Women on Panel Shows Page 2

Nooo, that would be poo. Might as well have an all black panel show too. ;)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 20 2012, 9:39 PM GMT

Maybe they should do an all woman panel show - not that I'd watch it - but it might be good for morale. They could even have a sing-song and a bit of a dance at the end like those all woman sketch shows do.

Lordy. It's interesting that you wouldn't watch just becasue it was all women - not because of the individuals on the show or their individual comedy styles, not because of the format, just because they're all women. Sorry, 'interesting' is not the right word there, it's bigoted.

As for sing-songs and a bit of a dance, you mean unlike the sing-songs and bit of a dance you might find in all-male sketch shows like Monty Python and The Two Ronnies and Fry and Laurie and Not The Nine O'Clock News and Armstrong and Miller?

Quote: Harridan @ February 20 2012, 9:48 PM GMT

Sorry, 'interesting' is not the right word there, it's bigoted.

So if I don't want to watch an all female panel show, then I am automatically a bigot? Wow, that's some pretty angry words you're chucking around there. Perhaps that could be the write up in the Radio Times: 'New panel show Lady Laughs - watch it or be branded as prejudiced forever, you scum!'

As for the male sketch shows involving singing and dancing - I'd rather they didn't do it either. Luckily, there are plenty of sketch shows where they just concentrate on the jokes and not their adolescent stage school desires to be in 'Cats' or whatever.

Without the competitive atmosphere, quick one liners and general one-upmanship, I don't think an all female panel show would hold my interest very long. Does that make me a bigot?

Quote: zooo @ February 20 2012, 9:45 PM GMT

Might as well have an all black panel show too. ;)

Ooh, Reginald D. Hunter to host!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 20 2012, 10:10 PM GMT

So if I don't want to watch an all female panel show, then I am automatically a bigot? Wow, that's some pretty angry words you're chucking around there. Perhaps that could be the write up in the Radio Times: 'New panel show Lady Laughs - watch it or be branded as prejudiced forever, you scum!'

As for the male sketch shows involving singing and dancing - I'd rather they didn't do it either. Luckily, there are plenty of sketch shows where they just concentrate on the jokes and not their adolescent stage school desires to be in 'Cats' or whatever.

Without the competitive atmosphere, quick one liners and general one-upmanship, I don't think an all female panel show would hold my interest very long. Does that make me a bigot?

Not liking a television programme with an all-female cast certainly doesn't make you a bigot. Disliking a hypothetical programme, the only details of which are that every panellist is female, and therefore disliking it because all the panellists are female, does rather make you a bigot in this respect. Had you named the panellists in your hypothetical programme and expressed a lack of interest in seeing those performers, that would be a legitimate view based on your evidence of those performers. To dismiss all female performers as unworthy of your attention purely on the supposition that women are unsuited to that style of comedy is a prejudiced standpoint. You are pre-judging based on gender, therefore your opinion is bigoted.

And you know very well that you were suggesting that female sketch comics (as opposed to male ones) are predisposed to pathetic ('sing-song' and 'bit of a dance' were intentionally patronising turns of phrase) musical numbers.

Trying to suggest that I'm over-reacting because I called you up on something that others might let slide, doesn't make me wrong. Perhaps you misrepresented your own opinion, but you came across like a patronising chauvinist.

Quote: Harridan @ February 20 2012, 9:48 PM GMT

Not The Nine O'Clock News

Pamela Stephenson?

Quote: Harridan @ February 20 2012, 10:33 PM GMT

To dismiss all female performers as unworthy of your attention purely on the supposition that women are unsuited to that style of comedy is a prejudiced standpoint. You are pre-judging based on gender, therefore your opinion is bigoted.

Wait a second, isn't this the entire crux of your thread about Women on Panel Shows?

If the supposition is supported that women as a gender do not thrive particularly well in the panel show format, then my negative predisposition to an all female panel show is entirely understandable and warranted.

Without the competitive element, it is no longer a panel show, just some people having a chat. I might watch an all female comedy talkie thingy, but that isn't a panel show.

As for potraying myself as a horrible chauvinist or whatever - yeah, that's kind of my thing. My online persona is not always the most likeable. That doesn't mean you should dismiss my entire message though.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 20 2012, 10:44 PM GMT

Wait a second, isn't this the entire crux of your thread about Women on Panel Shows?

If the supposition is supported that women as a gender do not thrive particularly well in the panel show format, then my negative predisposition to an all female panel show is entirely understandable and warranted.

Without the competitive element, it is no longer a panel show, just some people having a chat. I might watch an all female comedy talkie thingy, but that isn't a panel show.

An all female panel show wouldn't lost the competitive element, or it would no longer be a panel show. Unless it lost panels, such as Alexander Armstrong's Big Ask. It'd just be competitive in a different way without the more competitive and shouty male presence. No?

Of course that's assuming that panel shows are that good to begin with.

I mean assuming you're right and women comics would do things diferently. Would that be so bad?

God knows panel shows are about as entertaining to me as Hugh Fernley Whittingsal trying to spread his own seed, amongst his f**king organic live stock.

Perhaps you should re-read the original post.

As for potraying myself as a horrible chauvinist or whatever - yeah, that's kind of my thing. My online persona is not always the most likeable. That doesn't mean you should dismiss my entire message though.

If you intentionally represent yourself as prick don't be surprised if people treat you like you're being a prick. I dismissed your opinion because it was idiotic and sexist, I actually didn't have an opinion of you before that message.

Quote: Aaron @ February 20 2012, 10:44 PM GMT

Pamela Stephenson?

Quite right, forgot about her! I was thinking of "I like trucking" and I don't think she was in that sketch.

(Just rewatched it, she is in it, of course!)

Quote: Aaron @ February 20 2012, 10:45 PM GMT

It'd just be competitive in a different way without the more competitive and shouty male presence. No?

I don't think it would be competitive. I think each female comic would be so paranoid as being seen as a bitch or betraying the sisterhood, that it would soon develop into a niceness fest - that is, based on the modern crop of female television comics.

I can't imagine two women having the same cut and thrust interplay as say David Mitchell and Lee Mack on Would I Like To You?

But this topic is veering off into hypothetical discussions about a non-existent all female panel show - which I am chiefly to blame for.

Do female comics get a raw deal on panel shows? No, I don't think so. It is a male dominated field because that is what is required for the format to work. Whilst there might be one or two women who excel in the field, the rest are left wanting. This is no different to the gender based roles in other works of life - from midwifery to off shore oil rigs - some tasks are generally better suited to a specific gender.

Quote: Harridan @ February 20 2012, 10:57 PM GMT

If you intentionally represent yourself as prick don't be surprised if people treat you like you're being a prick. I dismissed your opinion because it was idiotic and sexist, I actually didn't have an opinion of you before that message.

Then I wish you every success with dealing with it.

There are competitive, shouty women though. It's not like the ability to shout is actually stored inside the penis.

True it's where I keep my sandwiches.

Finger sandwiches are they?

I think HIGNFY has a quite a high percentage of female comics, writers, wits etc.

And with its slightly more laid back, less competative nature, it's way better than the monkey cage which is Mock The Week.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 20 2012, 11:03 PM GMT

I don't think it would be competitive. I think each female comic would be so paranoid as being seen as a bitch or betraying the sisterhood, that it would soon develop into a niceness fest - that is, based on the modern crop of female television comics.

I can't imagine two women having the same cut and thrust interplay as say David Mitchell and Lee Mack on Would I Like To You?

But this topic is veering off into hypothetical discussions about a non-existent all female panel show - which I am chiefly to blame for.

Do female comics get a raw deal on panel shows? No, I don't think so. It is a male dominated field because that is what is required for the format to work. Whilst there might be one or two women who excel in the field, the rest are left wanting. This is no different to the gender based roles in other works of life - from midwifery to off shore oil rigs - some tasks are generally better suited to a specific gender.

Then I wish you every success with dealing with it.

May I suggest you read this book:

See Amazon product listing

You seem to be under a misapprehension that women are a different species. Welcome to 2012, men can deliver babies and women can work on oil rigs.