Laugh Track - Studio Sitcom Contest Page 7

Quote: AJGO @ February 7 2012, 11:01 PM GMT

Stuck at fifteen pages. Stuck, stuck, stuck

Don't worry AJ, whenever I reach a mental block, I ask myself - 'What would three middle aged Oxbridge educated women, who've never worked a day in their lives, find funny?'

Problem solved!

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 7 2012, 11:28 PM GMT

Don't worry AJ, whenever I reach a mental block, I ask myself - 'What would three middle aged Oxbridge educated women, who've never worked a day in their lives, find funny?'

Problem solved!

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Right... Don't know where Cheryl Taylor or Kate Rowland went to uni but Dawn French wasn't Oxbridge educated.

Could you perhaps supply us with the sources from which you infer none of them have worked a day in their lives? Preferably not from their vast history of 'work'.

And I really don't know why you have an odd prejudice against women or being middle-aged

Quote: AJGO @ February 7 2012, 11:37 PM GMT

Right... Don't know where Cheryl Taylor or Kate Rowland went to uni but Dawn French wasn't Oxbridge educated.

Could you perhaps supply us with the sources from which you infer none of them have worked a day in their lives? Preferably not from their vast history of 'work'.

And I really don't know why you have an odd prejudice against women or being middle-aged

I really think if you're planning to be a comedy writer you might try to lighten-up and learn to have a sense of humour. Don't take a few throwaway sardonic posts so seriously.

(Apologies if this is patronising, patriarchal advice. I shall now go away and re-educate myself by spending a week nodding earnestly in a womens' refuge - namely 'The Helen Lederer Home for Distressed Kooky Dames'.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 7 2012, 11:43 PM GMT

I really think if you're planning to be a comedy writer you might try to lighten-up and learn to have a sense of humour. Don't take a few throwaway sardonic posts so seriously.

(Apologies if this is patronising, patriarchal advice. I shall now go away and re-educate myself by spending a week nodding earnestly in a womens' refuge - namely 'The Helen Lederer Home for Distressed Kooky Dames'.)

Bloody hell, presumably as a doctor and a human you do know that 'lighten up' and 'have a sense of humour' are amongst the key phrases that people use to belittle their victims?

I was responding to RC's post which was the latest in a long line of attacks on scripts and BBC output. At least he's sometimes funny with it.

And I do think it's damaging to have a go at education and age and gender, and to make amateur writers feel like they're betraying some unspecified cause by trying to achieve with opportunities offered.

Quote: AJGO @ February 7 2012, 11:55 PM GMT

Bloody hell, presumably as a doctor and a human you do know that 'lighten up' and 'have a sense of humour' are amongst the key phrases that people use to belittle their victims?

I was responding to RC's post which was the latest in a long line of attacks on scripts and BBC output. At least he's sometimes funny with it.

And I do think it's damaging to have a go at education and age and gender, and to make amateur writers feel like they're betraying some unspecified cause by trying to achieve with opportunities offered.

See previous response.

Your sense of persecution (either direct or indirect) in all in your own mind.

Jesus, this is tedious...

Anyway, good luck with your script!

Problem solved!

Really?

Dawn French went to drama school and the CVs of the other two judges in this comp seem impossible to trace on the internet.

Dawn's just there for fun. The one you have to pitch at is Cheryl Taylor (Bristol University?) seeing as she has the power to actually make things happen.

Here she is!

http://soundcloud.com/broadway-cinema/screenlit-2010-bbc-writersroom

(Any sitcoms about failed actresses will probably go down badly)

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 7 2012, 11:58 PM GMT

See previous response.

Jesus, this is tedious...

Anyway, good luck with your script!

That you think I feel persecuted when I'm putting forward my view, because I'm female is ridiculous.
Yes, this is tedious-there was no reason for you to respond to either of my posts if you find my posts or opinions so dull
Thanks for the good wishes. If there is one thing I've learnt on this forum it's to never say if you have any success. Or views. Or a vagina.

Quote: AJGO @ February 8 2012, 12:05 AM GMT

That you think I feel persecuted when I'm putting forward my view, because I'm female is ridiculous.

I never said any such thing, but never mind...

Yes, this is tedious-there was no reason for you to respond to either of my posts if you find my posts or opinions so dull

It's an open members' forum thread. I'm entitled (within the board rules) to respond to post if I choose to do so. So are you.

Thanks for the good wishes. If there is one thing I've learnt on this forum it's to never say if you have any success. Or views. Or a vagina.

I have absolutely no interest in your vagina, if indeed you possess one.

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 7 2012, 11:58 PM GMT

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 8 2012, 12:13 AM GMT

It's an open members' forum thread. I'm entitled (within the board rules) to respond to post if I choose to do so. So are you.

Indeed. Hurrah that we embarked on such a friendly and productive conversation

Quote: Tim Walker @ February 8 2012, 12:13 AM GMT

I have absolutely no interest in your vagina, if indeed you possess one.

The latter part of that statment is very, very odd

'What would three middle aged Oxbridge educated women, who've never worked a day in their lives, find funny?'

Though looking on the positive side they are not Jews or homosexuals.

Quote: AJGO @ February 7 2012, 11:37 PM GMT

Three middle aged women are judging the competition. As such, everyone (including me) will be tailoring scripts to fit in with their narrow view of comedy.

Factor in the guidelines supplied by the Laugh Track organisers and the sample winning script and it is a recipe for bland, middle class, family fare.

If that is not prejudicial, I'm not sure what is.

(Apologies for assuming the judging panel were Oxbridge graduates - no insult was intended)

Quote: Timbo @ February 8 2012, 12:23 AM GMT

Though looking on the positive side they are not Jews or homosexuals.

Jews and homosexuals are very good at comedy.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 8 2012, 12:27 AM GMT

Three middle aged women are judging the competition. As such, everyone (including me) will be tailoring scripts to fit in with their narrow view of comedy.

Perhaps this is the problem? You think that middle-aged women of a certain type will only like or appreciate certain types of comedy. You know, just like only people who are dead like Laurel and Hardy, because that's so old-school.

Quote: Badge @ February 8 2012, 12:31 AM GMT

Perhaps this is the problem? You think that middle-aged women of a certain type will only like or appreciate certain types of comedy. You know, just like only people who are dead like Laurel and Hardy, because that's so old-school.

That is indeed true, I am making some massive assumptions about the judging panel and their comedic tastes and I could very well be totally wrong. (I'm not though)

If the judging panel were Sharon Horgan, Jenny Eclair and Jo Brand, perhaps I wouldn't fell so 'jittery' about the process and would never have espoused the ageist and sexist remarks I've stated previously.

But, just like everyone else, I'm attempting to write Butterflies 2.0 in order to reach the finals.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 8 2012, 12:40 AM GMT

That is indeed true, I am making some massive assumptions about the judging panel and their comedic tastes and I could very well be totally wrong.

Cheryl did give the world Spaced, Black Books and Derren Brown.

So it's not totally The Vagina Monologues, for all her sins...

Though she also gave us Gavin and Stacey

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 8 2012, 12:40 AM GMT

But, just like everyone else, I'm attempting to write Butterflies 2.0 in order to reach the finals.

Butterflies just shows everybody that you gave up on Marigold after 10 pages.

Those of us who made it to the end know that it's Butterflies plus Friday Night Dinner