistically similar to a moc dock and was fighting fit. And Pedo Crossing in BCG's showcase is sort of a mock doc and fab with it.

Great replies thanks all.
I have to add I'm a huge fan of modern family can't believe I forgot to name check it originally. IMO it's the best mainstream American Sitcom at the mo.

I guess if it's 'funny' it doesn't matter.

To be fair, Modern Family is a great sitcom, but a terrible Mock-Doc. I mean, what is the show they're being recorded for supposed to even be? Why are they being followed, why do they let these people see all these moments, often very private moments? None of it makes any sense. But it IS a great show. Just a shit Mock-Doc.

Quote: Phil Gwilliam @ March 19 2012, 10:07 PM GMT

Great replies thanks all.
I have to add I'm a huge fan of modern family can't believe I forgot to name check it originally. IMO it's the best mainstream American Sitcom at the mo.

I guess if it's 'funny' it doesn't matter.

Yep, one of my favourite American sitcoms, whatever it is!