Dirk Gently - Series 1

Very disappointed with this effort. Wasn't very funny.

For a comedy drama - rather than a sitcom - it was more than funny enough.

I just couldn't believe some of the plot points in the first episode (server room, really, in the office?), but it was a good tale with a few nice turns and - for me - a respectable number of laughs.

I don't think I've laughed so much at a comedy drama. I loved it. Although I agree with Aaron about some of the plot points, but they still seemed in keeping with tone of the show

I really enjoyed Darren Boyd's performance - I think he's a very likeable actor - but I found the Dirk Gently character really infuriating. I think I've lost my patience for characters who behave like arseholes all the time.

It is a while since I read the books, but I recall the character of Dirk as being much more likeable than in this adaptation. Of course it does not help that he is played by Stephen Mangan.

I've not read the books, though I have heard radio adaptations and I found him much more genial.

When this was advertised on the front page of the BCG the other day was he referred to as the Amazing or the Incredible Steven Mangan, I know it was something like that but I can't remember.

I enjoyed it, and Mangan's performance, although I have no previous experience of Dirk Gently, apart from the pilot.

My only experience with Dirk Gently is this - never saw pilot or read books.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 8 2012, 12:41 PM GMT

When this was advertised on the front page of the BCG the other day was he referred to as the Amazing or the Incredible Steven Mangan, I know it was something like that but I can't remember.

It was "The Wonderful Steven Mangan". NOT!!!

Yes, correct; "not". We would have spelled his name correctly.

Could not disagree more with some of the posters - I thought both of the new episodes were superb and Stephen Mangan brilliant.

Loved it, loved it, loved it!!

Pity there's only one more to go........ Teary

Agree with the above poster.

Didn't see the pilot or read any of the books but have thoroughly enjoyed the two episodes so far.

Episode 3 is a lot of fun too. Bit peculiar how all three episodes have such distinct tones and feel to them though. I'm not sure it's a show you could wath quite back-to-back, which is a potential downfall for the DVD market.

Quote: dennispennis123 @ March 17 2012, 3:19 AM GMT

Agree with the above poster.

Didn't see the pilot or read any of the books but have thoroughly enjoyed the two episodes so far.

Thank you Dennis! You must see the pilot (involved time travel), which is bound to be repeated at sometime - maybe if it transfers to BBC2 or keep an eye on the BBC3/4 schedules.

I think this has got some mileage with the Beeb.
Geek