Help! Trying to find an old radio comedy show

Okay, I'm not expecting to get anything but I thought I'd give this forum a go.

I used to listen to a lot of comedy shows on the radio when I was younger, especially in the evening when I'd gone to bed.

I can remember two sketches and I am trying to either track down what show they were broadcast on, or even better actually get hold of them.

One was a sketch on the Oracle at Delphi where they had gone back to her after a failed raid. The sketch went along the lines of:

"I told you when the light of the sun strikes their bronze shields then shall you attack"
"Ah yes, that was the problem, it was raining"
"Well you shouldn't have taken me so literally; when the light of the sun - or heavy torrential rain - strikes their bronze shields then shall you attack"

(Words may not be exact, but close enough).

The other was a Halloween spoof. The narrator starts with a really deep and gruff voice and starts off with phrases like "This one goes beyond horror, beyond terror, beyond Smiths and third left past Boots". "Dumb yankee schoolkids being massacred in a variety of amusing ways". The baby sitter arrives at the house and she is asked by the owners is she is still seeing that nice young boy. "Yes, why do you ask?". "It's just we saw him hanging by his gizzards from the tree down the road and though we'd ask. And if for some reason you spill coffee down your dress and feel the need to take it off and stand in front of the windows, the washing machine is in the building at the bottom of the garden by the creepy trees. If you get lost ask the man in the hood carrying the scythe."

I will admit that I can't remember them word for word, but these two always stuck in my mind and I would love to find them again.

When you say "when I was younger"... when? How old are you now, and how old were you then? In other words, roughly what year or decade? :)

Could be I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again or The Burkiss Way.

As Aaron says it would be helpful to know when you were young.

Teary I'm ancient now, lol.
It would have been around the very late 70s or early 80s.
Around the same time the Hitchhikers Guide was being broadcast.

I'll have a look into those two series, thanks.

Hi I know its 4 years ago but did you ever find the radio show with the "oracle delphi" sketch in it I believe it also had a sketch about camp crystal.

Doesn't sound like Round the Horne. It's certainly weird enough for Burkiss Way. If Eric Pode of Croyden turned up, you'd know for sure.

Quote: andrew humphreys @ 10th April 2016, 12:32 PM BST

Hi I know its 4 years ago but did you ever find the radio show with the "oracle delphi" sketch in it I believe it also had a sketch about camp crystal.

I shouldn't bother asking, one of the many that post a question and disappear in the night never to be heard from again.

Questions feel like they need to be answered. Except the "was that you?" one.

Quote: Rayven @ 28th January 2012, 8:36 PM

Okay, I'm not expecting to get anything

Self fulfilling prophesy strikes again.. Errr