British comedy is no longer funny Page 24

Quote: RachRight @ January 18 2013, 3:41 PM GMT

I agree not even online comedy is funny anymore for example this could do well if it wasn't for the fart joke at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecKY3yDq8k#!

SERIOUSLY why do people find it funny to put FARTS on the end of comedy or in comedy! THEY AREN'T funny

Are you saying farts aren't funny?

That's news to me. Farts rock.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ January 18 2013, 3:43 PM GMT

*Picks Rach up after her stumble

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 25 2012, 11:40 AM GMT

I think it's time we all came to admit, that British television comedy isn't funny anymore.

As a viewing audience we have been force fed and completely subdued by dull, saccarhin, unchallenging, uncontroversial but most of all, unfunny sitcoms, stand up performers and panel shows.

Nothing is cutting edge or outrageous or subversive anymore. Sure, there are lots of comedy programmes on, but none of them actually make you laugh out loud. Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow, Outnumbered, Russell Howard's Good News, Rev - all fine programmes, lovingly crafted and brought to you by credible production companies - they make you smile, but they don't actually make you laugh.

Hey, I like being filled with safe, middle class, nice-nice feelings as much as the next guy, but it's got to the point where I can't sit through these programmes anymore.

Bizarrely, it's American comedy shows such as South Park, Family Guy and Curb Your Enthusiasm that are really pushing the boundries. They regularly make jokes about sex, incest, child abuse, murder, kidnapping, politics, race, etc., but most of all, they are subversive of both modern culture and the television genre itself.

This used to be a British preserve and now we've lost out to the Yanks. And yes, you can cite the odd programme, like Peep Show, but it is so buried under a mass of bland, corporate, on message, offend no one, family audience, prozac inspired, lifeless crap, that you can barely see it.

I'm hoping things will change soon, but as the audience becomes less and less demanding and the programme makers more and more afraid, I'm not sure if it ever will.

I couldn't agree more with this and the BBC seems to be the pied piper of this horse shit. My Family? Miranda? Outnumbered? Nothing challenging here. Oh isn't middle class England funny? Erm well no actually, ecspecially when it comes gift wrapped in a politically correct ribbon. I'd rather cut my dick off with a rusty pen knife than watch this drivel.

Quote: dinkyboo @ January 22 2013, 12:57 PM GMT

I'd rather cut my dick off with a rusty pen knife than watch this drivel.

Or you could put in a classic DVD. ;)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ January 22 2013, 1:00 PM GMT

Or you could put in a classic DVD. ;)

Hey, if wants to cut his own dick off, then you let him do it.

If only the kids on Outnumbered were cutting their dicks off and injecting heroin instead of being so darn middle class, maybe you'd find it a lot funnier?

What's this "cuttting dicks off"-talk all about. Did I miss a new trend? ;)

About the heroin: They should at least use clean needles.

I expect Cath Kidston has a range.

:D

"Hello Kitty" syringe and tourniquet set?

Oooh. I'm taking up heroin!

Agreed! I'm so excited about the Sue Perkins sitcom I might melt.

Quote: dinkyboo @ January 22 2013, 12:57 PM GMT

I'd rather cut my dick off with a rusty pen knife than watch this drivel.

If so, maybe you could document your experiences for this competition, whose attempts to put the Beeb at the cutting edge of comedy also attracted the ire of the original poster. :)

Quote: Ben700 @ January 22 2013, 4:09 PM GMT

Looking at the New British TV Comedies For 2013, (and the returning shows) I think it's safe to say British Comedy is in a very healthy position right now.

Quite a lot I'm looking forward to.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/new_british_tv_comedy_for_2013/

Oohh, a new Ben Elton sitcom...hopefully a return to form.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ January 22 2013, 7:26 PM GMT

Oohh, a new Ben Elton sitcom...hopefully a return to form.

Is this really our only hope? We are truly screwed.