British comedy is no longer funny Page 22

I have nothing against Family Guy, but I don't think it should be described as 'edgy'. Insulting a celebrity's appearance then referencing a TV show from the 1980s is not cutting edge.

I don't think there is any lack of talent or willingness to come up with good stuff in Britain. Unfortuantely I think it's all down to TV Controllers being unwilling to take risks at the moment. Partialy for financial reasons during a time of recession (understandable), and partialy to avoid upsetting certain easily offended people (not so understandable).

Quote: DougWonnacott @ March 22 2012, 4:02 PM GMT

I have nothing against Family Guy, but I don't think it should be described as 'edgy'. Insulting a celebrity's appearance then referencing a TV show from the 1980s is not cutting edge.

I don't think there is any lack of talent or willingness to come up with good stuff in Britain. Unfortuantely I think it's all down to TV Controllers being unwilling to take risks at the moment. Partialy for financial reasons during a time of recession (understandable), and partialy to avoid upsetting certain easily offended people (not so understandable).

I agree. Family Guy is hardly cutting edge. All that happens is that someone will say "This is like that time when..." and then cue an annoying and UTTERLY pointless pop-culture reference in which Peter talks to Michael Jackson dressed as Darth Vader. Or something...

South Park is clever, funnier and better than Family Guy by miles. And that's only one show. Seth MacFarlane had to pad out his piss-poor comedy onto three piss poor shows.

I agree that British comedy is becoming quite stale. I find almost everything I watch is American (Community, Always Sunny, Curb) and none of the British shows appeal to me now. I really cannot stand Miranda, Mrs. Brown's Boys and those sort of shows, I did enjoy Pramface and Him & Her but wouldnt go out of my way to watch them again. Britain needs another 'The Office' to come round and bring forward British comedy.

There are plenty of comedies around that are doing inventive things with format, like The Office did - just few of them anymore are all that funny.

Hi, I am an aspiring South African YouTuber, yes, I live in Africa. My latest video is about Africa and what most people seem to think Africa is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFgk1Tico6U&list=PL225B03693B821966&index=1&feature=plcp

That is the video about Africa.
Check it out.

marrowbros

Welcome to the site, marrowbros. I'm not sure what that has to do with a discussion on the tate of contemporary British comedy, however? Perhaps you'd like to start a thread in Showcase to exhibit your video?

I agree about Family Guy. It's f**king awful and the constant references that some of my mates make to it are genuinely annoying. Also I think that people who get off on shouting 'giggity' should seek some form of help. Definitely prefer South Park, which is occasionally one of my guilty pleasures of an evening...

Don't entirely agree that British comedy is no longer funny though. Not Going Out, Rev and Twenty Twelve are just a few recent examples of genuinely good comedy in this country.

So this thread was set up in January; it occured to me today that this year has been really quite a good one for solid-to-great British comedy on TV. Obviously many won't agree and think most of the shows I'm about to name are crap, but off the top of my head I'd name Moone Boy, Friday Night Dinner, Walking And Talking, Partridge, Grandma's House, Thick Of It, Cardinal Burns, Red Dwarf, Fresh Meat, Hunderby, Cuckoo as being more than well worth a watch. Plus there were pilots like Bad Sugar and Dawson Bros. Funtime that you could throw into the mix, and other stuff I'm probably forgetting. I think there's new Peep Show to come too before the year is out. Not bad, really; especially compared to recent years.

I want someone to list the output from other years before I decide.
But having Partridge would probably Guarantee 2012 not being bottom of the pile.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 12 2012, 11:54 PM BST

I want someone to list the output from other years before I decide.
But having Partridge would probably Guarantee 2012 not being bottom of the pile.

I think it's also having so many good things at the same time, too; often recently it's seemed like there's, at best, one decent comedy on. Right now there are probably six or seven.

SKY has definitely had an impact in increasing the amount of decent comedy on, too.

I look forward to RC, the creator of this thread, agreeing with me in an understated manner. :P

It's true
I'm not a fan of it all but Spy for example seemed half decent.
& I've watched Threesome a few times & enjoyed it.

Quote: Skeadugenga @ February 27 2012, 5:50 PM GMT

I tend to agree with Renegade Carpark - reading the BCG newsletter these days is just depressing. I don't want to live in a world where "Mrs Brown's Boys" is prime time comedy.

As well as playing it safe, all channels seem to be obsessed with ratings and going for the lowest common deonominator. It's only a matter of time before "Strictly Big Fat Gypsy Weddings". Understandable from ITV, but wasn't the BBC funded so that they didn't need to chase ratings and could develop quality shows?

I saw ten minutes of Mrs. Brown's Boys once ... that was 10 minutes too much! If replacing the classic 'feck off' from the beloved Father Ted with f**king this and f**king that is classed as comedy then things really have hit rock bottom!

And as for all the brainless morons who can't even speak or have an IQ equal to (or less than) a cucumber sandwich, but make a mint out of such shows as Big Crap Gypsy Weddings or The Only Way Is Inbreds, then I can only come to the conclusion that the heads of the channels that make or show them must be chavs or single mums living on council estates, as that seem to be the target audience and there are now hundreds of these shitty programmes clogging our airwaves!

F**k the Chelsea set, f**k Esssex, f**k gyppos, f**k Peter Aandre and Katie Price (no thanks) and f**k all the heads of channels who show them! Damn, that feels better after getting that off my chest. Rant over. :)

Like watching stand-up Live At The Apollo. Good stand up comedy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 12 2012, 11:50 PM BST

So this thread was set up in January; it occured to me today that this year has been really quite a good one for solid-to-great British comedy on TV. Obviously many won't agree and think most of the shows I'm about to name are crap, but off the top of my head I'd name Grandma's House, Thick Of It

Two decent series - but also two returning series. Throwing in Partridge doesn't count because no television company gambled on it, it was up to a firm that makes piss weak Ozzie lager to actually believe in Steve Coogan again.

Your analysis that 2012 is a good year for comedy is reminiscent of North Korea saying that their citizens are well fed.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 12 2012, 11:58 PM BST

I look forward to RC, the creator of this thread, agreeing with me in an understated manner. :P

:P :P

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 13 2012, 12:31 PM BST

Two decent series - but also two returning series. Throwing in Partridge doesn't count because no television company gambled on it, it was up to a firm that makes piss weak Ozzie lager to actually believe in Steve Coogan again.

Firstly, that's only your opinion, all the shows I mentioned, I think, are good to different degrees, but then what do I know. It also doesn't matter if they're brand new or returning, that makes no difference to whether they're good or not. Also, I don't believe you've even watched several of the shows listed! Also, there was more new Partridge than just the TV broadcasts of Mid-Morning Matters. Finally, you hate almost everything anyway. :P