Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 Page 16

Better than last week, raised a chuckle here and there.

I haven't seen it.

But, for tuppence worth, surely the second series was commissioned at the same time as the first? Conversation something like this:

NOEL'S PEOPLE:
He's hot property.

E4 PEOPLE:
Yeah, we'll give hIm a series!

NOEL'S PEOPLE:
You'll give him two! Or well go to Dave. Or Dave Ja Vu.

E4 PEOPLE:
Yikes! Of course, two series, your honour, majesty, etc.

NOEL'S PEOPLE:
But don't tell evryone yet. Y'know, wait until the first episode is shown and THEN announce the second series.

E4 PEOPLE:
Great! But what if it stinks?

NOEL'S PEOPLE:
It won't stink.

NOEL'S PEOPLE RETIRE TO A HUBBUB

NOEL'S PEOPLE:
It'll look good. And nobody will notice.

NOEL'S PEOPLE JUMP OUT OF THE WINDOW.

Quote: Badge @ February 2 2012, 11:42 PM GMT

I haven't seen it.

But, for tuppence worth, surely the second series was commissioned at the same time as the first? Conversation something like this:

NOEL'S PEOPLE:
He's hot property.

Excellent, but you didn't use the word zeitgeisty once. :(

(and failed to mention that Noel was so off his tits, he thought the Commissioner's Office was Euro Disney)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 2 2012, 11:54 PM GMT

Excellent, but you didn't use the word zeitgeisty once. :(

(and failed to mention that Noel was so off his tits, he thought the Commissioner's Office was Euro Disney)

This isn't comedy.

Quote: Badge @ February 2 2012, 11:57 PM GMT

This isn't comedy.

Wait until you get round to seeing Luxury Comedy.

There were moments of last weeks show that I liked but this week's was stronger. I think there was more continuity when it all linked back to the treehouse. I loved the bit where he was painting the picture and the group going to see the jelly fox was just plain weird but strangely interesting. I'll definitely tune in again. It's like getting lost in a strange world for 30mins, in a good way.

My cat loves this show. He NEVER watches telly but he was glued tonight. I don't really like it myself. It's hypnotic but it doesn't make me laugh. I find myself drifting off and feeling my pupils expand as I watch the pretty colours. It's the aquarium of comedy shows.

For the record Zooo, I reckon if Renegade's sketch appeared on this show I seriously doubt you'd be going "Hold on, no way was that sketch written by Noel!" Honest, you'd never twig. Renegade's little piss-take is actually fairly on the nose.

I really like Noel in the Boosh and IT Crowd, and I laugh at his stand-up but this ain't for me. Ah well, not the end of the world.

Quote: Lee Henman @ February 3 2012, 3:01 AM GMT

For the record Zooo, I reckon if Renegade's sketch appeared on this show I seriously doubt you'd be going "Hold on, no way was that sketch written by Noel!" Honest, you'd never twig. Renegade's little piss-take is actually fairly on the nose.

No.

Quote: Otterfox @ February 3 2012, 12:45 AM GMT

There were moments of last weeks show that I liked but this week's was stronger. I think there was more continuity when it all linked back to the treehouse. I loved the bit where he was painting the picture and the group going to see the jelly fox was just plain weird but strangely interesting. I'll definitely tune in again. It's like getting lost in a strange world for 30mins, in a good way.

Agree.

I was reminded of Tim Walker's dismissal of Victoria Wood in another thread with reference to eccles cakes and woman's weekly or something similar.

Parodying someone's style shouldn't be that difficult for a writer, especially if they have a distinctive one, like Noel. Most parodies merely pick on the surface aspects of someone's style. Noel's writing is about the essential meaninglessness and interchangeability of words and images in our modern media-soaked lives. He appears to be interested in seeing how far he can push these associative images and memes without losing narrative.

The green spoon in Noel's show is actually a snake - clearly an attempt to create a concept of two visually similar objects that could not be more differentiated - this is formally the comedy aspect. The spoon's repeated refrain is; "Am I nothing?" - a reference to the fact that it is really only the bearer of qualities rather than possessing any itself. This also slots into the reference to the Wizard of Oz where the characters are seeking completeness in some way.

RC's snake has an afro and is called Mr. Thrombosis. There is no relation between any of these elements - indeed they have been chosen precisely for their non-associative aspects. This is a misunderstanding of what Noel does. the same could be said about Simon Amstel's comments.

It's the aquarium of comedy shows.

Now that is BCG Newsletter quoteworthy.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 3 2012, 12:27 PM GMT

RC's snake has an afro and is called Mr. Thrombosis. There is no relation between any of these elements - indeed they have been chosen precisely for their non-associative aspects. This is a misunderstanding of what Noel does. the same could be said about Simon Amstel's comments.

My Spoon is related to the music business and is not a snake. Anyone can write a snake spoon with existential issues, mine was a cutting satire on global consumerism and how manufactured music is fed to the masses via machines. The spoon is the instrument of said feeding.

And a thrombosis is a blockage that stops blood flowing freely. In this case, the blood is music. (and it's a funny sounding name)

Obviously. Huh?

I thought it was much better, had some actual jokes that went somewhere.

Like the 4 characters on a journey, and the motorcyclists who ended up in another sketch.

That bit of extra structure really helped

Quote: sootyj @ February 3 2012, 12:42 PM GMT

Like the 4 characters on a journey,

That really was great, and a bit hypnotic and unnerving with the other three's repeated noises and phrases. And the payoff with Noel playing with the cardboard castle on his head was very funny.

The pay off was killer, I was getting a little bored with them.

And then Boom! Surprise punch which tied into all the other stuff.

Getting much closer to the Reeves and Mortimer stylee.

There's a thread of creepiness and darkness alongside much of the colourful silliness. You get that with R & M too.

I watched them both one after the other and didn't see much difference between them. The comments earlier in the thread about it being rubbish and embarrassing remind me of the reception of Tramadol Nights and puzzle me greatly.

It seems that people have a very narrow idea of what they think a TV programme should be and they are not happy taking bits and pieces from a show but insist on having to like it 100% as if they'd written it themselves.

Noel gets sent a box of cereal called Secret Pieces that turns out to be someone's shit. 'Are they in the shops then?' He asks, 'No but they're outside the shops, by the bush.' How can anyone not laugh at that?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 3 2012, 12:51 PM GMT

There's a thread of creepiness and darkness alongside much of the colourful silliness. You get that with R & M too.

The sketch with the ghost of a flea - Noel in the muscle-suit with the bulbs on his back, visiting Rich Fulcher - was one of the strangest and most disturbing things I've ever seen and quite brilliant. It will be on YouTube forever.