Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 Page 5

Quote: Lee Henman @ January 27 2012, 2:47 AM GMT

But this is Noel's show and, difficult as it is, I suppose we should try to view it as a completely different entity to the Booch

I have never seen Booch so my opinion of this new show is sterile. It was just unfunny. This might sound a bit picky but the character who was a cop with a scar that talked was yellow. You could see where the yellow makeup ended on his wrists and neck. This was not a cheaply produced show so I found the attention to detail disappointing in it self.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 27 2012, 8:32 AM GMT

It's telling, on a forum of people who'll argue the toss over just about anything, that not one person so far has stepped up to defend this show.

Now hold up, I haven't seen it yet, so I think, regardless of my true feelings, I will come back later to call you all ignorant twats.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 27 2012, 9:17 AM GMT

Now hold up, I haven't seen it yet, so I think, regardless of my true feelings, I will come back later to call you all ignorant twats.

We await with baited breasts.

Ignorant twat.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 27 2012, 1:44 AM GMT

P.S. 3 years to write that lion in a cage sketch?! You are shitting me?

I sort of quite liked the lion in a cage sketch. :$

Quote: David Bussell @ January 27 2012, 8:32 AM GMT

It's telling, on a forum of people who'll argue the toss over just about anything, that not one person so far has stepped up to defend this show.

If the few people who like it don't happen to be loudmouth types they're probably scared of being attacked if they do say they liked it. Anyway I have seen a couple of posts saying they liked it, so that's not entirely accurate.

I haven't watched it yet.

Quote: zooo @ January 27 2012, 10:34 AM GMT

If the few people who like it don't happen to be loudmouth types they're probably scared of being attacked if they do say they liked it. Anyway I have seen a couple of posts saying they liked it, so that's not entirely accurate.

I honestly must have missed the posts saying they liked it, and I thought I'd read this thread pretty thoroughly.

You're right to say that the dissenters tend to be the most vocal but it does seem this show is getting an especially hard time from those that watched it. Haven't read any actual reviews yet but I'd be surprised if they were terribly out of step with what's being said on here.

I don't think is helps that Fielding is a bit long in the tooth for all this nonsense. He's beginning to come over less "Camden leisure pirate" than "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang child catcher".

One was on the what are you watching on TV thread.
Unless he's deleted it!
From fear!
;)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 27 2012, 9:17 AM GMT

I haven't seen it yet

I haven't watched it yet.

I'm beginning to see a pattern emerge from the show's defenders.

I'm not defending it at all. As you will notice if you actually read what I've written.

Quote: zooo @ January 27 2012, 1:30 AM GMT

However bad or good it's turned out

If the few people who like it

If that's any kind of defence I wouldn't want me as a lawyer. :)

Quote: zooo @ January 27 2012, 12:44 PM GMT

I'm not defending it at all. As you will notice if you actually read what I've written.

Join us zooo! Give in to your hate!

Seriously, I think we're all a little upset because we wanted it to be good. I think Noel is quite talented in lots of ways but felt this was a completely missed opportunity.

When I watch it, I'm not actually expecting to love it.
As a rule, I don't like anything where the actors' faces are covered up with makeup and silly crap. You can't see the acting so you may as well be watching a cartoon.
In the Boosh, Vince and Howard's faces were always uncovered, however many other smaller characters were in full costume.
I expect to like a few scenes, but probably not all of it.
However it might be a grower, some odd things are.

Quote: zooo @ January 27 2012, 12:55 PM GMT

When I watch it, I'm not actually expecting to love it.
As a rule, I don't like anything where the actors' faces are covered up with makeup and silly crap. You can't see the acting so you may as well be watching a cartoon.
In the Boosh, Vince and Howard's faces were always uncovered, however many other smaller characters were in full costume.
I expect to like a few scenes, but probably not all of it.
However it might be a grower, some odd things are.

Zooo you sound like a couple of colleagues of mine who had arranged marriages.

He may be an illiterate goat herder with syphillis. But I expect to like some of the cuddles and the sheep will be cute.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 27 2012, 12:32 PM GMT

I'm beginning to see a pattern emerge from the show's defenders.

I don't think I actually did defend it, how could I, haven't seen it,it was merely a 'joke'.

Quote: kipper @ January 27 2012, 1:01 PM GMT

The term 'grow up' springs to mind whenever I see him lurking about on other people's TV shows, trying hard to look cool and disinterested.

I think he's often self-mocking, or at least trying to give that appearance. For example, in The IT Crowd, Richmond was portrayed as a ridiculous doom-obsessed goth hermit.