British comedy is no longer funny Page 23

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 13 2012, 12:34 PM BST

all the shows I mentioned, I think, are good to different degrees, but then what do I know.

And that's the problem with shows on SKY. I don't have SKY but as you seemingly like every piece of comedy ever broadcast (to different degrees), I cannot take your recommendations at face value.

The fact that you cite Cuckoo as one of the comedy highlights of 2012 means I can never fully trust your opinion.

Other than that, I think you are a great bloke.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 13 2012, 12:55 PM BST

And that's the problem with shows on SKY. I don't have SKY but as you seemingly like every piece of comedy ever broadcast (to different degrees), I cannot take your recommendations at face value.

The fact that you cite Cuckoo as one of the comedy highlights of 2012 means I can never fully trust your opinion.

Other than that, I think you are a great bloke.

:D

Cuckoo isn't a comedy highlight, but it makes a list of decent-to-good comedy for sure. There's loads of comedy I don't care for, but then I don't tend to talk about them. At least not on here, I use my own name, people read the threads for their shows, and I'm a coward. I also find as I get older that I'm not so black and white about shows, I can find merit in otherwise poor shows.

I also don't have SKY.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 13 2012, 1:00 PM BST

I use my own name, people read the threads for their shows, and I'm a coward.

I wouldn't call you a coward Matthew, I think brown nosing bum licker, who lives in the hope of getting a comedy writing job through blatant sychophancy, would be a much more apt title. ;) :P :P

I am, of course, only joking. Just as Lee Henman also professed in another thread, the lack of anonymity and desire to work in the industry has mitigated his critical appraisal. I congratulated him for being honest about his motivations and I also honestly congratulate you.

Now that you've established that your opinion is tainted through self interest, I shall view any recommendations from you as meaningless spam from now on.

Wave

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 13 2012, 1:10 PM BST

Now that you've established that your opinion is tainted through self interest, I shall view any recommendations from you as meaningless spam from now on.

Laughing out loud

(But seriously, Moone Boy really is very good indeed.)

Teary

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 13 2012, 2:41 PM BST

Teary

Console <3 Lovey :S

I'm finding it difficult to believe that it's a climate of censorship that makes comedy crap when Jeremy Clarkson and Jonathan Ross are two of the highest paid people on TV, Walliams and Lucas' followup to the increasingly offensive Little Britain involves acting in blackface, and even an apparently very safe and family friendly new show like Citizen Khan picks the one demographic that's even more likely than Daily Mail readers to complain about something without watching it.

All of the above generated far more manufactured "controversy" than a hypothetical genuinely witty show on BBC3 that tabloid journos wouldn't watch anyway.

Then again, it seems at times in this thread "subversive" is being used as a synonym for "good". Horrible Histories as an example? I used to get the books recommended to me by my teachers when I was in primary school in the early Nineties. The show sounds original and quite possibly brilliant, but subversive?

I like John Plowman's comments earlier in the year to the effect you'd probably get better sitcoms if you apportioned a higher proportion of the show's budget to writers. The less-than-lucrative reward of approx 12 months lower-middle-class salary in writing fees per series doesn't exactly deter people from pitching comedy scripts, but it presumably does deter them from doing too much rewriting or taking on board a few more contributors to give it a polish once they've got the commission.

I think I may be possibly missing out on some good shows simply because I'm unaware of them in the schedule.

My husband would rather watch movies than TV, so I mainly get to watch all the repeats on Dave most of the time, where Mock the Week is still talking about how Gordon Brown wants Tony Blair's job.

That said some of what I have caught hasn't been amazing but I might not have given it the chance it deserves, there must be something in these shows or they wouldn't have made them I would hope.

I think perhaps they could do with scheduling things in a way that they used to, On Friday nights Channel 4 used to be nothing but comedy, so I used to just leave it on that channel and watch whatever they put on because if you weren't so keen on that show they'll be another one on in a minute.

It's a shame that there isn't more great television on at the moment, this is the ideal time to get viewers, everyone is too broke to go out.

Quote: Mutley @ January 17 2013, 7:44 PM GMT

I think I may be possibly missing out on some good shows simply because I'm unaware of them in the schedule.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/schedule/

Thank you. Will give Way to Go a go

Thought Way To Go was refreshing, particularly if you've recently endured Miranda. Sharp lines, classy actors and it's about a euthanasia service.

Hi btw, been lurking for a while.

Hi Caesar! Wave

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 13 2012, 1:00 PM BST

There's loads of comedy I don't care for, but then I don't tend to talk about them. At least not on here, I use my own name, people read the threads for their shows, and I'm a coward.

F**kin' hell. Now it makes sense. Only a mental defective could have displayed such a reduced critical response. Of course you use your real name here and you don't want to be on the record slagging shows - that makes perfect sense.

I hadn't realised it was your real name.

I agree not even online comedy is funny anymore for example this could do well if it wasn't for the fart joke at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecKY3yDq8k#!

SERIOUSLY why do people find it funny to put FARTS on the end of comedy or in comedy! THEY AREN'T funny

*Picks Rach up after her stumble