British Comedy Guide

British comedy is no longer funny Page 26

Steve Sunshine

• Sunday 2nd April 2017, 2:49am
  • Dagenham, England
  • 14390 posts

I've nothing to add as I've only read page 1 & page 25
Apart from, have things got any better since then?

I usually watch the US comedy shows these days, rather than the UK ones

Monkeys Grimace

• Monday 3rd April 2017, 1:03am [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 4 posts

Left-wing comedians making jokes about Trump/ Brexit/ Tories in front of right-on London audiences, it's extremely stale, we need an alternative to alternative comedy.

I won't hold my breath though, we don't seem to have these movements anymore, when I was growing up there was a new musical movement every few years; punk, New Wave, Ska, Mod Revival, doesn't happen with music anymore so I doubt it will with comedy either.

Davida Grimes

• Monday 3rd April 2017, 1:12am
  • Oregon USA, United States
  • 229 posts

Ah yes, everything was better in the good ol' days. *slight sarcasm due to the fact that everyone seems to think things were better when they were younger when really there's always been about the same gold:garbage ratio across time*

In my eyes there is more good comedy being made now than ever before. There's a lot of garbage too that comes along with it. But you really don't have to look that hard to find good new comedy. Call me naive if you wish. I'll remain vaguely optimistic regardless.

And that's not to say most of the comedy I like is new. Most of it is at least somewhat old. But the past is a lot more expansive than the present, so why shouldn't that be the case?

Monkeys Grimace

• Monday 3rd April 2017, 1:20am
  • United Kingdom
  • 4 posts

"Alternative" comedy has been the mainstream for so long though, for about 25-30 years, time we had something new.

Davida Grimes

• Monday 3rd April 2017, 3:46am
  • Oregon USA, United States
  • 229 posts

Then don't look to the mainstream. Surely there are plenty of other streams.

chipolata

• Friday 19th May 2017, 10:48am
  • England
  • 29286 posts

Is there much British comedy now? It seems that there's proportionately less now than ever before.

Will Cam

• Friday 19th May 2017, 1:41pm
  • England
  • 7263 posts

There's the Labour Party.

Michael Monkhouse

• Friday 19th May 2017, 1:43pm
  • Eternal City, Italy
  • 2750 posts

Sheets, covers and quilts are no longer funny. Sorry, that's a blanket statement.

WarmWasp

• Saturday 20th May 2017, 11:49pm [Edited]
  • London, United Kingdom
  • 12 posts

I would agree that British comedy has declined in quality; if, like the good ol' days, your exposure is BBC1/2/ITV & C4. There's far more great stuff out there if you broaden the search.

The internet is awash with quality, not to mention a far greater availability and ability to get stuff commissioned or independently produced.

With the abundence, I'd concede there's more crap content but at the same time there are gems. When there's that ease in production, there's understandably an ability to take more chances in throwing hot tods at the wall to see what sticks

beaky

• Sunday 21st May 2017, 8:23pm [Edited]
  • Malaga, Spain
  • 1731 posts

Watch Fleabag