Sky's new comedies

Personally, I've been really pleased with the output from Sky in the last year or so with fresh comedy. It's nice to see someone putting some real effort into trying to create new sitcoms because the terrestrial output has been a bit disappointing of late.

What do we think of it?

I really, really liked The Café. I'm sure some won't have, but I loved that it was really mellow and light and slow and just passed half an hour quickly with a smile on your face.

Trollied was good too. Different to The Café. Nothing new or clever but had decent characters, made good use of the situation (which isn't as obvious as it sounds) and had varied humour, some funny visual gags, some good lines and some cringey stuff.

Mount Pleasant had its moments. I sat through it for the missus really but I did find it interesting in part. Stella is along similar lines. I think it has more LOL moments though. It's a bit more corny than I'd like but it's not bad.

Threesome on Comedy Central was decent and a bit different too.

I read that UK Gold have an original sitcom coming and Sky 1 have picked up Chickens from C4 and recommissioned Trollied. They've done a couple of bits that I didn't really get into too, like Spy.

I'm really glad they're putting the effort into making new comedy. I'm sick to bloody death of panel shows. There's too many of them, it's driving me mad.

So thoughts on the Sky comedy experiment?

Sky are finally doing what they should've done years ago - ie try to appeal to non-football fans.

They should've built on the success of Time Gentlemen Please and it's amazing there were so many episodes produced which probably have not been watched by a great number of people.

The trouble is I haven't got access to Sky at present.

Ditto Chappers, and ditto on the broad view Rick (although not necessarily on individual show reviews). There's still a glaring ommission though: studio sitcom.

Quote: tiger_rick @ March 5 2012, 4:47 PM GMT

Threesome on Comedy Central was decent and a bit different too.

Looove this programme.

Yes, let's give Murdoch even more sway over our lives. Wonderful.