Dirk Gently - Series 1 Page 2

Great stuff. More please.

Quote: blahblah @ March 8 2012, 10:01 PM GMT

My only experience with Dirk Gently is this - never saw pilot or read books.

Brilliant. Thanks for that.

Oh, the show? It was alright I guess, killed an hour. Nothing to do with Dirk Gently (I have read the books) and it had Mangan in it, yet still, somehow, not awful.

I enjoyed the pilot, so I've been quite disappointed in this series so far.

Seems to me its not nearly Adamsian enough to warrant the Gently name. The plots need to be more complex and unpredictable. There needs to be more big ideas. Right now it's just a crap "quirky detective" show

Incidentally, you won't find it on iPlayer under "comedy". The Beeb thinks it's a "drama".

If not a little bit disappointing to see confirmed though, that wasn't ever a big surprise, was it? No one can write Adams like Adams could.

There seems to be quite a bit of dislike for Stephen Mangan. I do not understand this. What's so bad about him?

Quote: Aaron @ March 20 2012, 12:37 PM GMT

There seems to be quite a bit of dislike for Stephen Mangan. I do not understand this. What's so bad about him?

I don't understand this either.

Last night's was my favourite I think.

I've enjoyed it but it's nowhere near as good when Howard Overman isn't writing it. See also episodes of Sherlock not penned by the Moff.

The Moff would be incredible as a Gently showrunner!

There has to be some way we can make this happen.

Final one was definitely the best of the three, I still wish Dirk was more likeable, though.

The first book was described by the author as "a thumping good detective-ghost-horror-whodunnit-time-travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic" and it completely delivered on that promise.

This TV show does not.

It's shit. Really shit.

Mangan plays the part just fine as far as I am concerned. I like him. He's just working with shit scripts that do not seem to give a shitty damn about the source material.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ March 21 2012, 12:44 AM GMT

The first book was described by the author as "a thumping good detective-ghost-horror-whodunnit-time-travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic" and it completely delivered on that promise.

This TV show does not.

It's shit. Really shit.

Mangan plays the part just fine as far as I am concerned. I like him. He's just working with shit scripts that do not seem to give a shitty damn about the source material.

I've enjoyed them, and also do not understand why Stephen Mangan gets such a hard time with some people on this site. I think he's great, and great as Dirk Gently!

PS!!!!

I'm going to have your avatar in my head all evening now!
:$

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 20 2012, 1:31 PM GMT

I don't understand this either.

Me eitherer.

I've really enjoyed this, the two leads work perfectly together, so I hope they'll be making some more. (And more than 3 eps per series, please.)

yeah 3 episodes was not enough. Great show!

Yeap, I enjoyed this. More please

Problem with this is that the central relationship between Gently and MacDuff doesn't have any ring of truth to it.