White Van Man - Series 2

I really enjoyed the first episode.

I caught half an episode of the first series which I thought wasn't bad but it didnt really grab me, I found last night's opener very amsuing and will be tuning in again.

Dreadful ratings last night. A real shame as this was a cracking first episode to a series that's even funnier and stronger than the widely praised first.

what were the ratings?

480,000. 2.1%.

Series 1 achieved an average of 750.

Ratings were down all across the board last night. The Man Utd game on Channel 5 seemed to take viewers from most shows. No doubt the football attracted a lot of the younger male viewers that would have been watching Pramface and White Van Man.

If it doesn't increase next week then there may be some alarm.

Yes, it was unlucky. Between that football game and Dispatches they were not well placed. However, a drop of around 300k is still quite an alarming achievement, and has not gone unnoticed. I'm deeply suspicious of BBC Three, but hopefully both shows will pick up next week, and with repeats and iPlayer in the interim. They thoroughly deserve to.

Pramface got a similarly low rating.

I can see both of them getting a lot of hits on iPlayer but sadly that doesn't currently get counted in ratings.

Love Will Mellor good fast script, yes think footy' has spoiled ratings here.

Didn't know this was even back on and it seems to have been hidden on iPlayer so it's difficult to find, which is especially surprising since I was trying to avoid the first series for so long but couldn't seem to get away from it.

Quote: Feeoree @ February 24 2012, 7:44 PM GMT

Pramface got a similarly low rating.

I can see both of them getting a lot of hits on iPlayer but sadly that doesn't currently get counted in ratings.

Luckily it is counted by the Beeb themselves, who are of course the ones responsible for commissioning and broadcasting both shows. Although if Jamey's comment is reflective of others' experiences, that might not provide a saving grace.

... took a little time to warm up to White Van Man again, especially as I couldn't remember what happened to his dad at the end of series 1 (but knew it was serious).

It all started to click into place and became very enjoyable, as I re-established the characters' "quirks" .... kinda "who was who" sort of thing.

Anyway, a neat little comedy, regardless of the ratings!!

Look forward to more next week.

All the best,
Cal :)

Thought it was pretty poor, didn't make me laugh and found a lot of the story/events implausible. Like the sidekick fella maxing out Ollie's credit card...that's quite a horrible thing to do, I'm assuming it's a company credit card and he's spent it on designer baby clothes, over a thousand pounds worth...I can't really relate to sitcoms where things like that happen, and the characters get over it in a scene. Yeah, he's gonna pay him back eventually...but still people don't react like that in real life.

And I found the ending to be too schmaltzy and too obvious. Also, I hated the chinese lady who couldn't speak a word of English, but understood it fine and had a right attitude.

Tell me what people liked about it?

Episode 2.1 certainly was sentimental. Put me a little in mind of Not Going Out.

Quote: Pineapplesky @ February 27 2012, 5:06 PM GMT

Thought it was pretty poor, didn't make me laugh and found a lot of the story/events implausible. Like the sidekick fella maxing out Ollie's credit card...that's quite a horrible thing to do, I'm assuming it's a company credit card and he's spent it on designer baby clothes, over a thousand pounds worth...I can't really relate to sitcoms where things like that happen, and the characters get over it in a scene. Yeah, he's gonna pay him back eventually...but still people don't react like that in real life.

And I found the ending to be too schmaltzy and too obvious. Also, I hated the chinese lady who couldn't speak a word of English, but understood it fine and had a right attitude.

Tell me what people liked about it?

Pretty much the opposite of every point you made.

Darren's a deliciously awful character, and Ollie's suffering at his actions is so great that it's almost tangible. The other supporting characters are a slightly heightened but believable array of personalities, some of whose actions might not be those a real-world sane person, but are perfectly in line with their personalities and the world that the writer has created.

Resulting in laughter.

This series is ab-so-lutely fantastic. I cannot praise it enough. It's been a long time since a new sitcom made me scream with laughter so regularly, and even longer since one seemed to be - somehow - getting better episode by episode. Astonishingly good.