Women on Panel Shows Page 8

Comes down to taste I guess; personally I find Jo Brand as funny as haemorrhoids, whereas, for me, Millican is one of the best stand-ups out there; I really enjoyed her Support Group. But both demonstrate that there is no glass ceiling in comedy. I am sure producers are desperate to find female comics who can deliver the goods.

I have never got Millican's appeal. She has all the "here comes the girls" Sisterhood stuff that Brand has. But absolutely not one ounce of wit or humour.

Now Brand is just one of the sharpest most laconic comedians around for my money.

She's iconic laconic.

Quote: sootyj @ February 28 2012, 10:25 AM GMT

I have never got Millican's appeal.

I think she is quite quick witted on the panel shows I've seen her on. She comes across as a very likeable and quirky individual and isn't afraid to 'muck in' with the jokes.

A lot of female comedy seems to be based around neurosis and self deprecation, which she does brilliantly in equal measures but thankfully not to the point where she comes across as a whiny cow. Plus there is an additional weirdness factor that you don't get with the Holly Walshes of this world.

I think her biggest strength is that there is a ring of authenticity to her material, you could easily believe she is the centre of the stories and situations she brings up.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 28 2012, 12:31 PM GMT

the Holly Walshes of this world

Please tell me there's not more than one.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 28 2012, 9:39 AM GMT

Watch Millican's Christmas 2011 stand-up DVD. Easily one of the best of last year's releases, imho. Her material is much filthier live.

Yep, this.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 28 2012, 9:39 AM GMT

Watch Millican's Christmas 2011 stand-up DVD. Easily one of the best of last year's releases, imho. Her material is much filthier live.

So that makes it good does it? Just swear a bit and people will laugh.

Rolling eyes He didn't say that was WHY it was good. It was just an added point at the end of his post.

I wasn't really referring to the swears. The content of the set was a bit more risque on the DVD. Not just nattering on about cakes like she does on panel shows.

See I personally don't find many of the modern generation that good, yes they can deliver a joke, and they can write sound material, but it's all a bit generic and repetitive. Personally not a fan of Millican or Brand. Personally the greatest female comic of all time Phyllis Diller, best British female comedian - Victoria Wood

I enjoy Jo Brand when she's not making jokes about how fat and unattractive she is. I think she's a better comedian than she allows herself to be, which is very frustrating.

Likewise Sarah Millican. I think it's boring listening to people constantly being self-deprecating in the same way - ends up sounding like fishing for compliments! Sarah Millican is very quick-witted, though - she absolutely stole the show one of her appearances on 8 Out Of 10 Cats.

Quote: Harridan @ February 28 2012, 9:54 PM GMT

I enjoy Jo Brand when she's not making jokes about how fat and unattractive she is.

So about 5% of the time then?

Quote: Timbo @ February 28 2012, 10:20 PM GMT

So about 5% of the time then?

It is a subject that tends to over-power the rest of her comedy, but it's not that extreme.

Jo Brand is ok, Cat Tate is quite funny on a panel.

Jo Brand is past it, she's coasting on all those panel shows. I'm sure it's easier money than doing a tour though so I can't blame her.

Cat Tate is quite funny but I got put off by her lack of Doctor Who knowledge. I know more about Dr Who than she does!