Watson & Oliver - Series 1 Page 2

Oh, and it had John F**king Barrowman in it.

It doesn't get much more BBC System than John F**king Barrowman.

He was, at least, mocking himself a little in this appearance though.

Quite a lot!

Quote: Aaron @ February 21 2012, 3:07 AM GMT

He was, at least, mocking himself a little in this appearance though.

The man is a perpetual self-mockery. That does not excuse his continuing employment.

The studio banter bits reminded me a bit of Morecambe and Wise; quite old fashioned stuff and none the worse for that. Girls are talented enough, and seem to have some chemistry, but need to find their feet on telly and maybe strengthen the writing team. A lot of the sketches seem set to be runners, not sure that is a good thing. Anyway always good to see a new sketch show on the box.

Quote: Jerry1999 @ February 20 2012, 11:36 PM GMT

Thought it was pretty bad tbh. I only saw the second half. The John Barrowman scenes were more reminiscent of something Ant and Dec used to do on their show with their star guest (except Ant or Dec would come in dressed as Annie). I tend to agree. It's about 9 to 10 against on Twitter, someone even asking when did Cbeebeis get scheduled in primetime.

But somebody ALWAYS asks that!

Quote: Timbo @ February 21 2012, 10:23 AM GMT

The studio banter bits reminded me a bit of Morecambe and Wise; quite old fashioned stuff and none the worse for that.

Yes, that's what it reminded me of too.

They did seem to over egg some of the sketches to the point where I found them too long and repetitive, i.e. the 'darlin' one could have been shorter without losing any of the impact, ditto the prison one. During that I kept hearing the voice of the Catherine Tate vulgar granny, but am not sure as it could have been Pat from Eastenders...they certainly have plenty of variety and material there to sustain a series, am looking forward to more.

Didn't one of them rape Mark Corrigan on Peep Show?

I thought it was alright.
Most of the sketches seemed to have weak pay offs, or just fizzled out a bit.
But it was promising.
And as Timbo says, nice to see a new sketch show on.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 21 2012, 10:49 AM GMT

Didn't one of them rape Mark Corrigan on Peep Show?

Yes, Ingrid Oliver (brunette).

Oh my GOD, so she did.
She was terrifying on that.

I enjoyed it, although I do agree that some of the sketches fizzled out towards the end, but overall I thought it was good quality comedy.

I'll be watching next week.

Quote: Harridan @ February 20 2012, 11:41 PM GMT

I loved it! Very funny. Kate and William one really made me laugh, as did the eyebrows.

Unimpressed Yes the eyebrows sketch was good, and it should be it is the sketch version of Jimeon's stand up routine

Quote: SMOS @ February 21 2012, 3:23 PM GMT

Unimpressed Yes the eyebrows sketch was good, and it should be it is the sketch version of Jimeon's stand up routine

Not really. It's just also about eyebrows. Are we only allowed one comedy routine per subject now?

Quote: Aaron @ February 20 2012, 10:58 PM GMT

"Pythonesque!" - British Comedy Guide

That'll be on the DVD cover.

Pythonesque? Which bits?

I liked the eyebrow sketch.