Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy - Series 1 Page 11

Quote: Mark @ January 29 2012, 1:47 PM GMT

Even though it's not worked (based on the reactions over the last 10 pages)

I imagine many who didn't like it will continue to do so, but there has only been one episode broadcast; I would imagine something like this is the sort of show that would gradually get new fans as a few people go from WTF to tolerance, to quite enjoying it. Maybe.

Putting random words together doesn't make it funny,

What a herring., giraffe attitude!

I know that I am late in posting but I have just watched NFLC on catchup and I'm not upset I'm just disappointed. After being brought up watching Python, The Young Ones, Vic and Bob] and the Boosh (and many well known others), I like to think that I am well versed in "surreal" comedy. Not one half smile was raised. The ego of this man - that I always thought was bravado - is huge, making us "norms" not only feel out of the loop but embarrassed to watch. I know I am repeating a lot of what others have said but it does have to be said again so that E4 take notice. I always thought before that Noel was talented but now it is patently obvious that Julian was the one that carried the Boosh. Having now watched everything that he has been in - Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Nathan Barley, The IT Crowd and others - he has always been carried by the other performers. The fact is this is "TMB-Reloaded" without the talent.

Quote: mrs garrison x @ January 30 2012, 3:24 PM GMT

The ego of this man -

What was egotistical? That he was in each sketch? That it was his own show?

Unless it was entirely for comedic/ironic purposes the laughing at his own gags seemed a bit vain.

But then I suppose Reeves and Mortimer do the same, but I like their show.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 30 2012, 3:54 PM GMT

What was egotistical? That he was in each sketch? That it was his own show?

It's not that he's in his own show, that it's got his name in the title or that he's in every sketch. It's the expectation that everyone will find this funny. I don't not like him - I was at one stage a superfan of the Boosh.

Quote: mrs garrison x @ January 30 2012, 4:13 PM GMT

It's not that he's in his own show, that it's got his name in the title or that he's in every sketch. It's the expectation that everyone will find this funny. I don't not like him - I was at one stage a superfan of the Boosh.

To be fair, I doubt he expected everyone to find it funny; there isn't a single show that EVERYONE finds funny. Especially with odder shows such as this.

Quote: sootyj @ January 30 2012, 4:02 PM GMT

Unless it was entirely for comedic/ironic purposes the laughing at his own gags seemed a bit vain.

I read you mentioning that before watching, but didn't notice it much; except for when it fitted the character to laugh; like the police one, or the lion.

No that's germaine.

I meant the bit in his office, when he was chuffling about Andy Warhol being his cleaner and such like.

That is fair. But you have to admit that this is absolute rubbish. If it gets a second series it means that some kind of sexual activity has taken place, lol x

This ain't a sketch show - it's a 30 minute Supergrass video.

I do applaud Channel 4 for just letting him get on and make something as he wanted to.

Or did they? We're all assuming this series is, more or less, completely Noel's vision. Perhaps it's yet another comedy made by committee.

I seem to have enjoyed this more than most, not that I'm about to rave about it. But there was certainly enough there to send me back for more this week. Somebody mentioned the possibility of it becoming funnier as it becomes more familiar - which was always my experience with R&M, so hoping it will indeed be the case here too.

I thought it was quite funny in parts, though none of it was really laugh out loud.

The lion having a breakdown in captivity was clever, and I liked the bit at the end with Pele and the saucer. I can't see the rest of the series getting very good ratings though.

I quite enjoyed it. Not the best show I've ever seen but much rather watch something like this where someone is trying to do something different than say the Life of Riley!

I loved the Pele football/saucer bit and a few other sketches raised a laugh or two. I'll definitely be tuning in again.

It was never going to be a mainstream hit; it's good to see he has made the show he wanted to make and not compromised.

Quote: Tom G @ January 30 2012, 11:00 PM GMT

I quite enjoyed it. Not the best show I've ever seen but much rather watch something like this where someone is trying to do something different than say the Life of Riley!

Are they the two choices we face in this country? Life of Riley and Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy? :(

No but a lot of rubbish/safe comedy gets made these days. Nice to see original and more risky comedy being supported.